Sign in to follow this  
Canuck

Testing the idiot light

I want to test the temp idiot light but I'm not sure how. Can I touch the two wires together, would that work? Thanx smile

Aaron,

Not sure which wires you are talking about. If the bulb is removed from the car you can use an volt/ohm meter and put each of the two leads from the ohm meter onto the bulb contacts and with the meter set at ohm, the needle should deflect to almost a full short across the bulb. There is not much resistance in a light bulb. When you remove the leads from the bulb the needle should drop down to "0". If when the meter leads are connected to the bulb contacts and the needle doesn't move, it is detecting an open in the circuit (normally a break in the filament of the bulb.

Rob

Easy to do.

1. Drain coolant.

2. Start car.

3. drive for 2 hours.

If light comes on when car overheats then it works laugh

Just send Pete the bill for any engine damage this may cause. :P

Easy to do.

1. Drain coolant.

2. Start car.

3. drive for 2 hours.

Easy to do.

1. Drain coolant.

2. Start car.

3. drive for 2 hours.

I tried that last summer when I lost my rad cap. LOL (see the story on my web site)

I just put new lugs on the connector that clips on the temp sender today. The light comes on for a split second when I start the car. I think that's normal. So, it looks like it's working.

I'm heading to the meet in Nevada so I'm a little paranoid of the heat. It should be ok though. Last summer, I flushed the entire system, put in a new heater core and water pump, got new hoses, and I just got a new rad cap. I should be good to go. Thanx smile

I see that you got the idiot light fixed. I guess that means you are smarter than the light. laughwink

See you at the Meet. party

That was cold, George. He's going to need all the cold he can get. LOL

As for the idiot lights; those should all light up when you turn on the ignition prior to starting. They are wired that way so you can verify that the bulbs are functioning.

Thanx for the support boys. LOL

The temp light comes on as I'm cranking the engine over to start it. The oil light works differently, it comes on when I click the key on but before I crank it. Is this how it should be?

I see that you got the idiot light fixed. I guess that means you are smarter than the light. laughwink

See you at the Meet. party

Sorry about that, my humor was like that for the day. :rolleyes:

My way would of worked very well for the record laugh

Hey Tim can i use your car as the test subject at the meet??

sure pete.. no problem man... so long as you pay for my rebuild after woodward smile

Since this topic is already out here...

Can anyone explain why my temp light stays on until the car warms up and then goes out?

Joker I would venture a guess in that the sensor could be the wrong type. GM Made a sensor that use to to be closed when engine was cold and then open when it got above a set temp. I remember seeing that in a impala once. Green Cold Light.

ya the oil light will be on till the engine builds oil pressure, so when you turn the key on but not start it, the oil pressure sees that there is no pressure and it goes on, pretty slick eh?

Sign in to follow this