Side exhaust.

Malyc

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if any of you had done exhaust outlets just before the rear wheels, and if so, what kind of work is required to make it look good.

Im not a fan of them myself, they always seem to be hanging to low and depending what mufflers you use may hang way to low because of where you have to put them. Your better off putting the mufflers where they belong and dumping them behind the rear wheels or straight out the back. Just a thought from an old muffler shop guy. I spent a good portion of my carrier working and managing a couple different muffler and brake shops.

That's what I was thinking Andreas...sidepipes.

The problem with the "ahead of the tire" exit is there is a lower control arm in the way there and it needs enough room to pivot downward even further. Running a pipe under there without interference makes the pipe exit look wrong.

Hmm... true. Would probably work if I ran it along the side of the car similar to this Stingray, which actually looks pretty good...

IMG_9820.jpg

Those sidepipes on the Corvette are great. A major pain to install, and they burn your leg every time you open the door. I love 'em. I've often wondered if a Corvette set could be modified to fit the Monte, but you'd have to saw off the header primary tubes under the car, and lengthen the exhaust tube on the outside so it reaches to the rear tire...Corvette is like 18 inches different in wheelbase. So it's a $1,000 gamble, and then you have to cut them up and rechrome them. Ouch.

Hooker used to make a "universal" sidepipe kit that looks the same from the outside, but only a single primary tube is hooked up, so they would work ok with shorty headers or stock manifolds. They also came in different lengths...maybe you remember them being popular on vans. The only problem is that I hear they are very restrictive to exhaust flow (either type) and knock nearly 100hp (!) from your dyno numbers, and the universal type has been discontinued.

But they sound and look great.

I think the guy building the Orange Monte with black stripes down the side has side exhaust. Can't remember his screen name but if I find thread I will attach here.

Dan

That is Brad Whiteside. His screen name is raceking46. He has a nice setup on his exhaust.

He does have a pretty good setup, and that's the look I wanted to have. Hopefully I see him around so I can pester him how he did it!

Brad dont get in here to often hes on face book once in a while. I looked at the pictures I took of his and mine last year but not a great pic of exhaust but it does exit in front of rear wheel without any problems as far as I know. If I talk to him i'll tell him to check in more often.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the AAR Cudas used a muffler with the inlet and outlet on the same front side of the muffler. This allowed the outlet pipe to bend back and exit in front of the rear tire. Not sure if a muffler of this design would work on our cars but it might be worth the research.

Mike

I've got duel 2.5 inch exhaust. Each side exits the side of the car just before the rear wheels. I have the 2.5 split into staggered 3" chrome tips. I'll get a pic up.

I've got an album on Facebook on my page "redrock kustoms" the album is called 1971 monte Carlo project. Feel free to add me.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...