1970 - Monte Carlo Convertible, LS6, M22 - Build

ss454-71

WOW!!! Really fantastic work - you're obviously very skilled - the '70 is looks awesome, and you've done a really nice job integrating the Chevelle components and preserving the lines of the Monte's upper rear quarters where the C-pillar was.

Great work on the garage too (wish I were that handy). smile

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! This project has been a desire for several years or shall i say decades now and hope to be back on it soon!

This is where it sits today! It's an 1.5 hour drive away in storage. So sad. Was going to bring it home this weekend but too much unfinished work on the K10 to bring it home just yet.

282e1d55.jpg

05c2f828.jpg

Here is a sneak peak at the engine. It's a 4 bolt 3963512 block with large oil bungs. It is stamped CE so it was a service replacement LS6 block.

In 1970 they listed an aluminum head L89 ls6 (CRY suffix). This was never believed to be produced so since this is a what if build then why not run winters heads. I decided to go with an 077 head as apposed to the 074 which would have come on a 1970 L89 engine. The 077 head in stock form is a D port design which was supposed to flow better but has the same exterior appearance as the 074.

The intake is a 3963569 aluminum intake correct for the 70-71 LS6 or L78.

Now for the air cleaner.  It is an original dual snorkel housing that is shown in the assembly manual for an LS6 chevelle (without cowl induction) and the monte Carlo.  This air cleaner is extremely difficult to come by to say the least. They were also used on 1970 novas and camaros equipped with a L78 396 375hp.

b6161e96.jpg

fe4e7f57.jpg

78f80ab2.jpg

0c024561.jpg

Ok here is a little bit more on the air cleaner housing. It's part # is 6485257 and is shown in the assembly manual as being correct for an Ls6 chevelle and monte. Below is a copy of the assembly manual for 1971 showing it. They were used in 1970 too.

Sorry about the photo orientation.

c9fdb62e.jpg

3c0a7db0.jpg

30c2fe27.jpg

b1f9c2e9.jpg

Here are some photos of originaly equiped cars with the dual snorkel air cleaner. Notice that none of the high HP cars came with A/C.

1970 L78/L89 nova

l89_nova_31.jpg

1970 L78 camaro

l78396.jpg

1970 LS6 chevelle

IM007361.jpg

Hey Jeff, Time for the Chevelle guy to chime in with some numbers to help as well here... From my days at GM there was supposedly only 9 pairs or 18 single Alluminum heads made and actually sold by GM back in the day but no documention has been recorded by them BUT and this is a big but I have seen personally a Yellow COPO 1970 Chevelle SS LS-6 car with them on and completely done and resold at Barrett Jackson with a build sheet showing the heads on it but not info retained by GM go through and sold the car 2 years ago for a whopping $203,000USD

the owners name was John Hill of Calgary Alberta Canada who now resides in Pheonix AZ. VERY rare and you are right there were NO LS-6 cars sold with A/C it didnt happen just like a 454 4spd Monte Carlo, never happened. That Air Cleaner is ULTRA rare once again the last one sold in that shape with the obvious hidden marks so you knew it was real or not sold for $3128.00USD on Ebaymotors about 4 years ago and only came on NON functional Cowl Induction Hooded cars, they had the Cowl Dome hood but called them Fresh Air hoods only. So the % rate is ridiculous on those heads seeing how 18 were made and in 1970 they made 311,553 chevelle units made altogether.

I know take a breathe..... I got myself all worked up. smile

Basically saying your right so far and keep going with the Monte it is going to be Awesome when she is done...

Darren.

Very nice builds! Your finished Monte is also very nice. I was just wondering why you chose the 69 for the convertible parts? Keep the up the great work, looking forward to seeing them both when done.

Very nice builds! Your finished Monte is also very nice. I was just wondering why you chose the 69 for the convertible parts? Keep the up the great work, looking forward to seeing them both when done.

The car I used for donor parts is a '68 chevelle and just happend to be the first reasonably priced a body I could find at the time. Could have used any 68-72 GM a body convertible. I happen to like how the chevelle q panel tops are shaped. Others prefer the cutlass.

Here is what the LS6/L78 dual snorkel air cleaner looks like on a monte Carlo. Man I wish they released the monte ls6! I put it on my 71 LS5 ss454. Keep in mind the LS6 would not have had air conditioning so I had to use a spacer.

