Rare SS Build Sheet No F-41

busmechanic

Hey All I just picked up the build sheet for this 1970 Monte Carlo I bought tonight. I am Still trying to figure out if build sheet matches car. The production number is missing in top right hand corner.

Here is something I see on the build sheet that I thought all SS's have and that is the boxed lower control arms Code F-41. It is not on here. Instead it has a Code GW4 which is the 256 Ratio Axle. Everything else on build sheet points to a SS the Z20 P90 T60 LS5. May need to change some information on the tech section "Is it a real SS"?

On the car I did not see the boxed arms or the 1" drag link which is what a RPO F-41 is, Build sheet does says 256 ratio.

What I am trying to say is in the tech section for is it a real ss, it mentions they had a F-41 suspension.

I am ready this build sheet from a true ss car and there is no F-41 on it.

i was looking at my build sheet for the 71 SS, and unless things were done different in 71, i dont have the F-41 option either. The car does have the boxed lower control arms and the big sway bars too. The Z20 SS option is on the build sheet. as far as the rear axle, mine has GY2 3.31 ratio.

i also noticed after reading the tech. info on how to tell if its a real SS on this website, i dont have the N10 dual exhaust option on my sheet either. is that one on your build sheet?

The tech section is correct. The cars came with F41 suspension, but your build sheet isn't going to show RPO code F41. None of the Monte SS build sheets I have show that code regardless of assembly plant or year. I have plenty of Chevelle build sheets that show it, though. For SS Montes, it was probably rolled into the Z20 RPO (SS) option, i.e. if you got Z20, you got F41.

F41 consisted of:

HD shocks, rear stabliler bar, special front stablizer bar (replaces standard), special front and rear springs and boxed rear lower control arms.

If nothing else, measure the size of your stabilizer bar (1-1/8"). Not sure why you don't see the boxed rear control arms. That's odd.

By the way, my '70 SS came with a 2.56 one-legger (non-posi).

i also noticed after reading the tech. info on how to tell if its a real SS on this website, i dont have the N10 dual exhaust option on my sheet either. is that one on your build sheet?

Same goes with RPO option N10 as F41 above -- it's part of what you got with an SS Monte, but not listed as an option on the build sheet. I can't say this is 100% conclusive -- I can only say what I've seen on build sheets until proven otherwise. Again, it does appear on Chevelle SS build sheets, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by John Gazzani:

Same goes with RPO option N10 as F41 above -- it's part of what you got with an SS Monte, but not listed as an option on the build sheet. I can't say this is 100% conclusive -- I can only say what I've seen on build sheets until proven otherwise. Again, it does appear on Chevelle SS build sheets, though.
Nate,

Look at the image of the build sheet I sent you for my 71 SS. In the list of options it lists:

*S1D Dual Exhaust

So it is not automatically rolled into the Z20 Monte Carlo SS option??

Information that is included and or omitted seems to vary not only from plant to plant but from individual build sheet to individual build sheet.

If there is any way I can assist in the formation of the build sheet data base let me know.

Nate,

Look at the image of the build sheet I sent you for my 71 SS. In the list of options it lists:

*S1D Dual Exhaust

So it is not automatically rolled into the Z20 Monte Carlo SS option??

Information that is included and or omitted seems to vary not only from plant to plant but from individual build sheet to individual build sheet.

If there is any way I can assist in the formation of the build sheet data base let me know.

I should've clarified -- the RPO option N10 does not appear on build sheets that I've seen. The RPO code you're referring to, Taz, says "*STD" for "standard equipment", not "S1D" (I know, it's hard to read!). So, it doesn't actually show an RPO code there. Same as in the first column where it shows your recessed windshield wipers as "*STD" instead of RPO code C24. I've seen "*STD" appear on some build sheets and not on others and it looks to be entirely random as to when they used it -- I can't say it's plant specific. All of the RPO codes are in alpha-numeric order, so it does appear where RPO "N10" would've appeared ... it just doesn't say "N10".

Hope that clarifies ... or maybe I just confused everyone more. laugh

~ Nate

My build sheet for a 1970 SS reads N10 - dual exhaust, and G67 - Auto level Co. .. along with the expected LS5 - 454 and Z20 - SS. Built in Van Nuys Calf. Plant .. All Auto level pieces are there, boxed arms, 1 1/8 front sway bar. The rear end is a GW4 - 256 (non -posi).

My build sheet for a 1970 SS reads N10 - dual exhaust, and G67 - Auto level Co. .. along with the expected LS5 - 454 and Z20 - SS. Built in Van Nuys Calf. Plant .. All Auto level pieces are there, boxed arms, 1 1/8 front sway bar. The rear end is a GW4 - 256 (non -posi).

Excellent -- good to know that perhaps Van Nuys at least put the N10 RPO code on their build sheets. If you feel like contributing a digital copy of your build sheet for the database, please let me know. Thanks for posting!

Hey Nate,

I would LOVE to see a picture of your chevelle,or a few of them lolnutz

ok, ok, I like chevelle's too!!!

Sam

Sam, go HERE for some pics of my Chevelle. I'd post a few here, but I don't want to hijack this thread. laugh As noted on my photo website, it is a triple white car, but currently it has the wrong colored (black) seat covers and door skins. Next year I hope to re-do the interior back to white.

"On the car I did not see the boxed arms or the 1" drag link which is what a RPO F-41 is"

Thats the point I wanted to make....Not that it's not on the build sheet......but not on the car.....

Welcome RaleighSS- your not to far from my neck of the woods.

If the car doesn't have the boxed control arms then I'd say there's only a few possible options:

1. The boxed control arms have been changed out (unlikely),

2. The frame was swapped out at some point with a non-SS Monte (possible),

2. This is one extremely rare 1 of 1 SS, built without F41 suspension (unlikely),

or

3. The car might not be an SS. Bus already stated that he's yet to match the build sheet to the car (possible).

Any updates, Bus?

I once looked at an " all original" SS Monte. Body was SS but the frame was from a non SS small block car. No boxed trailing arms etc.

So # 2 is possible.

Vaughn

i would have to say trailing arms swapped out since there 2 bolts each versus 14 plus bolts to lift the body off the frame. not to mention the e-brake cables, brake lines, fuel lines, trans lines and what not. to much work to swap the frame instead of the trailing arms. its possible the prior owner or the one before that wanted to keep the f-41 rear parts for another one of his cars.

No updates as yet. I will get the car here next week and will then go over it? My hunch is the build sheet will not match the car.

My orginal post was to mention NO F-41 on a SS build sheet. Which I think has been clarified.

Just my input on this . I have had several SS cars over the years . POSI was an option and NOT standard . the cars that got a posi had the boxed arms and sway bar and the ones that didn't have a posi had no need for the boxed arms and sway bar . I have copys of several cars If you need them for your data base . keep up the good work . thanks Steve

Just my input on this . I have had several SS cars over the years . POSI was an option and NOT standard . the cars that got a posi had the boxed arms and sway bar and the ones that didn't have a posi had no need for the boxed arms and sway bar . I have copys of several cars If you need them for your data base . keep up the good work . thanks Steve

Steve, if you can e-mail me digital photos of what you have, it would be greatly appreciated. Address is nzelk@yahoo.com.