linkage pic required

pocobill7t1

Bill here is a quick one I google searched for now, Let me dig out my GM books and see what I can find buddy unless someone beats me to it...

Darren.

1000x1000_zpscda06a83.jpg

Hey Bill, do these help....

RPO M35 is a 2 speed power glide tranny

RPO M38 is a TH350 tranny

RPO M40 is a TH400 Tranny

Darren

a6a972ef-a7a0-4f3f-aa46-942c349c1fb9_zps98f40c0e-41d5-4134-bd63-8234a3b057ed_zps489b92f0-92a2-465e-9c3e-0f449ac54da2_zps

The second picture Bill is D55 B3 shows on the bottom picture not only the hook up for the shifter linkage but also the added shifter rod so you can make use of the indicator in your speedo still if you didn't get a floor shift speedo that eliminates the park,reverse,neut,drive etc... The elcamino's use that set up on some floor shifter set ups.

If the pictures seem to small still Bill send me a PM with your home email attached and I will email them to you to print off....

Darren.

Darren these are GREAT and a big help, Now I know more than the guys at gasoline ally in Langley BC. they had less of a clue than me. This is why this club rocks! Because of Darren and other members...thanks smile

I noticed the drawings show the pin for the front end of the shift cable on a TH400 is mounted with the ball end toward the trans. My '70 has it turned the other way. I'll have to check and see which way works the best.

Dan

• 7 years later...

I'm bumping this because I need some clarification and this post has pictures lol. I believe in another thread I read the horseshoe shifter has a linkage adjustment. Long story short after my issue at the track my shifter doesn't line up correctly. For example reverse gear is now between the P and R on the center console, and in P the car still rolls freely. So I'm not clear on what or where the adjustment is. 

Mark, on the left side of the shifter handle, where the cable end attaches to it with the clip, you can loosen the nut that holds that little bracket to it and gain a little adjustment. I have aftermarket cables, that also provide a threaded adjustment, but not sure if yours has that. 

I'm at work now, or I'd snap a pic of my old shifter to show you what I mean about the handle adjustment. You should see it though, it may be a 1/4" bolt that holds that little bracket firm to the handle. You may have to loosen the upper and lower nuts, to let that bracket rotate for the adjustment.

EDIT: I added a snip of the above pics to show you where.

shifter.JPG

• Like 1

Most likely the cable at the transmission pipes out/off. The clip probably fell out. The cable also adjusts slightly at the transmission bracket where the back drive also connects. 

• Like 1

Ok, removed retainer clip, (a) removed cable (b) and pushed lever (c) about roughly 1/4" and rear tires locked up (as is supposed to be in Park)  Reversed order and rear tires still don't move (yes rear is on jack stands and tires are off the ground) Cycled shifter through all positions and then back to park and I'm back at square one, tires move freely.   So if I understand Tom correctly I can loosen the 9/16 nut (d) and adjust there ? Don't mean to be OCD about this just trying to get it done right the first time lol 

And while I'm asking questions, how tight should the nut be going to the transmission on the lever, seems like a little play on mine 

Trans2.jpeg