Remote Mirror help!!!!

72MC

I have a good core remote mirror that I would like to re-chrome. I am having trouble dissassembling. Has anyone taken one of these apart without destroying? Thanks for the help in advance. - Dave

Another member and I used pieces from several to make 1. We cut the very end off the wires, then very gently opened up where they are crimped in just enough to pull them out. If you pry them open too far you will break them (pot metal). He found wire end clamps from a hobby shop that tighten with a screw. When we reassembled it we pulled the wires back into the outer just far enough to cut the outer (1")(what to call that?) all at an "equal" length without cutting the inner, pushed the wires back in then re-assembled them. (Definately a 2 man job, need a 3rd hand.) I held things together while he slipped the clamps on the cables and tightened them. You must pay attention to what you are doing or mistakes will be made. I think we did a "woohaa" when completed. He had a glass cutter make a new mirror because you have to break the old one

to get it apart to have it rechromed.

I did one by myself several years ago and broke 1 potmetal clamp. I had to epoxy it back together while wraping it with tape while it cured. Not fun. Very difficult doing it alone. Yes it can be done.

Thanks George, I was trying different ways to dissassemble and started getting the feeling that it was really not meant to every be torn apart and put back together. So it is ok to go ahead and break the glass? - Dave

They deffinately were not meant to be taken appart, but we are die-hard car guys and sometimes do the impossible. Any good glass shop can make you a new mirror glass. They will even sand the edges so that no will ever know. mark@katusonek.com has the mirror we were working on. Nice guy, so he would probably answer any more questions. He has probably been reading this post.

Well that didnt take long. I guess that means the real fun begins when it is time to put back together. Once the mirror was removed, I saw what you were describing. I am kind of pumped right now because I see that this can be done and I cant wait to get it completed. - Dave