catalytic converters

i know these didnt originally come on montes but one of my friends got a ticket for not having these on his truck. am i going to get in trouble for not installing some on the monte when it comes time to pick an exhaust?

I agree with the above posts. Those that were produced prior to when catalytic converters were part of an exhaust system (1975) are not required to have them. Newer cars are required to emit considerably less emissions than older cars, and here in Washington once a car is 30 years old, it no longer has to get emission tested.

Dave

------------------

I'm Just Enjoyin' That Great S-S-Sensation; Diggin' My First G-G-Generation.

I doubt that you'd have a hassle for not having cat converters on your Monte, given the age of our favorite automobiles, and the fact that no Monte of our vintage came stock with the things.

The only wrinkle I could see being applicable would be the installation of a newer engine which DID come with cat converters, but I have to wonder how much this is checked outside of the RPoC. My ride (a '72) came stock with evaporative control and air injectors, but the clowns at Envirotest said naught about the absence of the air injection to the exhaust system biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

If you WANT to put them on, you would be well served to checkout the tech specs on the things to ensure proper operation. From what I recall, the catylytic process reqires additional O2 to be driven to completion, hence air injection to the exhaust system. W/O the O2, the Pt will tend to foul and eventualy the matrix will plug and you'll have the replace the converters, incuring a heafty price to do so, since Pt ain't cheap.