Belt Moldings

David Mau

This is actually a 3-part question:

1) I believe that additional trim pieces referred to as "Belt Moldings" were offered as an option on all three years of FGMCs, and were included as part of the '72 "Custom" model/option package. Is this correct?

2) Am I correct in thinking that these moldings were the wider (perhaps 1/2" to 3/4" or so) bright trim pieces that were installed on the outside of the cars at the base of the side window glass? My '70 doesn't have these wider moldings and neither do most of the FGMCs that I see, but I HAVE seen FGMCs with them.

3) If these are, in fact, what are referred to as "Belt Moldings" - then I assume they are called that because of where they're located, as I believe what is referred to as the "beltline" of a car is where the window glass meets the body; the top of the doors and fenders. Can anyone verify that this is the beltline? I used to think that the beltline was halfway between the base of the windows and the bottom of the body.

Any help is appreciated. smile.gif

Thanks,

Dave

------------------

I'm Just Enjoyin' That Great S-S-Sensation; Diggin' My First G-G-Generation.

Dave, when I first found this site I had read some info on the Custom package that someone had posted, I can't find the link back but I did print it out at the time. It refers to the mouldings in question three times as belt mouldings and to my understanding they were on the 72 Customs only. And yes they are wider than the standard ones. If I can figure out where I got this info from I'll let you know.

Don

I have heard from other sources that the wider belt molding was an option on the 70 & 71. This 70 has this molding but I'm not sure if they took it off of a 72.

CruiseIn0205.JPG

------------------

Aaron

1970 Misty Turquoise Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Web Site

Monte150a.jpglogo_iamca.gif

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 04-04-2003).]

Thanks for the replies, guys.

MARCHIEB: Like Aaron said,"That is the stuff...Lookin' good." Thanks for the great picture of it, too! I measured the standard trim at the base of the side glass on my car last night and it was less than 1/8" wide.

DON: I looked for info about it before I posted the questions, too, but I couldn't find any, either. Thanks for your help.

AARON & LEO: I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in believing that it was available as an option on other FGMCs - and not just as an exclusive item that was included as part of the '72 Custom model/option package.

It appears that those moldings are the trim pieces that were referred to as "Belt Moldings" by Chevrolet. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding my third question at all?

Thanks again, smile.gif

Dave

------------------

I would agree with you Dave that they are referred to as belt mouldings by no means would i consider this to be a rare option and may have been used as standard equipment at some assembly plants not sure but i have seen this moulding on lots of cars 71-72 even some 70 models but it may have been added by the owner

Leo

Hey, thanks again, Leo. smile.gif

Dave

------------------