Photos of Hydroboost install

wallaby

I just finished installing the Summit #CLP-CP3014-STP. It is a full retrofit kit to change over your A-body to a Hydroboost brake system.

I took photos of my journey and took notes as I went. If you're interested in what's involved in the changeover, here is the link:

LINKY

Mark, thats a real nice photo journal there along with the notes! Thanks for that, seems like a worth while upgrade really, I never really knew what was involved in switching over, you will have to let us know your thoughts on the improvement of the braking!

Thanks for taking the time to document it!

Yea, I guess money is an issue. LOL

I paid $725 for the kit. I guess as far as things go when it comes to brake upgrades, it's about that price no matter what step you choose first. I'm just hoping that this will make my brakes seem much better without having to change rotors, calipers, wheels, tires, etc.

Nice upgrade.. can never have too much braking. I'm sure it will be a huge improvement. The step by step install very informative thanks for sharing, it doesn't look difficult at all.

Thanks for producing and sharing a photo journal of your novel project, Mark. I agree, it should be put where it can be easily found and referrenced when the need arises with other members.

This is the first time I have been aware of this technology being applied to a Monte, although there may have been several others that got by me before.

As you mentioned, there are specific and valuable benefits to this approach but it sounds like a somewhat pricey alternative to vacuum boosting if you don't absolutely need it. Also, connecting your power steering and power braking together seems a bit like stapling your cash register slip to your sales receipt - now you can lose them both together! smile

• 2 weeks later...

thats a nice write up and it looks great with all that extra room in there..easier to change those header bolts & gasket now! for some reason Ive always thought the hydroboost system used water some how but i see it actually uses power stering fluid to operate..interesting but I think they should change the name....lol!

• 1 month later...

Looks like a good set up. But Im waiting on the final word of how much it improve the stopping power. Tell me its worth it and Im ready to click the check out button and put it on.

I need to update my photo journal on that project. I followed the instructions to the letter and they expained that the simple Tee-fitting spliced into the return line would work in 99 percent of the cases without issue...and I was in the 1 percent bracket.

I had to take apart the power steering pump and install a dedicated return for the booster. It wasn't hard to do, but I went to a lot of trouble trying to avoid that step. If I had beeen in the mind-frame to do that from the begining, it would have been a painless install.

For me the end result was well worth it. As the years have gone by, traffic in my area has been on a steady increase and cars fill the roads and stop & go traffic is part of the routine. I had trouble feeling confident in my brakes and it was getting harder and harder to keep a large empty space in front of me as a cushion. I really felt that someday I was going to plow into the back of someone if they suddenly stopped.

With the new booster, I feel much more confident. The brakes engage quickly and bring the car down nicely. The pedal feel is different, but easy to modulate once you get used to not pushing with the weight of your leg. The brakes work fine with your heel on the floor and just pushing with your toes.

For me, this has completely changed the personality of the car. I don't fear the ability of my brakes any more. I don't know if my old system had an issue that could have been resolved with original parts, but I have been dealing with what felt like sub-standard brakes for as long as I've had the car. I think I have replaced every component in the brake system at least once (one piece at a time) and nothing ever made a difference to erase that "poor braking" feel until I installed the Hydroboost. I don't know if my stopping distances have decreased, But the feel is so much better, i have to imagine they have. The most noticeable difference is at the onset of braking application...it used to have something of a lag where you would step on the brake and then the car would begin to slow down, where now I step on the brake and it's like the car is already stopping.

There is no downside to this story. I would recommend the hydroboost to a friend. It has made my car feel whole again.

Hi Mark,

Good job and thanks for providing info on what I consider to be a fairly uncommon modification. I could not see the notes you mentioned so here are a few questions:

1. Looks like this doesn't not change the braking system at all, just the boost. Do I have that right or do you for example change the brake fluid type to silicone or any other elements of the system?

2. To install, do you need to remove all the stuff you seemed to have removed i.e. carb, rad, fuel pump, pulleys, distributor, headers, etc...

3. Where does the dedicated return line connect to on the ps pump?

4. Would you say the new feel of the pedal is like that of a modern car?

Thanks for your time

Only the booster gets changed. You can retain your existing master cylinder. No special brake fluid required. You do need to remove the high-pressure power steering hose and replace it with the hose provided in the kit.

I was in the process of an engine swap, so that's why all the stuff is disassembled. If you use the Tee fitting return as instructed in the kit, you don't even have to remove the power steering pump. I set mine up with a dedicated return so the pump had to come off and taken apart to put in a 2nd return line.

I used a bulkhead fitting into the side of my pump for the return, but it ended up being too high on the pump housing and returning fluid would aerate. I would recommend having a 2nd tube welded/brazed low in the back of the pump in the area of the original return.

and yes, i would say the brake pedal feel is more like a modern car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

man i looks like you and i are both in the 1% where the t fitting didnt work...i didnt have the skill to jus add another retuen port to my resovior so i went and bought another one with two returns in the back of it..but boy did that cause other headaches....because with the new resovior..its too big for the stock bracket so I had to modify the bracket to fit around it....smh...and then the 2nd inlet sits right on the engine block so again I had to make a top bracket to move it more towards the drivers side so i can adjust it when i get the belt on..oh did I mention ill have to get a longer belt..oh well at least i know that t fitting wont give me any issues when bleeding the system or any back pressure issues while driving....looking forward to these new brakes that make you stop on a dime and give two nickles back......hahahah