What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Ahhh what a gorgeous weekend..took the kids camping in the back yard..copious amounts if coffee and bacon..got a 20 pack of cut-off disks..on sale...and NOW I will start my 1/4 panel work..burn 1 in and cut the other off ...SOOO envious of those that are rolling..even got a tear when I passed a 72 on the highway.....maybe for my 50th it'll be almost done

Well yesterday was a busy day cleaned up the dash board housing for the 72 and noticed that under the black paint or dye the dash is chrome in color. Got the dash cleaned up and though I would try that carbon fiber spray paint well I have the look in some areas but not all over the dash :(. I went ahead and installed the U-14 cluster in the housing along with all the vents and the control panel and dropped it into the car 11175030_963799716988335_259342046114536 it's looking more like a car now.

Hang in there Bill......what you are accomplishing on that Monte is something to be totally proud of and not for the faint of heart....you'll get there buddy.

She's really coming along there Robert....good looking dash.

I am at the point of being able to start the reassembly.  I wanted to install the Exhaust manifolds an I had started doing the passenger side when I realized I had not put the studs for the exhaust pipes into the manifolds so I removed the passenger side again.  I started installing the studs but they would not go more than 1/2 thread into the manifolds so I had to take them back home.  What I found was when I had the old studs removed the guy who did it did not run a Tap through them to clean the threads.  

Since I could not install the manifolds I started installing some of the other items.  I installed the coil, carb, all the vacuum lines, carb linkages and spark plug heat shield  brackets.

I also found "The Parts Place" sent me the wrong Exhaust Manifold bolts.  The set they sent me were all 12 bolts the same length but I think the set they sent me is for a non-air conditioning car because there is an extra bracket for the compressor support.  

It may be a few days before I get back to the reassembly if I have to get the correct bolts or maybe use the two old bolts.  

When I got home with the manifolds I ran a tap through the manifold holes and this solved the issues studs not threading up into the manifold.

Rob

I appreciate the kudos of encouragement gents..and with that ....well I finally got the drivers 1/4 on..yahoo..my oldest lad said today he can't wait to be dropped off at high school and get out of this car..(I'm thinking he will want this for grad..in 5 years..that's too soon for me)

post-1024-0-99409400-1430707536_thumb.jpg

Took it out for the first time on Sunday...went to Home Depot and a couple other places. Got a wave or thumbs up from every older car I saw on the road... B)

Finally!! I have overdrive!! It took a little longer than I expected , but it is all working well now and well worth it. Dropped about 800 RPM'S at 70 mph. Shiney Hiney tail lights installed. Rear trim piece from Cory installed, can you say "frosted" (looks nice). This much closer being ready for Carlisle! Just one more thing to add and won't tell 'til I get to Carlisle!

Passenger Side.jpgdrivers side.jpgReassembly started.jpgWell, I have started the reassembly.  I have gotten the manifolds, Spark plug heat shields replaced, carb back on.    It is supposed to rain the next few days and since it is in a storage garage i won't be able to work on it.    Sorry about the quality of the pictures but it was starting to get dark and the flash tends to distort the colors and quality of the pictures.

Dropped complete dash in the car throw on the dash pad interior is coming along slowly got my eye on a suede headliner when the time comes for one. Today rolled the poor 72 out to do some cleaning in the garage 11203121_965352953499678_528571502472402

Starting to get a handle on the hemorrhaging of parts off of the '72.      At least the snowball isn't growing larger by the day anymore.   I got the new roller cam and timing installed and dialed in; and the pan/gasket installed.   

Last night was another marathon session, ending at 2:45am, but the new suspension is finished;  and the glass is back in (still needs to be adjusted though).  The sending units and wiring for the new gauges are all in and I've devised the theft-deterrent ignition cut-out that I'll be implementing.     It felt good to get back on the project, as I was out of the garage for a week, as the wife and I flew out to spend time with the grand-kids.    Doug

Pulled the 70 out of its tent and back to the black top first time since last year its been on the black top. Got a few items to take car of one is get a new battery for it the old Sears Diehard has given up as it wont hold a charge (I believe the battery has been in the car since 2012). Though out the times I have been in the trunk I never noticed a mouse had moved in and made a mess on two of my microfiber towels.Game plan clean her up get ready for a Mother's day car show and maybe next week visit an all Corrvette show across the street from me.

