Dash Lights

NewTimer

So I took the dash out for my car and now my dash panel lights are not working when I put it back in.

whats working:

Gen light and oil light are working

Turn signal is working(left light does not flash but right light does)

Brights does come on and off.

fuel gauge does work, and has power to it

headlight switch turns on headlights and park lights come on

what i tried:

turned headlight switch dimmer both left and right.

headlight switch ground is connected

My question:

is there a ground that comes directly out of circuit board plug? and where should it be connected? I found what appears to be a ground wire and pressed it against a ground point, and it smoked and now the oil light doesn't come on anymore.

AJ there is a ground wire that ties to the headlight switch. Did you change your bulbs to LED's as well? if so you can turn the bulb around and they will come on. As long as you didn't change the bulbs take a look at the ground wire and the plug on the back of the cluster. Here is a picture of my old dash cluster dash003.jpg

I do see the headlight switch and it is grounded and I didnt do the LED bulbs

IMG_20140323_150321_438_zps62ccb1f3.jpg

Which is why I asked if there was ground wire else where. This is the ground wire in question

IMG_20140323_150203_213_zpscf873912.jpg

I understand that lol but the problem is where. As in should it be grounded on the circuit board(where on the board) That wire is the on I held it to a ground and it smoked and oil light doesn't come on when I turn ACC on :facepalm:

So to get some perspective, why had you removed your Instrument Panel!

Replace non operable bulbs, install new circuit board?

Was all lights working normally before you removed it?

Using a light tester, check to see if that stray wire you show in your pic is hot. Based on your result, doesn't act like a ground. You will need to trace it to its source and using wiring diagram, follow it to it's connection point if cant be identified by anyone reading your post.

Check your fuse block to see if any are blown. Also, any damage to circuit board could also impact your problem. You should also check your light switch to make sure power is going through all expected contacts.

Looked through my dash cluster pics but couldn't identify what your asking, sorry.

Doug

I removed it too install my vintage air unit, originally planned to rep'ace gauges with auto meter but wanted to wait. If all else fails I will just install the auto meter stuff, thanks everyone

If you touched that wire terminal to a ground point and it sparked then that wire is live all the time if the key was not turned to On or Acc.

You can find what that wire is for a couple ways.

One is the way Doug suggested, by following it back to the source at the fuse box.

Another way would be to identify it by color and or color tracing (solid color wire or a solid color with a colored tracing on the solid color) and comparing the color/colors of the wire to a 1972 Monte Wiring Diagram.

if you dont have a 72 wiring diagram I am sure someone here could try to look it up for you.

Another way would be to post the wire description and maybe someone with their 72 partially disassembled can look at theirs and assist that way.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update everyone here, I did make the plunge on Dakota Digital Gauges. Install was supper easy and just have to put it in the dash in the morning

The color is Black Alloy and will light up Blue. Here they are with protective film still on them

image_zps59baecc6.jpg

image_zpse834089a.jpg

Lastly, up close shot showing the finish on gauges

image_zps199806c9.jpg

Hey Art, your new gauges are what they call full Tach and Gauges. did your old cluster you pulled out have full tach and Gauges ??? if not that is where your problem now resides….. Both myself and Dennis (mcfan) have put in a lot of time into a Great write up that Dennis can send you a link to. The wires from a NON tach and gauge dash HAVE to be relocated in order for the new tach and gauges to work as well as other wires will need to be added to make the full gauges to work as they are not warning lights anymore. This will take some time to do and needs to be done in order to get this correct if not and you try to just ground out wires that are now live instead you can either have a dash harness fire or melt the whole lot together, there are two members on here that had just that and it took me 8 hours to rewire the whole under hood and dash itself which means the whole full dash has to come out.

dont mean to freak you out but would hate to hear it all melted or worse. let me know If I can help more or if Dennis chimes in maybe he can send you a link to his documents…

Darren.

Darren I do under stand that. The new gauges came with new sensors and it's harness to wire directly to the supplied control box which receives all the new power and directs it where to go. I have already pre wired everything including adding the new wires to the tach since I did have idiots lights. I did read thoroughly through Dakota digital's install manual and understand I will not being using a few wires in the original harness. Ie. fused power from fuel sender because as mentions per instructions all power going to the gauges will be distributed at control box the last thing I will being doing after I bolt it back into the dash will be putting in the grounds I did that last because a few of the lights (ie. turn signal and brake light) need to be grounded separate from control box which has its own ground. Thank you for the concern and warning it is all really appreciated wink

Here it is, in the dash and ready to go. Didn't get a chance to get to the grounds because I start work in a few hours. So tomorrow morning I will add the fusible links to keyed power and constant power. Then grounds last. I have learned my lesson over the years about rushing these projects, so no hurry. Will be defiantly ready by the end of next weekend eekeek

D0A7D37C-8CC6-4B67-B0E8-5337234C34E6_zps

Arthur are you using the stock location for your turn signals, high beam, and brake light? If so you can tie the signal + to the stock turn signal and then the grounds together. When I put my in the first time I used the location in the dash, but did not like the fact that the switch has to be on for the 4 way flasher to flash on the dash. As for the power feed I used the stock power feed wife for the original cluster and even tied the sender wire for the gas tank to the computer.

That's good Patrick look forward to seeing you get started! I actually "painted" the dash face where the wood grain was with plastidip. Didn't want to permanently paint over a good dash, so the plastidip is removable.

That is exactly what I did rob, those twisted wires you see under the dash are the grounds from all the indicators in stock location. The only thing I couldn't find what to do with is the 3 wire LED, I emailed Dakota already about it

Alright fellas here it is! Only thing I need to set up is the Speed and Oil pressure gauge but she is ready and running eek I do admit I was excited so photos are blurry party

Stock steering wheel looks out of place to me now, so that will be the next change to Letty. Thanks for all the help everyone, I am now one happy camper!

DE519EDE-91E5-4475-9BFA-685F65FE4371_zps

241E5719-CA39-4714-8F49-B769A361FDB8_zps

20E3EA34-F4CA-45DC-B3E4-FF9CA71CB624_zps

09D30477-EF10-4055-ADE0-8696C3AD433B_zps