62390b42.jpg

0fa89a02.jpg

153d3de7.jpg

ba897b90.jpg

Hey Jeff, Time for the Chevelle guy to chime in with some numbers to help as well here... From my days at GM there was supposedly only 9 pairs or 18 single Alluminum heads made and actually sold by GM back in the day but no documention has been recorded by them BUT and this is a big but I have seen personally a Yellow COPO 1970 Chevelle SS LS-6 car with them on and completely done and resold at Barrett Jackson with a build sheet showing the heads on it but not info retained by GM go through and sold the car 2 years ago for a whopping $203,000USD

the owners name was John Hill of Calgary Alberta Canada who now resides in Pheonix AZ. VERY rare and you are right there were NO LS-6 cars sold with A/C it didnt happen just like a 454 4spd Monte Carlo, never happened. That Air Cleaner is ULTRA rare once again the last one sold in that shape with the obvious hidden marks so you knew it was real or not sold for $3128.00USD on Ebaymotors about 4 years ago and only came on NON functional Cowl Induction Hooded cars, they had the Cowl Dome hood but called them Fresh Air hoods only. So the % rate is ridiculous on those heads seeing how 18 were made and in 1970 they made 311,553 chevelle units made altogether.

I know take a breathe..... I got myself all worked up. smile

Basically saying your right so far and keep going with the Monte it is going to be Awesome when she is done...

Darren.

Darren,

Thanks for the additional information. By no means do I profess to be an expert or authority on any car so I welcome everyone's input. Although i have obsessed over 70 & 71 monte ss454 cars way too much! I have just collected as much information as I could over the past couple of decades to come up with this "what if" project. A 1st gen Monte convertible, LS6/L89, M22 car could have easily been produced if GM wanted too with little effort on their part. I assume all the tooling was in place outside of the convertible quarter panel for GM to produce such a car.

Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Jeff

PS: I sent you a pm too.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me where the 4 speed floor hump should be cut for a console car? I have a photo of the bottom of the floor tunnel so if anyone can tell me what the dimensions should be it would be a big help! The right side of the photo is the front.

a6fdd4b8.jpg

Wow!, what a build indeed. Definitely impressive skills, not only Am I jealous, I can't wait to see the finished product. What beauties.. cool

Jeff,

I just left my 4-speed, console car in Florida for the next 6 months or I would try to get you a measurement. Actually, I think it would be rather difficult to make either of those bottom side measurements with a transmission in the car. I do have a suggestion, however. You can see in the photo below where the shifter cut-out frame is in relation to the front console mounting pad. I think I can see both of those two holes in the underside photo in your post. That might get you in the ball park.

P1130113.jpg

My second suggestion is that you get one of those metal frames that clamp the shifter boot to the transmission tunnel (as shown in the photo above) and position it on the transmission tunnel where the hump should be. Both the front and back are very near the cutout so eyeballing the frame on your transmission tunnel and imagining a hump that looks like the photo above should also get you close. I doubt that the tolerance is very tight on that hole cutout.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Hey Jeff, Here is my contribution as well... Nice picture Dennis, I hope that some of these might help and in no particular order and sorry for so many. I think the main front on view that I post at the top will help the most maybe, and darn I didnt right down measurements at all.grrrrrrrr. All I can say is my car had the console brackets already welded in the car on the floor so I took the hump thru it on the floor and then placed the console down over top and lined it up with the mounting holes and let the console top plate on loose and slide the now loose floor mount hump until I could look down the console plate openeing and it looked square in the middle top to bottom and side to side then moved the console off carefully and marked the hump on the pan and away I went.....You can see my after pics that it was bang on plus one other Tan chevelle picture too boot so you can see that as well... Darren.

mrgobi006.jpg

mrgobi005.jpgmrgobi004.jpg

CCI20042012_00001.jpg

1970070.jpg1970044-2.jpg

ByQtprwBmkKGrHqJigEw5drmmiyBMQ7mKNgQ_3.j

Thanks for the comments guys. All very helpful information. Any of you guys know who makes the best repop of the hump? I see they range from like $65 to $90 on eBay.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got the car out of storage! I'm still working on the k10 project but at least this one is back on deck and on the rack. Got to clean up the garage too!

1e8b379d.jpg

55ab9159.jpg

79db0d84.jpg

Hey Jeff, while the chevelle is up in the air literally I will get you my measurements for those 2 areas you marked with question marks if that helps.??

Darren.