My '70 SS454 build

overdrive

Thanks, everyone. The skills can be learned by pretty much anyone. Patience is important.

I've made good progress on some load leveling compressor brackets for some of our members and worked on my car some more. My 8" rally wheels are Chevrolet originals with 4" backspace and the rear tires were pretty close to the wheelwell lip. My new Moser axles have thicker flanges that put the tires even closer to the lip, so I bought 4 new rallys with 4 1/2" backspace. USA made and nice wheels with powder coat. New tires came in Wednesday. The ones I had on this car have been on our Nomad for several years now. I buffed and polished the taillight lenses and they cleaned up really well. Rewrapped the trunk wiring harness and got the taillights installed with new bulbs. Shot spatter paint in part of the trunk to be able to install the wiring and NOS side marker lights. Finished plumbing and testing the new load leveling control valve and the air shocks. Works great. Put the rear brakes on and new stainless parking brake cables. Reinstalled the power window mechanisms and wiring, along with the roofrail seals and the 4 pcs of side glass. Got the cowl and firewall insulation installed. Cleaned, installed, and tested all of the vacuum motors and the heater box. Installed the gas, brake, and parking brake pedals. Figured out the issue with my top radiator hose. Ran the motor for a few minutes with the rear in the air, no tires in place, and the trans in drive so I could check the trans fluid level.

Dan

post-339-0-47514900-1499655167_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-53054900-1499655252_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-12026800-1499655297_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-69018500-1499656228_thumb.jpg

Dan, do you or anyone have a supplier for the vacuum tees and lines for the air ride system? I know at the compressor I need everything. I also look foward to a set of your brackets.....and again, your car is looking fantastic.

Thank you, Jared and Paul. I bought the original type brass nuts for the tubing from Rockauto.com 3 or 4 years ago, and 18' of the 1/8th inch plastic tubing on ebay about a month ago. I had the fittings from my old control valve and the compressor, so I didn't have to look for those. You might look at part AC Delco P501 at Rockauto. It shows a tee and nut. I don't know what thread it has for the control valve connection, but you can adapt it, if needed. It's not expensive and it might work.

I can get the part number for the nut for you.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

I finished installing the the vinyl top this morning. I spent the rest of the day sanding the stainless trim for the top, taping it off, and painting the pieces satin black like the factory trim was done.

The AC "suitcase", as some call it, is restored and ready to bolt in place.

Dan

Thank you. Installed the vinyl top trim and sanded/buffed/polished the trunk lid. Got it installed. Cleaned and painted inside the trunk and it's now ready for spatter paint.

Dan

post-339-0-02638700-1502158054_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-88352200-1502158108_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-74898600-1502158563_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-31370400-1502158731_thumb.jpg

Great job, hope its for your personal collection and not for the bidding block. Such detail in the build. Really surprised you went with headers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks fellas. There's no plans to sell it. My wife probably will, hopefully a long time from now. If the block was original to the car, I would've probably done a stock restoration under the hood. I started disassembling the steering box this evening. I hate leaks.

Dan

post-339-0-31859600-1503630899_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-02207700-1503630914_thumb.jpg

Hey Dan,

Nice following along on your build, she's looking sweet. The old leaking Saginaw steering box,, man talk about frustrated on my first attempt, must of eaten 3 or 4 of the lavender Teflon o rings on the nut rack piston. Finally I got the hang of it.. using a piston ring compressor, cause even putting them in hot boiling water would not do the trick. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Thank you Rod. I used the boiling water trick to get it in the groove on the piston, but my piston ring compressor wouldn't fit down into the case far enuogh to do any good. I tried to install the piston and I shaved a piece off the lavender seal. I measured the thickness of the new one and the old one with digital calipers and found they were the exact same thickness, so I reinstalled the original seal with no problem. I installed the headliner yesterday and finished the rebuild, restoration, and installation of the steering gear today. Headliners are not fun. The only other one I've installed was in my son's 71. It takes me a lot of time to get them right. I'll install the dome light, the mirror, and the visors next.

Dan

post-339-0-03703100-1503885872_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-59086000-1503885898_thumb.jpg

Thank you James.

Rock, the lower corners of the top, by the rear glass were not rusty, even with the vinyl top. The odd thing was that it had a small spot at the top of the rear glass that was flaking, but not rusted through. I cut it out and repaired with metal. That was all the roof needed. This car had been bought out of a garage in 95 or 96 by the second owner. The number of years it was there is unknown. The second owner told me he had known the original owner, whom had passed away before selling it, and he had stored it at some point well before passing. The 2nd owner got it from the estate, but didn't know how long it was stored. The car had very little rust when I got it.

Dan