Steering wheel questions

vacavillebob

I picked up a steering wheel at a swap meet today. I know it is a Chevy but can not find out if it is for a 1970 Monte or what it fits, the seller said it was off a Monte but he did not know the year. The number on it is 9754887 11. If it is not Monte will the Monte center piece work with it.

Thank you Bob

Hi everyone; I was going to post pictures but you supplied some good ones. Yes Aaron that is the one I have minus the center horn button. I did find out they will not interchange as the hub is smaller and the horn center is about an inch longer on the 1970.

Darn I thought I had a good one, no cracks and could be repainted and installed. I washed it and used a little SOS pad on it, to get the heavy crud off of it. Some of the black paint came off and it looks like the green that was on the Chevelle I am not sure if Monte had a green that color. But the number says it fits Chevelle, Nova

Thanks everyone, Bob

Our we sure that OER 3939731 is really a stock steering wheel for a 1970 Monte. I searched the web for that number and other than the e-bay add above no where on the internet does it say that it fits a Monte Carlo. All the sites say Chevelle, Nova and Camero but none say Monte Carlo.

That steering wheel that Steve has shown from the Ebay listing for a 1970 with the two outer horn buttons will 100% fit on a 1970 Monte Carlo and is the Stock steering wheel GM Part #3939731 BOTH the 1970 Chevelle and the 1970 Monte Carlo minus the Tin burl wood plate for the Monte not chevelle. I worked at GM for 18 years and owned both a 1970 chenille and Monte and interchanged the wheels. The Sport steering wheel used on the Customs weather it be the 4 spoke,3 spoke or even the standard Custom steering wheel from 1972 will all fit on a Standard 1970 Steering column.The 3 spoke will require a separate mounting hub and horn kit, the only difference would be the emergency Hazzard lights knob is Chrome in 1970 and in 71/72 it was tall black plastic. The striker plate or horn contact plate under the retainer black plate does have to be changed for some wheels as the horn contact install can twist and lock in or simply be pushed down into place or have a reverse install spring loaded striker pin.

Darren.

Thank you Darren: That is great to know. I carry a list of items I am shopping for at swap meets and it is great to have the correct part number for the steering wheel. I am trying to keep my car as stock as possible so do not want to change to a different steering wheel. Thank you so much for your input. it is appreciated. Bob

• 7 years later...
On 2/2/2014 at 7:36 PM, vacavillebob said:

I picked up a steering wheel at a swap meet today. I know it is a Chevy but can not find out if it is for a 1970 Monte or what it fits, the seller said it was off a Monte but he did not know the year. The number on it is 9754887 11. If it is not Monte will the Monte center piece work with it.

Thank you Bob