wide belt moldings

I need new felts for the wide belt moldings, the ones from PUI don't have good reviews...

anybody know of other manufacturers of these???

thanks grin

I have tried two sets from PUI so far, part #'s F207-1 & F207-2 both say they are for the wide belt moldings. The F207-1 definetly dont work or fit right the F207-2's are "correct" but when PUI manufactured them half the metal tabs are bent the wrong way. These will work, but alot of messing around needs to be done to get them to fit "good" not great. frown

we have used and sold the pui for several years with no complaints or issues, should try a supplier that supports the club like KONIKS KLASSIKS , thats ok dont even hurt my feelings anymore J/K

Leo

So what PUI part # would work/be correct for these Leo? I used F207-2, they worked with a little messin around but I think PUI could do a better job with the fit & finish on these, but maybe Im not using the right ones confused. Took me longer than window felts should to install, IMO.

just want ones that work/fit....that's all I ask, more happy to buy them from you Leo as soon as I do my research for the best product with the least issues

So after fighting with the PUI F207-2 window felts to get tne to fit on the belt molding, I got them installed on doors & quarters just to find that the felt or "wiper" part is way too thick. The original felts are quite thin maybe an 1/8 ", these PUI felts are very thick @ 3/8" of "wiper" depth. This is causing a big problem with proper window adjustment and is pushing my glass sooo far inward its hitting the vertical window guide bar that the glass goes up & down on, very bad! Will certainly damage your glass and in my case would not like my new glass ruined. I called PUI to verify that these are in fact the correct felts for this application & somebody didn't just sell me something that would possibly work. PUI stated the F207-2's are designed specifically for the Monte belt reveal moldings. I discussed all there design flaws & quality issues with a representative & he reponded with "we make 50000 different kinds of window felts, we can't possibly make them all perfect". His suggetion to me was to take a razor blade & cut the felt to fit. In my opinion, when I spent good money for a replacement "REPRODUCTION" part it should fit. I shouldn't have to modify or mess around for hours to "make them work". In that case PUI may as well sell one part # a universal fit, market it to fit every car in the world & let all their customers struggle with them. Any how the PUI rep suggested I try a superior brand than theirs that "may" work better, like I should spend more money on window felts. He suggested a Top Cat Whisker brand part # 970409, made by Restoration Specialties. Spoke with a rep there & he assured me their product is far superior to PUI. I did not order any at this time as I'm still checking my options & I'm a little gun shy to just whip my wallet out to buy MORE window felts. I also spoke with Lutty's, they sell PUI & Repops brand felts for these. Lutty's recommended using the Repops brand part # 07603 as Scott stated he used & worked fine for him. So I'm undecided in which direction I'm going at this point. Should buying & installing window felts really be this bjg of a hassle? mad

i cant believe a rep would tell you to cut them ,or to buy the superior brand.

sounds like they have to much business.lol.

i would send them back!

I was at their shop and should have asked to see the difference. But just went on their suggestion. Now I'm glad I did.

I would tell them they can have their inferior parts back.

Well, PUI apparently bought out Top Cat Whiskers or distributes their product or something so that's why the rep was pushing that product too. Sounds like I'm best off going with the Repops.

The PUI rep also stated that they are not about to spend a gazillion dollars tooling up equipment to make EXACT fitting window felts for the 5% of first gen Montes that have the belt reveal moldings that may still be on the road.

If they are going to make & ditribute stuff that doesn't fit exact there should be some disclaimer somwhere in the parts description that states "modifications may be required to achieve an unacceptable fit & finish" or "these might fit good enough to get you by" or "less than restoration quality" etc etc etc....

Or from Home Depot:

"Fits all doors 3' wide x 7' tall. Easily attaches with supplied fasteners. Psuedo-vinyl look adds years to your wallet. Handsome gray color. Pattented semi-seal keeps even large bugs out, while gentle on glass. Also fits '70-'72 Monte Carlo w/wide belt moldings with ample modification."

88758c6b-878c-4a52-849d-8b218b943197_300

The PUI rep also stated that they are not about to spend a gazillion dollars tooling up equipment to make EXACT fitting window felts for the 5% of first gen Montes that have the belt reveal moldings that may still be on the road.

If they are going to make & ditribute stuff that doesn't fit exact there should be some disclaimer somwhere in the parts description that states "modifications may be required to achieve an unacceptable fit & finish" or "these might fit good enough to get you by" or "less than restoration quality" etc etc etc....

Cory,

This is an issue us First Gen Monte lovers just have to deal with. To tell you the truth, I fully understand their position. They are in business to make money and tooling up to make a part for such a limited number of cars is just not cost effective. For this exact reason, mobody is making fenders or doors for our beloved cars. We are conditioned to these woes and sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and fabricate things for our cars fom what is available. Keep in mind, sometiems NOS parts even need to be "adjusted" to fit.

I'm not defending any manufacturer of these parts, just recognizing the facts.

Rob

Ya, I understand their business philosphy too, & I get the whole tooling costs too much to make. But I'm a pretty firm believer in if your gonna do something do it right. If they spent enough to make a half [censored] part, how much more would it cost to make a good quality part? Apparently their all about making the almighty dollar & don't give a S#/+ about the end user. I'm probably more bitter about these kinds of things than most people because I'm in the body business & have to deal with aftermarket parts everyday (when perfectly good OEM parts are available, but that's a different story, stinkin' insurance companies) & have had to deal with inferior parts for the last 24 years doing body work. Its been even more frustrating building my Monte due to what's not available & what is available seems to be of poor quality that we are all paying top dollar for. I agree, we have all struggled to get our Montes done in an acceptable manner. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad some companies make what they make for these cars for sure. I Can't tell you the counless hours I personally have spent trying to acquire parts for my build (years). What a tough car to build.

Anyhow the PUI felts are getting returned. I received some other felts made by "Repops" part # MT106A (Luttys part # 7603). Great quality parts, VERY close to the originals, fit perfectly, went on nicely & installed easily, perfect. Made in the USA too! I would highly recommend these to everyone. Thanks to everyone that posted here or contacted me about these felts & steering me in the right direction. Apparently Repops still cares about quality & the end user and will spend the money on tooling to get it right.

so actually the poor quality parts is costing them money in the long run, so they will probably discontinue making them before too long

and in my experience...any! PUI products that I have used, have not had good luck with

We have installed many PUI parts in our own cars and customer cars with great results , most if not ALL original GM parts are not very good quality , we have spent as much or more time fitting original GM NOS parts , i spent 25 years working with original GM parts in high level quality control jobs , we have shaved ground trimmed bent twisted and modified all original GM parts during production, i assume you would pay 450.00 for a high quality set of original GM exact reproduction parts , that is exactly what we sold a set of 69 camaro NOS BELT MOLDING set for yep 450.00 our reserve was 150.00 so the camaro guys would , i recently visited PUI and had a full plant tour to say they dont give a is truely insulting and rude at every level and extremely non productive ,i am saddened by this behavior , i would be glad to discuss this further by PHONE and work closely with you to resolve any concerns you may have , i inspected the PUI moldings we have in stock and find them to be very good quality and any concerns are minor at best , they have a very nice facility have worked with me to resolve issue and been very responsive to my concerns , i also realize you can only spend so much to reproduce a part with limited market , a member here made some VERY HIGH QUALITY FENDER AND QUARTER PANEL PATCH PANELS , IT TOOK ME YEARS TO SELL THEM BECAUSE THE PRICE WAS TO HIGH ,but the quality superior , after working with Trim Parts to reproduce the rear back up lenses i am done , little to no thanks and minimal sales leads to failure

Leo