springs or shocks

jad

Question. I am trying to get my 70 to have that high sit even/level look with the front. Not raised in the rear looking jacked up just to sit even with the front. it is about a 3 to 4 inch difference Shocks are good in the rear. Do I go with springs or with a different shock. This is my first ride so I am still learning. But also dont want it to be a rough ride as well any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks group

What is in the car? Engine wise. Perhaps it had a BB and now has been removed, that would mean it has BB springs in the front which now with a smaller engine has it RAISED up more then it should? Does the back end sag in comparison? Just a thought.

Scott

Actually Scott my monte looks an awful like yours same color but Im minus the landau top. Same rims and all. And by looking at your pic of your car it sits about 2 inches lower in the rear than yours. I have right now a 350 .30 over with a mild cam. i know it is not the original motor. Thanks for the advice. I can send you pics if you like for more input. Im just waiting to become a full member so I can post pics. Takes a long time. Thank you scott

Sounds like your rear springs are just tired and need replacement. With all the right stock springs your car should sit level so if its not, there is probably something wrong. Adding a spacer doesn't make sense to me when springs are fairly inexpensive and having new ones should give you a better ride than spacers with sagging springs. My car (see sig pic) has fairly new stock springs and sits level. Looking forward to see a side pic of yours.

Good luck whatever you chose.

Can I ave someoness email so I can send them pics so I can show them wat I am talkin about . I paid for membership but still no confirmation So I cant post pics. I have a small avatar of the car under my profile but too small to see the issue. Any elp please

I told you, monte's sit low in the back, station wagon or el camino springs should raise it some, the shims are still my choice, they don't effect the ride, air bags in the springs is another way but can really make it ride harsh, I have them on my '71 from when I raced it

I went with all stock replacements, my Monte seems to sit low in back, but it is level across the rocker panel if you look at it. I have an early Xmas present of an Airlift bag system to install, Ill post pics and let you know how it affects the ride.

2621328_122.jpg

15417191_large.jpg

Maybe Im overthinking it. Bc tony my rocker panel are all flus I know wht you mean. Spacers will give me that inch or so I want. I jjust looked at alot oof pics of members monte annd Im looking the same. Tonny I sent you pics of my car do you still have them?

Send me some more if you have them, Ill post them for you.

I just think its a Monte thing, they appear to sit low, but its level if you look at it, I wanted the added height for trips to carlisle and things like that, it was bottoming out on my just on my road heading to a cruise night Post with Johns pics

Sam Thanks But you see what I mean. Not as bad as I was prob explaining it. Again my first ride and want to learn and do it right

I agree with Sam, the back looks normal, front seems to be the issue, at it does seem higher than most. If it was mine I would be looking at droping the front instead of raising the back. The higher you go, the more wobbly the ride. Also, whatever you decide to change, I recommend an alignment after. I brought the rear on mine back down to stock height a few years ago and neglected to have that checked and found fish scaling on the front tires after a while.

Good luck

Josh you could always check each wheel well opening from the ground to the top of wheel well and see how close you are. If the front got new springs they might not be in the right index spot. I have a friend who's Monte was higher on the drivers front by 5/8" over the rest of the car.