1970 - Monte Carlo Convertible, LS6, M22 - Build

ss454-71

Darren, that would be great! It would put me in the ballpark and then I can adjust as necessary when mocking it up.

Thank,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry my friend for taking so long but things kept pileing up 2 funerals and not well again but hey press on...

the fore front ? I measured 4-3/8 to 4-1/2 give or take that 1/8". and the rear ? I got 6-1/2 right to the floor brace edge...

Darren.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry my friend for taking so long but things kept pileing up 2 funerals and not well again but hey press on...

the fore front ? I measured 4-3/8 to 4-1/2 give or take that 1/8". and the rear ? I got 6-1/2 right to the floor brace edge...

Darren.

Darren, sounds like you got a lot going on! thanks for the info it will be a great starting point. I will mock it up with those measurements and adjust if needed.

• 1 month later...

Got back on it in the last few weeks. I supported the chassis with floor jacks so it would not flex out of level then continued to mock up the sheet metal and trunk gaps. It seems to be falling right into place. Next going to start butt welding in the inner wheel well tops. It's going to take several mock ups as things progress to make sure the panels align properly.

6768b1e3.jpg

80f2b52e.jpg

90e9e963.jpg

7e91c87a.jpg

bdc5221f.jpg

ede3aca2.jpg

Really nice work, I keep telling myself I dont need another project, but man those pics get me going! cool

Thanks for taking the time to post them, I love to see projects like that

• 3 months later...

Looks Great Jeff.!!!!! did you say you had the convertible pillar posts and header as well to still go on ?? That trunk lid looks great all lined up and gaps are good, and i see you have the correct convertible trunk hinge braces too.. nice.... let me know if you need more measurements or any questions as I am more than happy to help out if i can too......also noticed you have the temp "L" cross braces in at the doors and the center one as well, extremely important those are....

Darren.

Hay Darren,

Hope all is well. The windshield header is tacked in place. When I fit the top mechanism everything lined up great too. This project seems to always take a back seat to everything else but I'm determined to finish it eventually! I will keep you in mind if I need measurements. Thanks for offering.

• 8 months later...

Finally found some time to work on the car this weekend. I decided to mock up the engine and tranny so I could cut the 4 speed hole in the floor. It seems to be dead on. Checked it with a junk console and an original top plate and the shifter clears good.

null-36.jpg

null-35.jpg

null-33.jpg

null-32.jpg

null-29.jpg

null-25.jpg

null-24.jpg

null-26.jpg

null-23.jpg

null-8.jpg

Jeff, Dont forget before you tac it down to run a bead of windshield urethane around the outside of the hole you cut in the floor and then place the hump on top and then tac it down.... that way the rain cant get inbetween the floor and the hump when driving as it will rust away real quick... I sealed the hump in the chevelle to make sure and I have seen another chevelle that didnt and it only took 3 years and rust set in.... just my 2 cents Jeff...

Darren.

Jeff, Dont forget before you tac it down to run a bead of windshield urethane around the outside of the hole you cut in the floor and then place the hump on top and then tac it down.... that way the rain cant get inbetween the floor and the hump when driving as it will rust away real quick... I sealed the hump in the chevelle to make sure and I have seen another chevelle that didnt and it only took 3 years and rust set in.... just my 2 cents Jeff...

Darren.

That's a great idea. I planned on using weldable primer too.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress last weekend. I got the bucket seat brackets laid out and welded in. Everything seems to be square. Baby steps!

null-37.jpg

null-7-1.jpg

null-10-1.jpg

null-16-1.jpg

null-21-1.jpg

null-19-1.jpg

null-17-1.jpg

Amazing build. Just out of curiosity, were convertible frames beefed up or cross braced for additional stiffness? Once again impressive.

Convertible frames were usually boxed frames for extra stiffness

Amazing build. Just out of curiosity, were convertible frames beefed up or cross braced for additional stiffness? Once again impressive.

Yup, the frames were boxed with an insert along the center section of the frame and had a narrower tranny crossmember as a result. The Elky frame used the same boxed section too.