pics of body off of frame

looter

Hey Warren, does this help..??? you just have to look and overlook the Conv, and stationwagon stuff and go with the chevelle and Monte ones.... Going from memory from when I saw your monte you should have the E Brake cable in the drivers bottom corner there coming up through the frame and going into the firewall very low in the corner and that HAS to come out of there before removal and a small hose clamp around the tindle fingers to squeeze them all at once to get it out helps, The fuel tank even though removed will still have a single black wire that is tiny screwed into the body floor unless cut will tie into the tank wireing that feeds through the rear frame crossover and into the trunk area behind the bumper. That should be it based off what I saw there bareing mind that you have now since pulled the negine and tranny if not that tranny stuff will have to be undone that goes up the firewall as that was a bench seat car right.??? .....

Darren.

bodymounts.jpg

Thats Kind of what I was pictureing it was looking like...WOW.. so far so good but I dont think I would want to undo those bodymounts while she is in that position...LOL... I wish I had one of those when I did the Chevelle, man I had to use 2 engine hoists and 4ft saw horses to get the body off and high enough to roll out the chassis with tires still left on. I would imagine the frame is going off to get sandblasted after that??

Yeah I think all you would have to do is that E brake cable and the bodymounts and then she is good to lift..

Darren

great work so far eh...!

I have some pictures in my gallery of when we took the body off the frame, but I don't know how much help they might be.

Darren, that illustration is awesome! Where did you find that?

Hey DJ, I have a whole book/Binder full of the complete Factory assembly Manual for the 70 Chevelle/Monte Carlo and tons of pictures and all GM part numbers in it includeing NLA or discontinues items such as Air ride and fiber optics etc, the book is thicker than the Yellow pages so a good 4 inches..Let me know if you need any info I can scan and email them off..

Darren.

it's coming along. going to finish prepping the floor this weekend and hopefully get a coat of por15 on it by the end of sunday.

then bring it down, pull the body and then paint the spots hidden by the frame and the frame itself.

Figured I've come this far might as well keep going. It's more labour than $$ at this point.

Hey DJ, I have a whole book/Binder full of the complete Factory assembly Manual for the 70 Chevelle/Monte Carlo and tons of pictures and all GM part numbers in it includeing NLA or discontinues items such as Air ride and fiber optics etc, the book is thicker than the Yellow pages so a good 4 inches..Let me know if you need any info I can scan and email them off..

Darren.

You have yourself a deal, sir. I expect the body to back from the paint shop in a couple months, then begins the long (and pricey) process of putting it back together.

I have a CD with GM's original part numbers for everything on the car. Indexed as well as exploded illustrations showing what part is what. Bought it a couple years ago, haven't gone through it entirely so I'm not sure what may or may not be included in there (although I got the impression it's all there). Heck, it may print out to a phone book size! But if it's lacking anything, I'll definitely be posting in the forums.

Hey, if you (or anybody else) want, I can copy and mail the CD. Should only be like $5 to ship it anywhere, I would imagine.

Or this?

100_4431.jpg

100_4432.jpg

100_4433.jpg

Lots of beer grin

Originally Posted By: bigtankjones
And allot of friends laugh

Both very good ideas... Maybe the lots of Beer will bring lots of friends... I did mine by myself crazyand would not recommend doing it, Scared myself a couple times.. whistle

those are good.

I need them to plan how I'm going to get these to properly fit.

z06.jpg

zo61.jpg

19x12 Z06 wheels.

the plan for now is get them spaced as close to the rolled lip and then notch the frame and weld a plate in place to firm everything back up.

I'm a sucker for punishment.......

Or this?

100_4431.jpg

100_4432.jpg

100_4433.jpg

Originally Posted By: cny first gen 71
Lots of beer grin

Both very good ideas... Maybe the lots of Beer will bring lots of friends... I did mine by myself crazyand would not recommend doing it, Scared myself a couple times.. whistle

By the looks of the picture at the bottom for your signature. You have come along way. do you have any more up to date pictures, Steve?

Originally Posted By: Slaman
Or this?

100_4431.jpg

100_4432.jpg

100_4433.jpg

Originally Posted By: cny first gen 71
Lots of beer grin

By the looks of the picture at the bottom for your signature. You have come along way. do you have any more up to date pictures, Steve?

That is the most recent picture of it as a whole, but I have alot of pics of the process in my album.

Here is a link to my album . It has been a slow process, hoping to get it in paint this spring/summer.

That is the most recent picture of it as a whole, but I have alot of pics of the process in my album.

Here is a link to my album . It has been a slow process, hoping to get it in paint this spring/summer.

Holy cow, man! Just looked through the whole album. You've done SO much work man! Looks great!

those are good.

z06.jpg

zo61.jpg

19x12 Z06 wheels.

the plan for now is get them spaced as close to the rolled lip and then notch the frame and weld a plate in place to firm everything back up.

Good luck with those rims Warren....12 inches might be tough and notching the frame is the only way I think? as I just by the skin of my teeth got these 10 inchers on the back of the chevelle and its rear quarter bulges more than the Monte...

Darren.

021-1.jpg

008.jpg

ya Darren, I'm plotting the frame notch as we speak.....nothing a cutoff wheel and a welder cant' fix. lol

Shawn, it's a Canadian company called MPS International, they are from Ontario.

I had never seen one before but it's super handy so far despite not being able to do suspension work while it's tilted up.

• 3 months later...

hey Slaman..how did you actually lift the body off the frame to get the jack stand, cinder block combo under there?..did you lift from the front or use to engine hoist????

The front I lifted with the engine hoist with a chain strung in between the upper fender mounts on the firewall. The rear was trickier, I jaked it up with bottle jacks under the rockers, IIRC, until I could get the 4X4 in between the frame and body. then would alternate how high I could get it with the jack, adjust the jackstand, then block up the jack some more... As I said, it scared me a couple times... I also ended up taking the front wheels off and putting the front cross member on a floor jack to get it out from under the rear of the car.

Putting it back on I put the engine hoist in through the door opening and used 2 chains in a x pattern between seat belt bolt holes and lifted it that way.

Steve

Hummmm so lookin back over your post..do you think you could have used the engine hoist through the door into the seat belt holes method the first time to lift the body? Im trying to see what I will need to do to lift the body off the frame......

those are good.

z06.jpg

zo61.jpg

19x12 Z06 wheels.

WOW!!! WOW!! HOW ARE YOU GONNA GET THEM ON??

I just got 15X10 in the back and I regret it frown I swapped out the coils and shocks & I still cant go up steep driveways, which sucks cause gas stations usually have those (took me a while to find one I cant clear) I was low on gas the other day and had to go up one and I slashed my own tires cry2 luckily since they're new I only shaved a bit of the tread off. Still, I enjoy Betty less now cause I'm so worried about completely slashing the tires.

GOOD LUCK WITH THEM AND KEEP US POSTED!!