Oil recommendations

D0ublezer0x

I was wondering what oil you guys can recommend for use in a mildly built big block 402. I know that it was rebuilt 4,500 miles ago and that it has a stock bottom end with an RV cam. I don't know bearing clearances. I plan on eventually putting in a flat tappet hydraulic cam and doing some work to the heads. It won't be driven in the winter and almost never on the track. I know what additives the older motors need but I'm not sure if I want a 40 weight or a 50 weight.

I use Mobil One Silver or gold label in my 350ci 290 hrs crate motor. When I change the oil about once a year it comes out almost as golden as it went in. 10W-30 is my chosen weight

There are lots of options on the oil used in our cars and you will get different opinions. The higher Zinc content oils are the preferred lubricants.

I personally selected Valvoline VH1 Racing Oil in a 10-30 weight for my 402 CI. It has the Zinc content I was looking for and met the criteria I was comfortable with. Been using it exclusively since my rebuild with just over 4000 miles on the fresh motor. Last time I purchased it, was in the $7.00 per quart range. A little pricey but am comfortable it has to date performed as expected. I have also changed it no more than every 2000 miles driven. I will start extending those miles between oil changes out now that I am comfortable the motor has the 4000 plus miles on it.

Doug

I use Valvoline VR1 10w30, has high zinc dialkyldithiophosphate concentration (zinc/phosphorous) or ZDDP

Here is tons of info on oils, sorry guys I visited another forum frown

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/2484100-list-of-flat-tappet-oils.html

I also use Valvoline VR1 10W30, usually order a case through Amazon. With delivery to my door my last case of 12 Qts was $70 so $5.83/Qt. I did some research before choosing this oil and although I still have my doubts about the criticality of using this vice another type of conventional oil for a relatively mild build, the price is not that unreasonable when compared to the cheap stuff I have been using in my daily driver for years (and it also is a flat tappet engine).

I would try a 10W30 in your choice of brand. I am not sure about the choice of racing oils for extended distance since the detergent package is lower.

The Valvoline VR oils in regular and synthetic can be used in street engines.

I use Valvoline Specialty Racing Oil ("Not Street Legal") in 10w30. It has a low detergent package. I carry 23 lbs of pressure at 1000 rpm and 77 lbs at 7000.

If you want the best,....Amsoil,....period.

http://oil-tech.com/motoroil-comparison.php

I have trusted Amsoil for 15 years and it has been worth every penny. I run the Signature Series 5w-30 in my wife's and my daily drivers and change at 22,000 - 25,000 mile intervals or one year, whichever comes first. And yes, the interval is that high and recommended under normal driving conditions. We put alot of highway miles on our vehicles.

As always, just me 2 cents. - Dave

We use this in all of our vehicles

If you want the best,....Amsoil,....period.

http://oil-tech.com/motoroil-comparison.php

I have trusted Amsoil for 15 years and it has been worth every penny. I run the Signature Series 5w-30 in my wife's and my daily drivers and change at 22,000 - 25,000 mile intervals or one year, whichever comes first. And yes, the interval is that high and recommended under normal driving conditions. We put alot of highway miles on our vehicles.

As always, just me 2 cents. - Dave

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic in all my trucks and my Monte. With the Monte I also use a zinc additive. My trucks have always have over 200,000 miles at trade in(one of them went to 340,000 when I got rid of it)and the oil always looks good when changing it. 5w30 for all of them. A friend recommended Valvoline Max-Life for higher miles so I'm giving it a try in my daughters cars, so far so good. Good oil pressure, not burning any oil and it looks pretty good at drain time.

• 3 weeks later...

amsoil here too, in my duramax and my 454 w/ full roller, 350 w/ roller cam

I break my engines in with Joe Gibbs break-in oil, then I use the valvoline for the first few thousand miles, then change to amsoil