Exhaust leak

Help!!

I have hooker headers on my rebuilt 350. I can not stop the exhaust leak! I wont drive it with that awful sound:-( I have tried Mr. Gasket, hooker gaskets and copper! Nothing is fixing it! Any suggestions!!!!

Thanks so much

Jodi

Try high temp RTV with the gasket it works. Some just use high temp RTV without a gasket and have no problems, personally, I use both.

Mike

Are you sure it's leaking at the head? I've also heard of doubling the gasket at the head. It's worth a try. I've doubled the collector end for years but not the head mount. Before I mount the header, I always filed the welds on the header mounting plate to insure their flat.........

I never figured that out; they put the weld on the head-side of the flange plate and grind some flatness to it and call it a sealing surface.

Before I installed mine, I had them blasted and then brazed a nice filet between the pipes and flange on the outside of the flange plate...then had a machine shop mill the flange plate flat where it meets the head (no more welds standing proud). I use a stock chevy exhaust gasket and have zero issues.

If only the header makers went to the trouble to do that! Of course I started with the cheap "painted" header, and had it coated after all the mods were done.

Hey Mike,,,,,what size are your front tires? I need to get a 2in drop spindle,,,by front is way too high. I have 15in tires all the way around,,,,do you think I will need to change tire size? I hope not, they're brand new:-)

I am running 245-60-15's on the front and if you take a straight edge from the top of the tire to the top outer edge of the fender I have 1 3/4" space/gap. When I rebuilt my suspension my front springs were wore out and I made the mistake of going with original big block springs. I didn't take into account that I was going with aluminum heads on my engine and when I installed, it took a while for the front to drop a little. Still a tiny bit too high IMO and I probably should have went with small block springs. I can live with the way it is now until I get an itch to mess with it all again, but not for a long time. smile

Some people on here cut off some of their springs to achieve the height they are looking for. I know it works but I am not a big fan of that procedure. If you search the threads you can find some write-ups on exactly where they cut them and how to install them in the proper location.

Mike

I used Remflex at the recommendation of the owner of Winner's Circle in Joliet, IL. Just cannot overtighten but guaranteed not to leak. I have not had a problem. I actually trimmed them to fit the shape of the headers so there is no extra material between the cylinders. Very clean looking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...