What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

My Monte updates are:

- Pro Systems carb rebuild to my engines current specs.  (installed yesterday.  Car running and responding better than ever)

- Vari-Shock Double adjustable shocks all four corners   Correcting stance.  Was a little off left to right.

- Set of Nitto NT555 G2's.  Need something with more modern tread design and more sticky.  Not thinking I need slicks at 500hp.

They are available in the taller 17" sizes identical to the NT450's I have now.  (27.1"h front/ 27.8"h rear)

Dan

• Like 2

Not today, but last Saturday I did the 95 mile "Canyonball Run" in the mountain roads west of Boooulder with the Mustang & Corvette clubs. A Monte can be made to go around corners!

• Like 1

Saturday, we went for the first drive of the year, ended up driving just under 100 miles. Good times!

Bruce

• Like 2

Saturday, we went for the first drive of the year, ended up driving just under 100 miles. Good times!

Bruce

Ya gotta love it when nice weather and some spare time come together and = Monte Windshield time

rob

Haven't had mine out in several years :cry2:  hoping to get it out this summer. I have most of what it needs except the time. Since it's been sitting (in a climate controlled environment) will be redoing the carb. It has needed a higher stall convertor, that has been purchased! Albeit for all the wrong reasons, the mud truck (see Locked-n-Loaded Mud Truck on Facebook) needed a stall convertor & the one in the Monte will be perfect for it, so a new one was bought for the Monte. The only thing left to get is a new driveshaft yoke for the TH400 as the current one has quite the groove worn into it which makes it leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Mike. You should use the For Sale/Wanted forum. That's where you'll get the best results. Just be sure to include good photos of all areas of the car, and I suggest you think of all the questions you'll get. You can write a good ad that way. If you have a smart phone, including photos on your post is very easy.

Dan

Well I put plastic up this morning to get some primer on the roof. post-26-0-09681300-1526837535_thumb.jpeg Got two coats of primer post-26-0-95271700-1526837550_thumb.jpegpost-26-0-84778200-1526837562_thumb.jpeg got some over spray that dry in the primer so a quick sand next weekend and then another coat of primer before the color goes on.

23 years of whatever on the headers & exhaust. All clear after 20 minutes.

No leaks, 60 psi at 900 RPM, I couldn't be happier.

23 years?   

Glad its all cleared up!

I estimate that's the last time the engine ran enough to heat up the exhaust that much.

This was the first time running on the basterdised FiTech LS fuel injection system with all my custom widgets to make it work. This was a big and great step for me.

In preparation for the 2018 summer cruise season and round trip for the Eastern Meet, today I installed a new exhaust doughnut into the passenger side exhaust pipe.  I had to install a fiber one because they did not have a metal doughnut so I have ordered a new metal one and if I have time prior to leaving for the meet I will install that one.  

I also changed the oil and filter.  I had to go to 5 different places before I found a bottle of zinc additive for the oil.  I guess there is just not enough demand for this stuff and many places have stopped carrying it.  For the exhaust doughnut I also had to go to 3 different places before I found one because again the demand is just not there.  I guess I should order extra ones because for some reason I have trouble keeping one in the passenger side.  I have to replace it almost every year.

I also scrubbed the blue protective film from the new tire white-walls.  I had thought about leaving it on and removing it when I arrive in Carlisle but since I was already hot and sweaty I would go ahead and knock that off because I am not sure how much time I will once I get to Carlisle.

I think the car is now ready for the trip to Carlisle..

rob

• Like 1

Just a note on the above post.  This oil change fought me all the way to the end:

My Monte is stored about 15 minutes, round trip from our house.  My Model A is stored in our garage here at our house.  While driving over to the garage to pick up my Monte I thought to myself...." Don't forget the Zinc Additive when you pick up the Monte" thinking it was in my daily driver that I was going to leave at the Monte Storage Garage.  No problem, I picked it up yesterday when driving my Model A to a car show yesterday and since the Model A is stored at home, where I do all of my car work the Zinc Additive is already at home.

