VIN info

Can somebody help me out with this? I'm trying to get more info on the Monte, I have no paperwork or build sheet. I know there's a web site for Chevy VIN's

The VIN is #1H57H2L550940

Thanks.

------------------

72 Monte Carlo

72 Cheyenne C20

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/gordon/229/code.txt

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO 5- Speed "FULMNTE"

86 Monte LS "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

01 Camaro V6

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

Sig.JPG

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

montesmile.jpg

dion, finding numbers is cool! Look for your engine VIN on a small honed deck area on the front right block, under your alternator and sorta behind your water pump. It will be shorter, but should end in 550940. Also check your cowl tag, top left of cowl in front of steering wheel. Again, you should see some numbers matching up. The cowl tag can also tell you something about your options, esp. paint color. If you can't decode these numbers, post them here and someone will. This is a great site!

hey e-mail "awweise@hotmail.com" me with your numbers and i will decode them for you. just put monte in the subject line also look for you rear axle id numbers on the passenger side front of the axle tube.

alex

The problem is and correct me if I'm wrong dion but you are looking for original option code info not vin decode which will tell you where it was built. The problem is that can't be determined form the Vin # and GM US cannot provide this info either.

MarchieB

I did get a little info from the VIN but not really what I was looking for, the Build Sheet. I found what was left of one on the Gas Tank. No big deal, I do know the car was a 350 auto with a bench, I think a TH400 and a 10 bolt rear, deluxe seat belts. That's really all I needed. Thanks though!

------------------

72 Monte Carlo

72 Cheyenne C20

Hey Dion,

The 350 engine only came with the th-350 not the th-400 especially if it has a ten bolt rear end. here is the decode stuff i have for 1972 montes

DECODING 101

“1972 MONTE CARLO COWL TAGS”

Cowl tags! We all have them on our first generation Monte Carlo’s. But we all have some problems decoding the darn things so here is a helpful guide to decode them. The parts in bold are the only ones that have information on restoration of you car. I am going to cover the 1972 Monte Carlo. The cowl tag looks like the following:

BODY BY FISHER

ST 72 - 13857 L 14074 BDY

TR 706 A52 63A PNT

12 C 513 608 20059

Here is how we break the cowl tag down.

ST- Style

72- Year of car

1- Chevrolet Motor Division

38- Monte Carlo

57- 2 Door hardtop sports coupe

L- Assembly plant identifier “Los Angeles/Van Nuys plant”

14074- Number assigned at Fisher Body “no pertinent restoration information in these numbers”

BDY- Body

TR- Trim

706- Black cloth seats

A52- Front bench seats

63- Mohave Gold

A- Antique white vinyl top

PNT- Paint

12- December

C- Third week

513 606 20059- Assigned at fisher body “no pertinent restoration information in these numbers”

The first row of the 1972 cowl tag is not that hard to figure out because most of it should look the same except the assembly plant identifier. The assembly plant identifier will be one of the following:

B- Baltimore, Maryland – GMAD

L- Los Angeles/Van Nuys California - GMAD

K- Leeds- GMAD

1- Oshawa “Canadian plant”

The second row and first set of numbers “706” will have the trim “interior” color and description of the type of seat covering “cloth or vinyl.” Your code should be one of the following number sets:

Code # Material type Color Code #

706 - Cloth seats Black 708 - Vinyl seats Black

715 - Cloth seats Green

717 - Vinyl seats Green

725 - Cloth seats Blue

731 - Cloth seats Covert

734 - Vinyl seats Covert

735 - Vinyl seats Saddle

740 - Cloth seats Pewter

The single letter and two digit number following the trim number is the seat “RPO” regular production option code. There were only two codes for this. They are the following:

A51- “Strato” bucket front seats, special contour A52- Bench front seats

Now comes the fun part. Is it the original paint color and did it have a vinyl top? Well the numbers do not lie so here we go. There were only fifteen different colors available for the 1972 Monte Carlo and they are the following:

Color Code #

Ascot Blue 24

Mulsanne Blue 26

Midnight Bronze 68

Golden Brown 57

Mohave Gold 63

Placer Gold 53

Gulf Green 43

Sequoia Green 48

Spring Green 36

Orange Flame 65

Cranberry Red 75

Pewter Silver 14

Covert Tan 50

Antique White 11

Cream Yellow 56

There was also the availability of a two-tone paint job “for those who did not want a vinyl top.” They were only available in five colors of the lower paint scheme. They are as follows:

Lower Color Code # Upper Color Code #

Mulsanne Blue 26 Antique White 11

Golden Brown 57 Antique White 11

Mohave Gold 63 Antique White 11

Gulf Green 43 Antique White 11

Sequoia Green 48 Antique White 11

The letter following the two-digit number identifies the vinyl top color. There were only 5 different colors to choose from. They are the following:

Color Code #

Black B

Covert T

Green G

Tan F

White A

On the third row there is a two-digit number and a letter following it. This identifies the month and week the car was built. Like the tag above “12C.” It means this car was built in December on the third week. Here is a list of how they were done up.

