Trunk color?

Leghome

What color was used in the 72's inside the trunk? I like the light gray with speckles. I don't know if the assembly plant has anything to do with the color but mine is a Van Nuys car.

Not to hijack, but, what is correct for the underside of the 1/4's? As in, stick your head in the trunk and look up. Should that be spatter or body color? Unfinished?

The 70 Impala the guys that are doing my 72 Monte had splatter on the quarters of the trunk. Sides and the underside of the quarters.

Not to hijack, but, what is correct for the underside of the 1/4's? As in, stick your head in the trunk and look up. Should that be spatter or body color? Unfinished?

Mine is all original and there was nothing but some body color and trunk paint over spray. So my answer is a thin coat of surface rust lol

I agree with Bob. My '72 is all original and has never been restored. It has the faintest hint of overspray of body color at the edges but for the most part it has a very thin coating of surface rust under there.

Same thing in my Monte. It's also a Van Nuys car.

I wonder where I can find a paint that looks like "original" (grey / speckles).

Same thing in my Monte. It's also a Van Nuys car.

I wonder where I can find a paint that looks like "original" (grey / speckles).

Romain, you can order Dupli Color spatter paint in one of three color combinations from Jegs. Here's the link: Dupli Color Spatter Paint

Sounds like you may want to order the Gray/White combo (318-100DM) although Black/Gray and Black/Aqua are also available. I used two cans of Black/Aqua to completely restore the trunk floor of my '70 SS (also built at Van Nuys) and was very pleased with both the matching and the coverage.

Originally Posted By: jim's 70

Mine is all original and there was nothing but some body color and trunk paint over spray. So my answer is a thin coat of surface rust lol

I've got plenty of surface rust, guess i don't have to order the paint..woohoo lol

• 8 months later...

My mat was kind of an Aqua and Black herring bone pattern until I replace it with carpet. Even when I had my new 70 I thought those factory mats looked kinda cheap on a very good and classy looking car.

There is a thread on here Wanda that provided a link to a company that custom cut trunk floor mats (including our Montes). I am sure someone will be able to provide it for you or possible do a search on this site for trunk mat and see if it will filter out what you are questioning. I remember at least one member purchased it and was quite happy with it.

Doug

As far as the color used for trunk, it was aqua/black spackle and the trunk mat was a green/black herringbone color.

You can buy rattle can to do yourself or air gun to spay it on. Many use a clear coat over color.

100_1013.jpg

The trunk mat is a aqua herringbone!

100_1732.jpg

Doug

I think I got it from the parts place. It is the same size as the herringbone pattern mat. I am thinking about getting my local auto upholsterer to make me a custom mat so it covers the whole floor all the way to the back seat bracing.