What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Made some phone calls after work yesterday. Trying to find the best price And closest person to install the vinyl top for the Monte. I called the guy that redid my seats for me a few years ago. He recommended a guy just down the road from me. I called a Mike at Terry Horners Body Shop. $275 to install. Told the guy won't be till April. He said give him a call when I'm ready . That's what I did to my Monte today. :)

Filled up 2 5 gallon pails with hot water and some Lye drain cleaner and stripped the a anodized coating off the aluminium lower trim. The door pieces I will have to make up something to put them in,

post-678-0-88542200-1456013849_thumb.jpg

I'm finding a disappointing thing about the FiTech fuel injection systems. The 600HP systems have timing control. The $100 more 800HP system does not have timing control. I'm right at 600HP so I want the 800HP system-but I also need the timing control so I'll need to step up to the 1,200HP system that's a bunch more money. I've have a few emails with them, they will NOT swap in the computer from the 1,200HP system to the 800HP system.

Looks like I'll need to spend the bucks. :cry2:

Other than this, these systems look pretty awesome.

Looks like a good start Tony.  It is unfortunate that taking pictures of chrome or polished aluminum (shiny objects) never come out to show their true beauty.  Can't wait to see the finished product and them mounted on that freshly painted Monte.  Keep us posted on your progress and I am sure Tony D or someone else will come across with a good way of coating them again.

rob

• Like 1

50+ degrees here in NY today!

I installed my new rear brakes-or at least I attempted to. To remove the old brake backing plates, my machinist had to remove and replace the axle bearings and lock rings. (The Ford 9 inch rear has a large bearing pressed onto the axle that snug fits into the axle tube.)

It appears that the axles are going too far into the differential before this axle bearing is deep enough into the axle tube. It's like the bearing is too far out on the axle-but it's supposed to be pressed all the way on.

This prevented me from installing this beautiful set of Wilwood brakes I have. :mad:

You can see here, the bearing is supposed to be just about flush with the axle tube flange.

IMG_20160221_131323996_zpsrescfi1z.jpg

The good news is that with the wheels further out on the new spacers, the new 295/55-15 tires clear the chassis and fender flair just right.

And I pulled the intake to inspect the bearings in the roller lifters (engine last run in 1992!) and they look like new. :D

IMG_20160221_132220108%20copy_zpsi39xuxp

IMG_20160221_132212326_zpsvlvduyad.jpg

IMG_20160221_153113302_zpsdfd0dnjv.jpg

We've found the problem with my axles. The bearing has a lock ring that's pressed onto the axle after the bearing, these lock rings come with the bearing.

The lock rings that came with the bearings are much longer and are bigger in outside diameter. Upon axle insertion into the axle tube, the over sized lock ring hit the inner axle seal.

We simply need to find the correct lock rings and swap them. Unfortunately, it looks only available with bearings.

I drove my Monte to work today. While working on our son's car Sunday, replacing the drivers side tie rods I cracked the Steering Knuckle. He is using Patsy's car and she is using mine so "unfortunately" I needed a vehicle to drive to work in..... BINGO!!!!! No rain or snow forecast today so I decided to drive the Monte. Hard to make the sacrifice but someone had to.

rob

• Like 3

Picking up the Monte today after having my weak A/C repaired & serviced.  High Speed now works and the A/C blows at a confirmed 34 degrees.  I dreaded bad news concerning the entire system but the A/C Tech had no concerns with it.   The A/C Compressor was leaking and has been replaced with a New OEM Pump.

Should be a good Summer................ :)

Doug

• Like 3

Picking up the Monte today after having my weak A/C repaired & serviced.  High Speed now works and the A/C blows at a confirmed 34 degrees.  I dreaded bad news concerning the entire system but the A/C Tech had no concerns with it.   The A/C Compressor was leaking and has been replaced with a New OEM Pump.

Should be a good Summer................ :)

Doug

Cool! :rofl:

looks like open heart surgery....well it sort of is !!!!!...is the wife gonna kill you using those bath towels ??...lol

It's more of a what I prepared for my Monte really. I went to Summit Racing here in McDonough and well...

Front and rear lowering springs, all ball joints and master bushing kit by Energy Suspension as well as new front rotors.

post-4235-0-21750800-1456343509_thumb.jpg

• Like 2