Is this a factory speaker grill?

farmall

Hey guys, I am ready to get some tunes in my 72 but I want to keep things looking original, if possible. My car came with these speaker grills when I bought it. Do you think these are factory originals? I installed some new 6 x 9s last night. My grills only have 3 studs on them. When I attached the speakers, one corner of the grill is raised up because of the absence of a stud on that corner. Do your factory grills have 3 or 4 studs? I wonder if I could add one? I am sure I would have to repaint them. Any suggestions would be welcome.

DSCN2996_zps9dabdc02.jpg

That anchoring post is likely broken. I have seen repair studs offered on ebay from time to time. Don't know how useful they may be as I've never tried them. Those rear speaker grills don't look appropriate for your year & model. Aarons show the correct ones in his pic for 1972.

Following this LINK you may find a repair stud on maybe a correct replacement grill.

Doug

I went out and looked at the set that were in a box of parts when I got my 71. It turns out I have the squared off ones used in 1970 and not the correct rounded ones for my 71. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for the correct speaker grills.

The good news is that the rounded ones are very common while the squared off ones I have are one year only and can sell for quite a bit more.

Here's what the factory 1970 grills look like:

speakergrills001.jpg

The factory grills are not reproduced. They can be found thru ebay, making inquiries to Koniks Classics, using club wanted/for sale forum and other venues. I would also PM Malibu400 (club member) as I bet he would have them as well.

Doug

My 72 looks like this. I only have one speaker though on passenger side. Not sure why this is

20140530_090159.jpg

There were a couple different stereo options. One option had just one speaker in the rear and another option had 2 in the rear.

• Like 1

Originally Posted By: 72jrfan88
My 72 looks like this. I only have one speaker though on passenger side. Not sure why this is

20140530_090159.jpg

There were a couple different stereo options. One option had just one speaker in the rear and another option had 2 in the rear.

Yes. The AM/FM Mono & with fader had the single rear speaker while AM/FM stereo radio had one each side of package tray.

Doug

Originally Posted By: 72jrfan88

20140530_090159.jpg

That set up is for a non stereo radio. Either AM or AM-FM mono radio. All stereo and 8 track radios got two front and two rear speakers.