Correct exhaust tips fro '71 SS?

Capri's 71 SS

450355956206_0_ALB.jpg

Ok here is the photo showing the tips that are currently on the car.

When the original owner saw the photo he told me,

Quote:
"On the exhaust tips – it had duals, but they were ugly black, downward-facing tubes much smaller than the ones I see now. The ones on her now are MUCH better looking, but if you’re a stickler for “original”…
So, what are the correct exhaust tips for my car and what do they look like?

Thanks!

Capri

Thanks, Nate!

Is there a part number?

When I just went & looked - it looked like I have the correct tips - but I'll have my husband check 'em out

Original or NOS versions of the tips will have the part number "3956756" stamped on them. I believe that's the number anyway. I'm shooting from memory here since my Chevelle is at the house and I'm at work. (Chevelles and Montes share the same exhaust tips along with a many other parts)

Repros are made, but do not have the part number stamp. NOS versions can still be purchased at places like Luttys ( website ) or found on Ebay for around $145 for the pair.

Capri you can get those OEM reproduction tips at many places . I bought a set from NPD , about $60.I dont have there part # handy but at paddockparts.com the #is A6972 .

Capri you can get those OEM reproduction tips at many places . I bought a set from NPD , about $60.I dont have there part # handy but at paddockparts.com the #is A6972 .

Grease brings up a good point. If you don't care about having NOS exhaust tips, you can buy the repro ones which don't have the p/n stamped on them, and save roughly half your money. But, check what you have on the car now -- you might have the correct ones already.

Yes, they appear to be the correct tips to me - at least from what I can see in the photograph.

I received my new chrome tips for Christmas '05, and put them on the car last May to finish off the new exhaust system. They're the original-style repros (like Grease mentioned - about $60 for the pair) and they're great! The helpers at Year One put mine in Santa's bag.

I don't think you can beat the factory chrome tip look to finish off a muscle car's dual exhaust system. Hey, they're even depicted on the FGMCC logo car!

Dave

• MCfan changed the title to Correct exhaust tips fro '71 SS?