Removing original exhaust manifolds?

Murphy

Getting ready to remove the original exhaust manifolds for a header install..........The manifolds haven't been off in 20+ yrs and I'm afraid of snapping the bolts off. Haven't put a wrench on it yet so maybe I'm premature in this posting. Any suggestions in preventing me from getting really pissed off?!

Spray them down ahead of time of course, and it might help to hit the head of the bolt with a ball peen hammer if you have room, just take your time. if that doesn't work have a beer or two and wait for more replies!

Spray them down ahead of time of course, and it might help to hit the head of the bolt with a ball peen hammer if you have room, just take your time. if that doesn't work have a beer or two and wait for more replies!

I like the hammer & beer method.....trying to think of other situations where that might come in useful!!

We used to just cut the heads off with a torch and then grab the bolt with vice grips and they just come right out. Thats after tring with a wrench first to see if they come out. If they dont come out fairly easily dont force then because if they break off flush in the head you will have more problems. spray it down a few times with pb blaster or kroil, let it sit for a while after spraying you may want to spray several times. I do like the beer idea too beer

I would have to agree 20+ years and either they come out easy or they don't at all and you will need plan B. And if you break it off in there..well that is more of a problem. Just watched Welding Tips N Tricks guy Jody welding on top of an exhaust stud (on the exhaust manifold not the head) for get a bung so they could get a set of vice grips on to loosen and remove them. He got luck with the heating cycles and got it out not too bad. Some times they just won't budge.

I think the cut the heads off and then some well placed heat and pliers idea is the best..IMO.

Good Luck

Scott

I've never had much trouble with the bolts in the heads. It's the nuts on the exhaust pipe studs that can be tough to get loose without breaking the studs, but if you're not reusing the manifolds, there's no need to spend alot of time trying to save the studs. If someone had enough forethought to install the exhaust pipes years ago with brass nuts on the studs, you'll have little trouble with them.

Good luck!

Dan

If possible, keep the iron manifolds in the event you want to change back some day, or for the next owner if you sell.

Bruce

Kroil and a 12 pt socket should do the deed. After the soaking, use ever so gently increasing pressure with the 12 pt socket. Kroil is about the best stuff I have used. Good luck.

How is Kroil or PB Blaster going to get to the threads? Aren't the manifold bolts threaded into the heads which are covered/protected by the manifold? will it soak in thru that seem??

As stated above, the bolts that hold the manifold to the engine aren't too bad...it's the nuts down below that hold on the exhaust pipe that tend to give trouble. You will probably want to use a 6-point deep socket and some tecnique when loosening them. Oil them down first with PB blaster or some other penetrating oil. When you go to loosen them, they will likeley crack loose and then jam up and not want to go any further...at that point, try tightening it back up a bit and then unscrewing it again. It's this back & forth motion as you go that will clear the threads and eventually it should come apart. A constant forcefull loosening often results in something breaking.

I wouldn't count on anything coming loose.Give it your best effort,no matter how long it takes.I would give each bolt a good wack with a hammer.Next I would cut the head of each bolt and remove the manifold.Use penetrating oil on the thread/head area and let it soak overnight.Heat the stud red hot and also the area around the stud at the head.Take a water soaked rag and cool the stud.This causes the stud to retract and brakes the bond with the rust.Use 2 vice grips on the stud and try a back and forth motion to get it started.

Good luck.

Well, Sunday I got 15 of 16 out. The old wack it first with a hammer, then try to tighten (just a fuzz) then attempt to loosen did the trick. The last one is closest to the firewall/drivers side..........I'm babying this one as I really don't want her to snap!

Don't know what I was thinking when I said 15 of 16???There's only 12! Anyway, got the entire exhaust system off, man those manifolds are heavy!! Using new ARP chromoly header bolts, why aren't washers used/included or even locking washers? Is it due to the heat issue?