Month’s

01- January 02- February 03- March

04- April 05- May 06- June

07- July 08- August 09- September

10- October 11- November 12- December

Week’s

A- First week B- Second week C- Third week

D- Fourth week

DECODING 102

“1972 Monte Carlo

Vehicle Identification Numbers”

V.I.N. Otherwise known as vehicle identification number the thing that help you know what you are getting and if it is original. Here is an example....

1H57J2L538099

1- Chevrolet “division identifier”

H- Monte Carlo “model of car”

57- Two door hard top coupe

J- “RPO L48” 350 4 BBL 175 HP “engine code identifier”

2- Year of car 1972 “last digit of year”

L- Los Angeles/Van Nuys CA GMAD “location of plant that assembled the car”

538099- Production sequence number

The main concern that everyone has is what engine did it come with? Where was it made at? So I will cover these. Everything else is already decoded above.

Engine code identification

* Available for registration in the state of California

*H- V-8 350 2 BBL 165 Horse Power engine “2/SE standard equipment” BASE ENGINE

*J- V-8 350 4 BBL 175 Horse Power engine “RPO L48 4/SE” OPTIONAL

U- V-8 402 4 BBL 240 Horse Power engine “RPO LS3” OPTIONAL

W- V-8 454 4 BBL 270 Horse Power engine “RPO LS5” OPTIONAL

The location assembled at was in four places. The location code is in the seventh digit place. They are as follows....

B- Baltimore, Maryland GMAD

L- Los Angeles/Van Nuys California GMAD

K- Leeds GMAD

1- Oshawa Canadian plant “this is the number one”

DECODING 103

“1972 ENGINE V.I.N. CODES”

V0615CTL

12K657710

Up top is a engine V.I.N. off of a 1972 engine. Since I don’t have the original engine to my car why not use one of the same year. To the trained eye you can tell this is a engine V.I.N. and went to something right? Is it a base model 350 or a top of the line LS5 454? Well let’s get deciphering this code and find out what we have.

V- Flint Michigan plant

06- June “month of year”

15- Fifteenth “day of month”

CTL- 350, 2 BBL, 165 net HP, 8.5:1 compression ratio 2/SE Base Model Engine

1- Chevrolet

2- 1972 Model year engine

K- Leeds G.M.A.D.

657710- Production Sequence Number “matches the last six of Vehicle Identification Number”

Now I know your thinking how did I come up with that. Well here is how I did it. The first letter in the code V0615CTL is the engine assembly plant “letter V” code. There are several plants that make the engines depending on where your car was made it will have a different code. They should be one of the following:

F- Flint motor plant

K- McKinnon Industries

M- G.M of Mexico

S- Saginaw, Michigan

T- Tonawanda

V- Flint engine plant

The next two numbers “06” stands for the month made. They will be one of the following:

01- January 02- February 03-March

04- April 05- May 06- June

07- July 08- August 09- September

10- October 11- November 12- December

The nest two digits “15” after the month identifier is the day of the month built. They ranged from 01-31. This is obvious so I am not going to cover this in depth. 01- the first day of the month and 31- the last day of the month it’s that easy.

Next it the engine type identifier “CTL”. This is what will tell you if you have a 454 or an inline 4 banger “not like that is hard to tell huh?” Well a V-8 is a V-8 but a 283 is not a 454 by a long shot. Listed below is what is in the restoration package as codes for the model engines for this particular model car.

CDA- Base Engine, 3 Speed, 4 Speed, 2 bbl carb, Turbo-Fire 350, 350 Cubic Inch V-8

CDB- Base Engine, Powerglide, 2 bbl carb, Turbo-Fire 350, 350 Cubic Inch V-8

CKA- Base Engine, 3 Speed, 4 Speed, 2 bbl carb, Turbo-Fire 350, 350 Cubic Inch V-8

CKB- Base Engine, Powerglide, Turbo-Fire 350, 350 Cubic Inch V-8

CMD- Base Engine, Turbohydromatic 350,

CTL- Base Engine, Turbohydromatic 350, 2 bbl carb, Turbo-Fire 350, 350 Cubic Inch V-8

CKD- Optional Engine, 4 speed, 4 bbl carb, Turbo-Fire 350, 350 Cubic Inch V-8 (RPO-L48)

CRD- Optional Engine, Turbohydromatic, Turbo-Fire 350, 350 Cubic Inch V-8 (RPO-L48)

CLB- Optional Engine, 4 speed, 4 bbl carb, Turbo-Jet 400-402, 400-402 Cubic Inch V-8 (RPO-LS3)

CSZ- Optional Engine, Turbohydromatic Transmission, Turbo-Jet 400-402, 400-402 Cubic Inch V-8 (RPO-LS3)

CPD- Optional Engine, Turbohydromatic Transmission, Turbo-Jet 454, 454 Cubic Inch V-8 (RPO-LS5)

ENJOY

Alex

------------------

alex

gotta love a house full of parts soon i will be able to assemble it in my house......

http://www.geocities.com/alexs72fgmc

1985 monte carlo ss

1972 monte carlo

1971 monte carlo "parts car"