LS/LSX SWAPS YOU HAVE DONE

KWick_70MC

I have been wanting to do this swap for some time now. I have lots of ideas and have gathered lots of information.

LS3 E-Rod / 6 Speed / Pro Touring suspension and more is my plan.

Tell us about the project you have completed or have going, and your success stories.

"Man I wish I would have not or did that" stories are welcome as well.

Feel free to start your own thread.

Thinking of doing this myself a few years down the road. Looks like GM performance is starting to make retro fit drop in kits for steet rods now. I was just checking out a 6.2 liter LSX 376 today 525 hp. Being I work at a GM dealer I get a pretty good deal on stuff. I'm sure it won't be long before someone has perfected simple drop in, plug & play with various HP level applications for any A body car. Nice thread, hope to gain some knowledge here on the subject.

Who here thinks someone should try dropping an LS9 into a Monte? 638 horsepower and just over 600 lb/ft of torque has gotta be able to get them moving pretty good...

The LS9 sounds like a fun project. The only thing that might dampen the enthusiasm is the $22000 for the engine and controller. Gas pedal not included but needed!

I was looking at these, (http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/connect-cruise-powertrain-systems.html) thought it would be cool some time in the future. Everything is running perfect for now. I was at a car show last summer and talked for some time with a guy who did this in a '69 Camaro. He claimed 28mpg highway, and the car was very quick to boot.

Cory..I was looking to do the 376 also...but by the time you add in the wiring harness,,1k extra...an electronic tranny plus wiring harness the traditional motor appealed to me more..then I just went out and found a 454 instead of the 350!

I found a CTS wrecked with a motor and 6 speed in it. 2005 they changed from a 5 to a 6 speed, but it is sketchy on if they used a T56 or an AISIN AY-6 six speed.

The add states GERTAG, but thats the 5 speed they put into it before the 6 speed swap over..

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm knee deep into a ls3 connect and cruise update. It's a complete gut job of engine, chassis, and interior. Way over budget but you know how that goes. Should have startup by August and completion of interior this fall. A few of the updates below. I'll post some pics next week.

LS3/4L65E connect and cruise

9 inch Currie rear end with 3.7:1 final drive ratio and positrac

Eibach lowering springs

Rear sway bar

Hotchkis rear suspension

11 inch Ford drums (held off on disc for now)

All new front suspension

New poly bushings everywhere

New shocks

New LS-tailored griffin radiator and new elec fan

VHX gauges

New radio w Bluetooth and iPod/mp3 connector

Buckets with center console (shift works update to 4 speed)

All new a/c system and heater core (retained and reconditioned htr Box)

New bumpers

My son and I finally found the 1967 Skylark he wanted.. so it will be getting a new LS.. after we start stripping her down.. no rust car outta cali...

• 2 weeks later...

My_MC_Engine_Bay_LS3.jpg

This is a picture of the engine bay. I finished cleaning up the engine bay wiring and installing the VHX gauges this weekend (this pic is prior to my cleanup). Next up is putting some gas in and pressuring the fuel system to check for leaks. I used AN6 for routing the fuel lines to my new Aeromotive Stealth gas tank. After that, off to the exhaust shop and then first start up! Its been 8 months since I started with many many hours invested. Can't wait! I am in O'Fallon, MO.

I'll get some more pics uploaded in August. It's tight with choosing to retain the original A/C system (vs Vintage Air), but it works. The gauges installed without a hitch and are great (I did red backlight). Biggest thing I am finding is that the Connect and Cruise is misleading. It makes it simpler, but it is still a major job installing everything. This forum, along with the LS1 forum and Chevelle forum have been invaluable for all of my upgrades.

One add - I ended up using the AirAid CAI for a Camaro, vice the one they have for Chevelle. I then drilled a couple of holes in the core support around the headlight and punched a 2.5 inch hole though the inner fender well to increase airflow. The headlight surround will cover the 2 holes I drilled, but air does flow around the headlight, so some increased air should go through. The Chevelle CAI from AirAid is designed for the inner fender well of a Chevelle, which is different from MC due to its different engine bay and wheelbase length. Had to cut off the flange on the side that mounts the windshield wiper bottle in order to clear the filter. Then relocated the water bottle to just below this location and sat it on the frame mounted up againt the fender well.

It is a Griffin 3 inch set up for an LSx engine. The radiator hoses are on passenger side and tranny cooler connects on driver side. Comes with a port for radiator overflow and a port for the steam port connect. If you go to their website and search for chevelle it should pop up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm contemplating buying a 6.0 out of a 03 HD truck for a very low price with harness and computer. Knowing the truck heads, intake and throttle body aren't the most desirable, can someone point me in the right direction for heads? I'm thinking GM 243 heads, a GM hot cam, LS6 intake, 90mm throttle body? Looking to build it to @ 450-500hp (at the crank) or does someone know the key LS ingredients/components for a build like this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...