Original Style Batteries

Kevin Wiles

Aren't these still available as reproductions? Has anyone ever bought one? How reliable are they? My 70 Monte is all original appearance except battery, floormats, trunkmat, exhaust, and wheel/tire. I am considering making it COMPLETELY all original exept wheel tire and that is corvette rally. I am not sure what wheel my monte came with from factory, but when I got it in 1985 from my uncle, it had 7" rallys. I am considering getting some original style full wheel covers (not the deluxe painted kind) and some white wall tires, but they will not go on the car, but instead sit in the corner of my garage in case i want them someday.

I looked in our county tax maps to see who owned the property. I found out, and found his name in the phone book. He told me he would call me back to set up a time to meet there and sell me the old stuff. I have never heard from him since. I should probably call him back. I don't remember seeing any Monte Carlo hubcaps, but there were many boxes there that I could see through the old abandoned buildings window. the years of NOS wheel covers i saw ranges from about 66-73

Yeah, Kevin they are still available. I am not sure where you would get them. Have you looked in OPG?

I saw an all stock Monte this weekend that was running the stock style battery. I think he told me he paid $100 for it, but I didn't ask him where he found it.

I directed him to the website, so maybe he will join.

_________

Stella

Kevin,

Did you bid on the two plain Jane hubcaps on ebay. Last time I looked nobody had bid on them and there was less than a day left on the auction. You could have had them for a song.

Rob Peters

Rob, I know they were cheap and looked like they were in excellent condition. But i figured "what would be the chances of me finding 2 more out of a set in that good of condition, so i passed on it, and am still hunting. I'm not going to spend but about 30 bucks when i do find them. Lets face it, people threw these hubcaps away, and are not very desirable, and thats why i think they're hard to find. smile

Kevin,

My firs NEW car when I was 20 was a 70 Monte Carlo. It had the plain Jane hub caps which I feel gave it a much more elegant look than the color keyed hub caps. To this day, I like them better than the color keyed. The Monte I purchased in May has ralley wheels but the original color keyed hub caps are in the trunk. Good luck finding the Plain Janes

Rob Peters

Kevin, As this can work for all of you who want to know particular options that came on your Montes. A good sorce is right under your back seats. Commonly known as build sheets. This would tell you just about anything you want to know about that particular car. They can be located under side of the bench seat or on the back side of the back seat.Most the time it's going to be under the back seat on the underneath side around the spring area. Now these could be missing on cars that have been restord or interior has been worked on. I have mine from my 72 Monte. It told me every correct option that came on my car fron a radiator hose to the type of wheels it came with. Now some of these options are in code, but below the code part its all spelled out. Hope this helps.....Jon.

• 2 years later...