Grill Restoration.

Well I went and did it on a whim last night. I pulled my old grill off and grabbed my better condition grill out and taped it off and painted the little squares black. Now my question is, is this correct for a restoration on a grill. It's my 70 monet grill. I know it's alittle late to be asking but I'd just like to know just for my info.

Jon.

------------------

Go Dale Jr. #8!!!!

1970 Monte Carlo

Jaguar Racing Green

Buckets with Factory Tach

408 s/b, KB Hyperuetectic flattops, Eagle SIR rods, Dart 200cc runner Iron Eagles( 2.05/1.60 valves)Comp Cams 294 Ext. Ener. Hyd. Cam, Comp magnum Rollertip rockers, Powerplus "Bowtie" Intake, Holley 750 HP series Carb, and lots of aluminum goodies!

350 Turbo Trans. 2800-3000 stall converter.

Eaton Posi Ten Bolt 3.73 gear/ Moser axles.

OLD 1/4 TIME: 13Sec.@103MPH. 1/4 Mile

New 1/4 mile time: 12.8 sec in the 1/4 mile.

As far as I know, it is only painted in the small groove that is near the top and down the sides. I wish I had a pic for you.

------------------

Aaron

1970 Misty Turquoise Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Web Site

Monte131a.jpglogo_iamca.gif

If your wife ever says "Come and move this transmission so I can take a bath," You might be a Gearhead.

The squares should be silver but the wide groove around the squares should be black.

------------------

If you get out of your car without needing to change your pants, you weren't driving fast enough.

70 SS454 clone - Cortez Silver with functional cowl induction

70 SS454 Shadow Gray

Well then I screwed up. It still looks good, though they are not silver. I guess I'll just mask it back of again and get me some silver paint. I used that new "Fusion" paint by Krylon. It stuck!!!! Yeh to metal could'nt beleive it myself.

Jon.

------------------

Go Dale Jr. #8!!!!

1970 Monte Carlo

Jaguar Racing Green

408 s/b, KB Hyperuetectic flattops, Eagle SIR rods, Dart 200cc runner Iron Eagles( 2.05/1.60 valves)Comp Cams 294 Ext. Ener. Hyd. Cam, Comp magnum Rollertip rockers, Powerplus "Bowtie" Intake, Holley 750 HP series Carb, and lots of aluminum goodies!

I did my 72 grill a while back. I taped it off like you did, and used Argent silver with a thick clear coat. I also lightly scuffed the surface that was to be painted. The taping took a day and an age, but it turned out GREAT!

I kinda like the blaked out look. I did'nt cut all the squares out, I had a role of that expensive green body and fender masking tape and masked the front of the grill that would stay chrome and rubbed the tape down good so I would'nt get to much over spray on the chrome. Then I turned it over and painted the backside of the grill from 4 different dirctions to make sure I got good coverage. I also held the can about a foot and a half away to help with the overspray. I had a few spot I had to touch up but it came out pretty good.

Jon.

------------------

Go Dale Jr. #8!!!!

1970 Monte Carlo

Jaguar Racing Green

408 s/b, KB Hyperuetectic flattops, Eagle SIR rods, Dart 200cc runner Iron Eagles( 2.05/1.60 valves)Comp Cams 294 Ext. Ener. Hyd. Cam, Comp magnum Rollertip rockers, Powerplus "Bowtie" Intake, Holley 950 HP series Carb,( yes a 950 HP carb) and lots of aluminum goodies!