Jump to content
Gush's monte

1971 frame/suspension detailing

Recommended Posts

Welcome first of all and second great job on the car so far it didnt look bad to start with. I guess you met up with the snowball we all have at one time or another. Keep up the good work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job! I just did the same thing to mine this summer. My car had rusted in the exact same places yours did. I am now finishing up the new ss brake lines. When it's all said and "done" you'll look back and be glad that you took the time to do a frame off. Keep the pictures comming. It helps some of us with ideas. What did you use to do the frame? Regular paint or some kind of POR15?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great progress! That proverbial snowball is hard to get out of the way of. But you will be so glad to took the time to do it right the first time. Keep the pictures coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice! Funny how the snowball builds, but like Scott said, you'll be glad you did it right! There was a few things I skipped while doing my car, they came back to haunt me very quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the compliments. The paint I used after sandblasting the frame was SEM Rust Shield. Paint sprayed real easy which was a plus as it is the first time in 15 years that I have used a spray gun to paint. So far no scratches or chips just a few scuff marks during while putting it back together. I have decided that there are too many holes in the trunk to patch so I contacted Leo Konik for a full trunk pan. I saw how he has helped others in the club and when I called he was extremely helpful. I received my trunk drop offs from him Friday and they look great. I will take pictures and post as I move along.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an update on my restoration. I have replaced the the under rear seat pan, full trunk pan, trunk drop-offs, patched the inner wheel wells, front cowl sides to get rid of any rust. I then scrapped the undercoating off, epoxy primed and painted from the cowl underneath to the trunk. The body is now back on the frame and started the engine. It is going on two years now and at least one more if not two to finish. Here are some pictures of the progress.

post-1161-0-96979800-1449620600_thumb.jpeg

post-1161-0-05196500-1449620646_thumb.jpeg

post-1161-0-29175500-1449620688_thumb.jpeg

post-1161-0-12398700-1449620756_thumb.jpeg

post-1161-0-29267700-1449620800_thumb.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding! WOW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's been a while but this project turned out to be bigger than I thought it was going to be. I ended up replacing both rear quarters with NOS quarters and the roof skin. Now all the rust is gone. I have mocked up the the body with the trim to make sure everything lines up properly and will be sending it out for final body work and paint soon. Here are some pictures I took. Hopefully I will have it back in the spring to put it back together for the final time.

post-1161-0-48707900-1512953906_thumb.jpg

post-1161-0-33985400-1512953944_thumb.jpg

post-1161-0-90681200-1512954003_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...