Big Blue returns to the track and.....

72 LS5

...cracked the 11s!!! yay

Ran 11.9 at 114. Density Altitude: 1386 feet

Not sure how that happened as the tires I ran are 2 inches taller than the ones from a couple weeks ago. That, coupled with the drag-unfriendly 3.31 gear and 2200 converter somehow didn't phase that 502. It was hotter than last time, 80s but then dropped to about 77 on my last run.

I went with fellow club member Jay, with a 72 Custom and fresh 454. He had some sweet 12 second passes, and another friend with a new Charger SRT8 392 (13 flat at 108).

I loaned Jay my MT ET Streets and I had a set of newer 275 60 Nitto 555Rs which didn't hook worth a darn and I was really frustrated. But on the last pass, I really heated them puppies up good and that did the trick. Got a lackluster 1.85 60', but it hooked. My new (old) shift light was set for 5400 but was going off at like 4500 nutz, even with another pill, which left me to rely on my totally inaccurate tach again. But it all worked out, we are all safe, and no flatbeds were involved!

I was so stoked, I started crackin beers beerbeer to celebrate, then I realized I shoulda been swapping jets and getting my mph up!

Moroso1_zps3bf86e44.jpeg

Moroso2_zpsc483c951.jpeg

Nice run!!

Can't wait to run mine to see where we're at. Likely mid-12's somewhere.

But your giving me a bit of confidence I may do better. I have .30 over 454, Crower #1403 hydraulic roller cam 563/586 @ 110 , stock heads ported/polished/port matched , Manley Valves, dbl valve springs and Crower stainless roller rockers, RPM intake, 780 Pro Systems Holley with the same 3:31's with a bit more stall at 2600-2800. Maybe I will get lucky! …… or die tryin'

Great runs Mikey. Glad you hit the 11's …….. now you can sleep.

Dan

WTG Mike. That B/B is making some good steam especially with that mild of a gear.

Have fun and be safe. Don't know what kind of safety gear you have but a sfi jacket, collar and even gloves would be a good idea.

I bought a jacket, pants, shoes and collar and have a full face Bell helmet. I also mounted a halon fire extinguisher with a bracket mounted to the seat bolts on the drivers side. Fire scares me!

My car ain't that fast and I remember some guys kinda laughing at me one night at tnt when they saw me suited up. I chuckled back and said you can burn to death just as fast in an 11 second car as you can in an 8 second car.

David

Awesome!! Enjoy your bragging rights and that cold brew Mikey!! Same thing happened to me. I was running a shorter 26 in m/t and rippin 11.70s and switched with mike neptunes 28in m/t and bam 11.30s. And since he could use more gear my shorter tire helped him as well. I needed more side wall and man did i crinkle it!!! I run a 295/55/15 now at 28in and its just what i needed. Lots of luck getting faster!!!!

Thanks guys..

Dan - Jay was running a similar combo as you with a little more lift and more gear and it should be good for some mid-12s.

David - I don't race the car often, only when I make a change. That's no excuse....I should have some more safety equipment. You gave me some things to think about - thanks!

Al - when you picked up with a taller tire, was it b/c of too much gear at the top end, beyond the powerband? Was this with the 4.10 gear? I am going through the traps at like 5200 so I have plenty of room for more gear. I up'ed my rev limiter to 5800 so my higher shift points my be the reason for faster times.

Greg - can you believe I finally made it to the strip???

With 411s and the 26 tire I wast trapping at 64-6500 and the taller 28 was a lil less at about 62-6300. I shift around 6500. thats where I need ti be. Car is deadly consistant. Put some more gear in blue and a lil more convertor and youll be needing a roll bar for sure.

Mike the biggest thing with the taller tire is more contact patch. My testing showed the rollout trumps width, increasing rollout by say 2" is like adding 3" of width. Plus it gives you more sidewall switch makes the tire stiffer. A big heavy car needs a stiff sidewall tire so keep that in mind when selecting a tire. 5800 would be max for that cam, it's on the downhill side of making power by about 5500.... wink

Thanks Davey for your input! I need to get up to speed on the drag lingo here. When you say 2" of rollout, are you referring to 2" of actual front-to-back contact patch? And the switch....can you expand on that? I thought a more flexible sidewall would be more beneficial. crazy

Rollout is basically the circumference of the tire meaning you mark the tire and the distance it takes to go 1 revolution... so with a taller tire give you more distance for a revolution

Nice times

what Paul said....switch should have been which...if the sidewall is too flexible then it will collapse on the rim which is not good...you want the tire to take the punishment so the sidewall needs to be pretty stiff with a heavy car... wink

...cracked the 11s!!! yay

Ran 11.9 at 114. Density Altitude: 1386 feet

Not sure how that happened as the tires I ran are 2 inches taller than the ones from a couple weeks ago. That, coupled with the drag-unfriendly 3.31 gear and 2200 converter somehow didn't phase that 502.

Nice! I disagree though that the 3.31 and 2200 converter are drag-unfriendly! Big blocks make gobs of torque low in the rpms- more converter and gear throws it away. My 454 w/3.31 / 2400 converter / 275/60-15 MT DRs has nipped the 11's with a 1.69 60'. That 502 was moving upstairs with that 114! Play around with your launch and get that short time down and you'll see a .7. What is the whole combination?

Nice! I disagree though that the 3.31 and 2200 converter are drag-unfriendly! Big blocks make gobs of torque low in the rpms- more converter and gear throws it away. My 454 w/3.31 / 2400 converter / 275/60-15 MT DRs has nipped the 11's with a 1.69 60'. That 502 was moving upstairs with that 114! Play around with your launch and get that short time down and you'll see a .7. What is the whole combination?

Yeah, you are probably right. If the cam is conservative enough, the extra gear and converter probably won't get me much. I don't want to change them anyway! I'm crossing the line at about 5200. If I move the power band up any more, I think a little more gear could help.

It's a 10.6 502, balanced, stock zz cam (527,544), performer 0-port heads, performer rpm manifold, and 850 dp carb.