Sign in to follow this  

dying seatbelts

I have a set of green deluxe seatbelts, but I need them to be black. What are my options besides having to buy a new black set? Could I dye them? I also have a black set,not deluxe. Could they be taken apart and re-stitched? Please help!!! Thank you!!!!

I dyed mine....used vinyl spray actually. They didn't turn out too bad and seem to be holding up OK. The original belts were sort of a light tan so it took a few coats to get them looking black. If your green is a dark green it will probably cover better.

My Monte

What type of prep did you do befor spraying them?

What type of prep did you do befor spraying them?

Not much of anything really. Wiped them down with a damp cloth. I was afraid to use anything else. At the time I figured if it didn't work I'd just replace them. They were in decent shape to begin with.....just the wrong color.

My Monte

thanks for the tip, i went Walmart and they

had the vinyl spray it worked great.

thanx George

The best way to do this is to go to Wal-Mart and by yourself a couple bottles of "Rit Dye". It's usually in the laundry section. You need a cooking pot you won't need anymore and stir stick of some sort. Follow the directions on the bottle. It's the best way because it won't hurt your buckles and you rinse them in cold water at the end of the process which helps wash the buckels. I did my seat belts over 2 years ago and they still look new. They will dye completly through and you won't have that tint from other dying processes. I've tried to dye seat belts with two diffrent types of spray dye and they both dyed black but had a copperish tint to them after they were done.

Jon.

Just saw the add today in Hot Rod.

Dye it! Change black to white or any color in between. VHT penetrating Color Dye for vinyl, carpet. # 888-991-8420 PJ1.com, click VHT

Sounds good.

Sign in to follow this