T56 behind BBC?

Nick H.

Guys, I'm looking for a little input here. . . I have decided that it's time to cut down my "collection" a bit, and I want to make my Monte a bit more enjoyable to drive. It currently has a built TH350 behind a 468BBC. It's fun to drive, but it is terrible on gas, and I think I would really enjoy banging gears in this car. Now, one of the cars I'll be getting rid of is a '94 Firebird Formula with the LT1/T56. I plan on parting the car out, but I've been told that the T56 will bolt right up to the BBC in the Monte.

I have a few questions. As far as I know, I won't need a bellhousing, the input shaft is the same, and everything will line up properly. Will the LT1 flywheel/clutch setup work? Can I use the Firebird tunnel to modify the Monte trans tunnel for the shifter to fit through? Will I need to get Monte specific pedals, or can I use the Firebird pedals/master-slave cylinder setup? Is it possible to use the SS console with a manual transmission, and how far off will the opening be for the shifter after installing the T56, assuming I don't relocate the engine at all? How about making the factory speedometer work with the T56?

I'm going to be rebuilding the T56 with stage 2 internals from thegearbox.com, which they say will handle 600-650HP. I will also be installing a clutch that's up to the task. I am fairly certain I'll need a custom driveshaft, which isn't a problem. This is something I had talked to my Dad about before he passed away, and he thought it would be pretty cool to see it done. I'd like to keep the engine as close to the way he built it as possible, but I may need to drop the compression a bit so I can run it on pump gas. . .

Any suggestions? I am parting out two LT1 Formulas, one's a 700R4 car, the other a T56 car. Most of the money is going toward paying my Mom the rest of what I owe her for the car, and I'll probably sell the TH350 to help cover the cost of any additional parts needed for the trans swap, such as the driveshaft, trans k-member, clutch, etc.

I don't have a specific timeline for this project, although I would like to see the Monte Carlo back on the road within 2 years, and hopefully finished completely at that time, although I'm not going to be upset if things take longer than that. Any help is appreciated, and if anyone here has done this swap, I'd love to pick your brain for a bit about the challenges you faced. Thanks!

You have a few decisions to make..

1. mechanical or hydraulic clutch

2. T56 may not fit the tunnel, so changing the tail or moving the tunnel hole.

3. custom or old tranny xmember

4. neutral saftey switch

5. key release (has to be in reverse for my car)

6. double / triple check the HP rating on your trans.. it may only be the 350 - 400 HP variant..

7. getting a shovel that has the pedal setup, or you can buy the whole kit from keisler (other places too)

8. do not believe the clutch disk you have will work for the BBC.. and I would suggest a shatter proof bellhousing if your planning on more tha a DD

LSx website has a lot of info on the 5/6 speed upgrades.

I am on travel right now, but I have a bunch of info on my computer at the house, so I will forward to you. I was going to change out my car, then decided on a different car.. now I am going for the full blown LS/T56 swap with a pro touring suspension.. OH yeah, and winning the lottery!!

7. getting a shovel that has the pedal setup, or you can buy the whole kit from keisler (other places too)

Ummm, Keisler is bankrupt... smile

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a quote from Silver Sport Transmission.  It looks like you can get the transmission and all to hook it up for $5750.  Includes clutch, bellhousing, pedals and many many other items.  I think I might stick with my auto before I spend that much.   I am looking for other options at this point.