Dashpad screw inserts

Does anyone know were to find the inserts that go in the dashpad for screwing the screw in? I know they are out there somewhere. I might have to go with the type I jerry-rigged my other dash with if I can not find the original type. Thank you

If I understand your question, I dont believe there are any inserts, the screws just screw into the plastic portion of the dash pad. If you find a good way of repairing a stripped hole I would like to hear it. Mike

Apparently you have not had your dash off and looked to see what I am referring to. There are plastic inserts that the screws self tap into. I have used a nut plate type insert that has an 8-32 or 10-32 screw threads that I have adhered with a product called Belzona super metal. It was actually better then OEM but I wanted to see if I can find the OEM type first.

They are called bath tub nuts(because of the shape) and I bought mine at Auto Zone on one of these turn around racks for fasteners.

They come in a variety pack so you may need to buy 3 or more packs to get enough.

Originally the screws went straight into the dash until the screw holes became wobbled out.

These bath tub nuts work great.

I didn't like using a larger screw beacuse it didn't fit the wood trim bezel as well.

One of our other members put me on to them.

I did have to modify the spot on the dashpad to except these plastic nuts.

What I bought was a Dorman Product # 961-350 and there are 3 of this type in a pack of 12.

Just make the place you want to use it at big enough so you can pop it in. You shouldn't have to glue it in.

Thanks Big Jim; this will ease my search. I have been to Lowes and McClendon’s and have found a few items I bought that may work even better then them' as they are threaded instead of self tapping. I have three options so far to choose from. Although I will keep my eye out for these bath tub nuts.

Apparently you have not had your dash off and looked to see what I am referring to. There are plastic inserts that the screws self tap into. I have used a nut plate type insert that has an 8-32 or 10-32 screw threads that I have adhered with a product called Belzona super metal. It was actually better then OEM but I wanted to see if I can find the OEM type first.

I just looked at one that I was preparing to install on my car, I cant see any inserts. Are they under the vinyl that wraps around the bottom of the pad ? I hate to take a razor blade to a pad that I just dyed but it looks like the threads just screw into the plastic inner body of the pad. Thanks for helping me understand. Mike

confused After thinking about it more, I pulled off the original pad from my 71 model car and looked and it had the "bathtub" nuts, but the one I dyed to replace it(I dont know what year model it is) does not have any, the screws just thread into the plastic structure of the pad. Also, I would almost swear the car of my youth did not have the nuts either nutz . I would be interested in info on the plate nut and adhesive you used on your last repair. smile Thanks Mike

I will try to get some pics of it when I get started. I have no life; working 7 days a week.

@ the lazy "B" during the week and Intel sales rep. on weekends. In fact I am @ the Lazy "B" right now making time & 1/2, smile I like double time better, but will settle for time & 1/2 eek

Just FYI .. I am sure the "bathtub" nuts offer a good solution per the responses to date; but let me add my 2 cents = I took the screw to the local Lowes hardawre section and purchased the plastic "barbed" drywall inserts used to secure things to sheetrock (making sure the screws in the package were the same OD as the dashpad screw). They are about 3/4" long and can be pressed into the strippped out hole in the pad if you drill out the worn hole just a little itty bit to allow for a press fit. I then tapped then into place with a hammer (very gently) .. As noted, in one of the responses, you will want to keep the screw size that will allow it to seat properly in the wood grain bezel.

I'm going to look for those bath tub nuts next time I'm at the auto store; anyone got a photo they can post? I'm sure they could be used to solution other problems I will encounter in the future.

Thanks for the responses.

I dont think you will have trouble finding the nuts but it can be seen here

http://www.tfcplc.com/pdfs/25.pdf#search=\'bathtub%20nuts\'

or in the link he posted

http://www.circlips.com.au/fast.htm

on the bottom right of the panel fastener section

It seems that we have found another variation in construction of these cars. The bathtub nuts would be easier to replace when stripped than dealing with stripped threads in the plastic pad itself. Mike

RaleighSS those barbs you are talking about is one of the three options I picked up. Although they would not work that well for the glove box section but another of the three item I picked up may work as well or better then the bathtub option. I am going to start on it in a little while and will take some pics.

Yep, I forgot to mention that on mine, the 2 screws going into the pad above the glove box were "holding ok" w/o any need for "help". It appeared there was a thicker / stiffer material in this section of the pad, and was not a prone to stripping/wearing out. Just FYI, I puchased new screws and "spring clips" from Classic Muscle here in NC.

Can you imagine how many times these pads may have been on and off in 36 years, as any bulb replacement or instrument "work" requires it's removal.

Snake you are not alone here. My 72 FGMC doesn't have any type of insert either. Just like a lot of other stuff from cars built during the FGMC era, no two cars are exactly alike. I'm looking for a stripped dash pad solution as well. I'm still having trouble envisioning those bathtub nuts guys are talking about here. Can anyone narrow it down a little more please?

BB