So I picked up the Monte and drove it home leaving my daily driver at the Monte Garage.  I put the Monte up on jack stands, drained the oil and removed the filter.  I went into the garage and grabbed the Zinc additive from inside the Model A and then realized the oil and filter I needed were in my daily driver.... Yep, it is now at the Monte Storage Garage but now it is rush hour so my 15 minute round trip is now 30 minutes. A lot of dirty words were spoken at this point. 

I drive up to the storage garage to get the oil and reach into my pocket to get the keys for my Chevrolet Captiva daily driver.... Nope, they are at home in my other pants.......... DANG.... In reality, DANG was not one of the dirty adult words that were spoken at this point, those words used when striking one's finger with a big hammer were now subject to being used and used loudly.  Back to the house to retrieve the keys and a little over an hour and a half from when I noticed my error I finally return home with the oil and filter.  Just a note here, I hit ever stop light going and coming to get the oil from the daily driver so more adult language was spoken loudly...... Very loudly and even though the windows were up in my wife's VW the people around me at the stop lights were very aware of my anguish.

Back home with the oil and filter, I grab the ez-pour bottle of Zinc Additive and soon discover, after pouring about a quarter of the bottle of additive that the ez-pour bottle is not as advertised and after 1/4 of the bottle has poured onto the valve cover, intake and exhaust manifolds, spark plug heat shields, plug wires and driver side exhaust pipe and after some more adult words (but not beverages) I try to clean up my mess and use a funnel to pour the remaining additive and oil into the engine.  

Let me add here, but you more than likely know this already, when you spill oil or oil additive where it does not belong it is not at all possible to clean it all off so once the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipes that absorbed the spill will create a ton of smoke so I had to drive it around awhile to burn that off prior to returning the car to the garage.  

Bottom line, the oil is changed and I THINK the Monte is ready for the trip to Carlisle after I inspect the belts and air pressure in the tires.

rob

BTW, thanks for allowing me to vent here a little and sorry about the adult language I was not able to add to this post.

rob

• Like 1

Been working on the Monte getting ready for the show season. Slowly but surely it is getting there. I purchased one of those synthetic clay bar pads for my 6" orbital buffer from Griot's Garage. I did the whole car in about the same time I did the hood last year by hand. Next came a Perfecting Cream, this took quite a while longer because basically it is a super fine buffing compound. The cream takes out all of the minor imperfections you get from wiping it down and the California Duster. It sure does look amazing. Next will be a Finishing Sealer that is supposed to help protect it from said minor imperfections and then the Poly Wax as the final step. A long drawn out process but it sure is standing tall and will look fantastic when finished. So far it has been a three day process because I keep getting really short on breath. That problem will be fixed on June 22nd as I am having a triple bypass operation. Boy getting old sure is starting to suck but it beats the alternative.

• Like 1

Rob and Larry. I can totally relate to both your stories. Life can be so busy that I find myself disorganized at times and so things (such as oil changes) don't go as smoothly as they normally would. My arthritis is pretty bad sometimes and just yesterday I was pretty achy and walking a little off kilter down the hallway. I bumped into a small table sending the lamp on to the tile floor breaking it in to several pieces. It is now filed under G. The last two months have been extra crazy with publishing my Classic Cruising magazine and now with yard work and maintenance around the house. Will it be better after retirement Guys? LOL

No it only gets worse after retirement. I look around and wonder how I ever had time to work, remodel the house, keep up with the yard chores, help out my parents when needed and go to all of the kids school and after school activities. There are not enough hours in the day to get it all done.

Performed an oil & filter change. Although this oil has been in the engine since last summer, the 20 minutes the engine ran last week was all the running on it.

7-1/2 quarts in the sump, 1-1/2 quarts in the truck sized filter.

I plan to run the engine again on Monday, lets see what the oil looks like after that.

It looks like a good beer!

post-201-0-98071700-1527371418_thumb.jpg

Washed it. After driving it Sunday and Monday all over, I needed to wash the bugs off the windshield and ft bumper.

Wish my grandson's still lived close, now I have to do it all by myself. 

post-76-0-89308600-1527612900_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Larry it did something and it’s always in the same place. It always looks like there wasn’t enough paint in that spot but when you run your hand over it you feel holes like fisheyes. I know the primer was smooth before the color went down. I think it dried to fast, activator was 70-80 it was 75 when I painted it but probably hotter in the garage.