11210432_966195446748762_963643212987520

Took the 4spd out today and decided to go for a drive as My health has kept me at bay as most of you know and went to a show n shine about 45 minutes away and figured what the heck I will stay and make it a day and registered the Monte in the show and the Unmodified/OEM catagory. walked around and saw some great GM's there. had a bite to eat and waited until the awards and then headed out but was surprised to WIN the Best OEM/Unmodified award!!! got me some goodies and a free oil change at Mr Lube and free entry for next year...... Man I like going to these shows... hahaha. just got to get myself Fully Restored now, find an after market Kidney and finish the Chemo and good to go.....

Darren.....

PS, MR King your Monte is looking awesome,,,, love the Cowl Hood on it.. 

Congrats Darren!

I changed oil in both Montes today. I had the 70 Monte around town with a few stops today and turned some heads. I'm always amazed at how my 70 gets more attention than my 71. The turquoise is not a sporty colour but seems to grab people's attention.

Congrats Darren!

I changed oil in both Montes today. I had the 70 Monte around town with a few stops today and turned some heads. The turquoise is not a sporty colour but seems to grab people's attention.

Sure it is a sporty color Aaron.  I love the color of your car.

Rob

Spent a considerable effort polishing the 72's front grill,  The more time I spend, the more encouraged by those results.  Also, thermostat housing again seeping antifreeze at gasket.  I torqued the bolts and will see if this finally seals it.  Checked all fluids, inspected under carriage for fluid leaks and satisfied.  Took a short drive back to garage where she is now resting comfortably.

Doug 

I have gotten a little more done on the Monte.  I re-torqued the exhaust manifold bolts, installed the valve covers and torqued them.  As per the instructions that came with the gasket's and the gasket seal, I allowed the gasket to take a seat for a couple hours and re-torqued them.  I installed the new spark plugs, plug wire retainers, plug wires, and all other wires which had been removed.  I looked at the distributor cap and rotor and they were both looking shabby so I got new ones.  The heater hoses are reconnected using new tower clamps because the old ones were looking a bit rusty.  I have ordered a new radiator hose from Lutty's.

I still need to install the new Rotor, Distributor cap, radiator hose, vacuum hoses, new radiator hose tower clamps, and a few other items.  I need to refill the radiator with Anti-Freeze, change the oil and filter and other house keeping items and do some cleanup and she will be ready to roll.  

rob

The rain cut my work time short tonight.  I continued with the reassembly of the engine compartment.  Installed the new rotor, distributor cap, air conditioner compressor brackets and compressor, power steering pump brackets and pump but no belts yet.

I got delayed a bit tonight because I ended up with an extra bolt in the bag I had for the Air Conditioning compressor.  I broke out the assembly manual and finally found where it belonged.    I didn't even remember removing that bolt.  I also installed the PCV Valve Grommet.

Coming along fine, just need more time to work on it.

Rob

I finished up my exhaust manifold/heat shield/stove pipe saddle/spark plug heat shields/spark plugs/distributor redo/engine detailing/oil change and filter/cooling system flush & fill today.

I also removed my old ratty trunk seal and cleaned the old glue out. I test fitted the new trunk seal I got a few years ago but I didn't have any rubber seal to completely install the new one so it is just snapped I to the channel till I get the glue.

I removed my old pitted 1/4 window seal chrome channels and installed my new ones along with the new 1/4 window seals.

I started the old girl up and let her idle for about 15 minutes with the heater on full blast to get the air out of the heater lines and antifreeze circulating so I could top off the radiator.

THEN I TOOK HER FOR A RIDE, to heat up the manifolds good to bake the new paint onto it. There is nothing better than taking a first gen Monte out for a spin after doing this much work on it....... I guess I lied about that when I said there is "nothing better". The one thing better than that is having the old girl start right up and purr like a kitten.
driver side.jpgdriver side.jpgpassenger side.jpgfront.jpg

rob

• Like 1