My '70 SS454 build

overdrive

Thanks Aaron.

I bolted the torque converter and the transmission to the motor this evening and bolted them to the frame.

Glad to see that the ARH headers clear the factory located brake proportioning valve.

Dan

post-339-0-81315700-1465785146_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-88301900-1465785179_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-28001300-1465785196_thumb.jpg

Yes, I'm pretty happy with the headers. Got to spend some time on the car today. I have some of the exhaust mocked up and ready to weld some joints. Did some work in front of the motor. I put the core support on and the fan and shroud. Also put some more stainless tubing on. I need a better fitting upper radiator hose.

Dan

post-339-0-59142300-1466304412_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-68355300-1466304459_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-74620000-1466304514_thumb.jpg

Thanks fellas. The costs have been spread over many years and it's still not done.

My son and I "restored" a '71 Monte for him 8 years ago and we had a good time working together. It was his first car and he drove it to high school every day, after we did it. We didn't take it to this level for several reasons. Have fun and you'll build a great car and lots of memories.

Dan

I changed the front springs color from black to gray last night. I made a special tool to use with my floor jack and installed one of the front springs today. It worked good. Bolted the spindle in place, put the spring in position and jacked it up. With a little help from my wife, I was able to line up the lower control arm bolt holes and she got the bolts started.

Dan

post-339-0-42101800-1466797767_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-13337200-1466797811_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Joe. I got a little further this afternoon and evening. Both sides are to this point now.

Rock, my exhaust supplier said he'd work with me on returning the system, but I decided I didn't want the hassle and shipping costs. I planned to weld some of the joints anyway and I've cut 5" out of the X pipe. I set up the welder yesterday and practiced with the TIG on some scrap stainless pipe. I plan to do some of the exhaust welds next week.

Dan

post-339-0-86554800-1466818918_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-26805700-1466818936_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I ran the motor last weekend to pump transmission fluid into the torque converter and to listen to the Magnaflow mufflers. I like the way they sound.

I took a vacation day to work on the car today, and I got some things done, including putting the body back on the frame and torquing the body mount bolts. I need to bolt all the panels on to check all the gaps, since I'm using a different frame. I'll be disassembling for paint.

Dan

post-339-0-06580500-1467953286_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Willie. Please post some pics and updates on your cars for us sometime.

I put the doors and fenders back on a week ago today and found that I had a 3/4" gap where the top of the core support and the fender needed to bolt together on both sides. I bought this frame in Iowa several years ago from a guy that had taken it from a parts car he had bought. I'm guessing the car had been off roading at some time. I took the fenders off, set 4 concrete anchors, and after protecting the powder coat finish, chained the frame down at the firewall on both sides. I took measurements, and after using the chassis service manual frame specs and a 12 ton bottle jack, I was able to correct the problem. I put the fenders, grille, bumper, etc, on again today and was happy to see everything bolted up better than it had on the original frame. I need to put on a few more pieces and line up the hood that I put on last thing today. I don't think it'll be a problem, and then I'll be ready to take it apart again. I've done a little of the block sanding, but still have alot to do. Still need to send the hood latch parts and a few others out to be replated.

Dan

post-339-0-52307800-1468813380_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-64779400-1468813402_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks!

The hood alignment was a pain. I had to readjust the body on the frame, and then the core support and fenders. I finally got it. Now to make notes, take it apart, finish the body work, and choose the color.

Dan

• Like 1

The light at the end of the tunnel is in view. Can't wait to see the finished project. Do you have an idea of what color you are going to do?

Well, after some more fender shimming, measuring, and head scratching, I'm not satisfied with the gap at the front of the passenger side door. The driver side gap is about 1/4" and the other side is a little more, and it just doesn't look good. I'd like to reduce the driver side too, but that's as small as it can be and not have the door hitting the fender when opening. It seems the body lines on the doors and fenders are the cause for a little bigger gap there than on some other cars.

I started welding a piece of steel rod to the door edge this evening. It'll be welded solid, the full length, on both sides and it'll take a good number of trial fits to get the door edge finished, but I think I'll be happier with it.

Dan