Coil Spring Replacement

Hey Guys

Shawn here,

I have not posted much since I got my car a year ago,but here goes.

I have a 71 SS,with no a/c,as far as I can tell it has original coil springs still on it.

I think I will go with the Moog CC501 on the rear(after reading all the posts here regarding replacements)

The front is the problem,do you think I would get too much increased ride height if I went with the front a/c springs vs the non a/c springs that it should take?

Is there any advantage to a/c vs non a/c springs in a non a/c car that any one can think of.?

Thanks-Shawn

Thanks Sam

I actually found the original tag on the front springs,it is the GQ or 3952813.

I guess my question would be,If I use the Moog spring rated for a/c,would there be a noticeable height difference over the non a/c part number

Shawn

Just going from your old original springs to new non-AC springs you will see a difference. It will be even higher with the AC springs. The problem you might encounter is that the front may be higher than the back if you put in front AC springs.

I also have a non-AC 71 SS. I just changed the rear springs from the old original ones to new OEM replacements and it made a good difference in height. About 1 to 1.5 inches. My front sits quite low and will come up about an inch or so if I put in new front OEM replacement springs.

Here's my 71 before new rear springs:

0293.JPG

and after (also new tires):

00510.JPG

It has a bit of a rake now. Before it was low all the way around. You can see the difference in the quarter panel in relation to the top edge of the rim.

When I replaced my ft springs on my 71 350 NON-A/C Monte I went with the A/C springs from GM, thinking it would settle down but 23 years later it's still too high IMO. In the picture taken below, the studio had two of us push down on the ft of my car then the photographer inserted a board someplace on the A-Arms to prevent it from rising. The rear was also addressed (I didn't see why) by adding 10 lbs in the trunk.

Bruce

Wow,

Thanks guys,you are all a wealth of info.

I am just getting used to my car after a year,and the springs are one of my major areas of concern.

I will probably go with cc501 on the rear and the non ac up front.

On another note,I have been to five or six shows this year and notice the Monte does not garner the respect it deserves at most car shows.

It does feel good however to not be in the usual bunch of Camaros and Chevelles,Miustangs etc.

Thanks-Shawn

On another note,I have been to five or six shows this year and notice the Monte does not garner the respect it deserves at most car shows.

It does feel good however to not be in the usual bunch of Camaros and Chevelles,Miustangs etc.

Yep, that's about it. Most shows I go to I have the only Monte there but I like it that way. Real car guys and former owners of a first gen Monte seem to like them but there are lots of people at shows that just look for the typical Chevelle, Camaro, Mustang, etc. I like having something unique.

When we get together for our FGMCC meets though, it is hard not to notice the large group of them at a car show. smile

In the middle of my build I decided to eliminate the a/c and add an aluminum intake and headers. Too bad I had bought the big block a/c springs. Sits way too high now in my opinion. Like Bruce, I'm waiting for the springs to settle down but it doesn't look like much is happening. On the plus side, my headers have lots of ground clearance. Some day I might start cutting the springs to see if I can find the right height.

I'm new here,I have a 1970 Monte,was under her yesterday,taking down the gas tank to start on the trunk pan and noticed the rear springs looked odd,come to find out the left one has the 2 tight coils down and the right one has the 2 tight coils up,Is this factory or a factory or former owner mistake?? And I guess if its wrong will it hurt anything?? Dont know if this is the proper place to post this,if not I apologize . Monty

I'm new here,I have a 1970 Monte,was under her yesterday,taking down the gas tank to start on the trunk pan and noticed the rear springs looked odd,come to find out the left one has the 2 tight coils down and the right one has the 2 tight coils up,Is this factory or a factory or former owner mistake?? And I guess if its wrong will it hurt anything?? Dont know if this is the proper place to post this,if not I apologize . Monty

Those are not the factory springs. Sounds like a previous owner installed cargo coils (have tighter coils at one end of the spring) but installed one incorrectly. The tighter coils should be at the top for both springs. Nothing wrong with cargo coils. I put a set of those in my 70 so it does not sag as much with weight in the trunk.

I have cargo coils in mine as well. I liked them when I was driving it, they kept the rear up a bit. I'm replacing them with 1" drop springs, but I'm going to keep the cargos in case I decide I want it up higher.

I say roll with them a while after installing them correctly. You may find you like them, and they're easy to change once you get together money for new springs.

Thanks! It's 2011 Imperial Blue Metallic - it was available as a color on that year Camaro. I went by the dealership to look at color samples on cars, since I wanted an easy-to-get color plus it's hard to judge what it will look like from just a paint chip. Found the color, got the paint code, and let my paint guy know. Originally I was going to do Navy Blue Metallic from a 2000 'Vette, but I liked this color more plus it was more current. It really comes out in the sun, where the pic was taken. At night it looks almost black, in cloudy weather it's just a dark blue, but then in the sun you see the flake and the subtle hints of purple.

Question for the people who have purchased front coils for a 71 no AC. Any part numbers? I've found multiple numbers that don't say if its for AC or no AC. Still have the stock ones and they bounce like crazy and sit really low.

I went with a Hotchkis spring with 1" drop. No regrets, they work so much better than the old originals. I did all four corners. Here is their page:

LINKY

The bouncing is probably bad shocks. I did a simple Monroe shock that every parts store carries and they work fine.

I did replace all shocks a few years ago. Not sure if the brand though.

I looked at the offerings from hotchkis last night and what scares me about the 1" drop is in already scraping my headers on stuff. Considering the springs I have now are I think original will I still end up with increased height with the drop springs?

Compared to my old worn out springs, the 1" drop springs sat higher. Not by a lot, but some. The big difference was in the stiffness of the spring, as it is firmer than the old ones. This won't gain you much ground clearance, but it keeps the front end from dropping so much as you go over the back side of a speed bump for example. Also makes the car handle much better in the curvy sections smile