What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

I have the B&M Quick Silver slap shifter which has an awesome plate made for our center consoles. When I installed it, the long cable, which is supposed to loop around the transmission, felt like it was binding. I found a company that made cables to order, I have a cable that’s straight and right to the trans shift bracket. I finished it up by matching the shifter in the park position to the transmission in the park position.

It was never right. I kept saying I’d need to fix it-but I was able to get it into the needed gear so it went to the bottom of “the list”.

Lately, I’ve been having occasional transmission problems, it wouldn’t go into third and it would neutralize, meaning let off the gas and the engine drops to idle. Yesterday, I really thought I blew the transmission.

Select Performance said it couldn’t be the transmission as the problem comes and goes. “Check the shifter and cable adjustment” was the advice.

Today, I loosened everything up and I decided to set the cable length with the shifter and transmission in first gear.

That did the trick. It’s perfect. No blown transmission!

67240917_641595326361606_5465825327064285184_n.jpg

• Like 1

hi paul nice car great pics on lift. not trying to pick a brothers car apart but it looks drag radials on backwards kind of an ocd problem I have. getting car ready for Syracuse nationals looks like hot humid and rain possible leftover from barry beating up louisiana

Hey Paul,

Bob is correct. They look to be on backwards. There should be the word rotation somewhere near the rim with a triangle arrow.. ldk if you guys are just fooling around or not. Lolol

IMG_1973.JPG

• Like 1

sorry paul not trying to be a jerk just didn't want to see the car like that. with directional tires if run them reversed wet/sno traction is increased but they wear out quite a bit sooner

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you are enjoying her, Dan!  I feel a lot better about letting her go knowing she's getting good care and lots of attention.  Her space in my garage (and heart) is still empty ...

So my car is down again, after a great day of cruising around, I developed a wiped cam lobe. I have a mechanical roller cam with older lifters, Crower but they rely on splash oiling of the roller, which doesn't happen much at idle. Newer lifters fix this. It was probably a lifter roller that did me in. 😟

I'm considering going to a hydraulic roller, Bullet says they can make one that'll maintain my power. But a cam, springs and lifters run up the cost pretty quick so....

Sorry to hear this Paul. I know the feeling well. I have heard the same thing about the older solid roller lifters. Did the wheel come off? Hope not, I have heard if it does all the small roller bearings (like the ones in a driveshaft cap) wind up in the lower end. Ughhhh! 

I won't know the condition of the lifter until I pull the intake later this week. Lots of junk in the way, fuel rails, harnesses....

If the wheel is gone the cam is gone. I'll cut into the filter to see what's inside but I don't believe there's any other damage.

I'm running a mechanical cam which of course has a lash setting. Mechanical cams are pretty tough on lifters, the lobe hits it with a high impact. Old roller lifters get splash oiling-which doesn't happen at idle speeds, newer designs have a oil squirt hole. Isky offers non-needle bearing roller lifters.

Bullet Cams says the can grind my cam slightly bigger and make it a hydraulic cam without losing any power.

I hope there is no other damage Paul. I know about solid lifter cams. Although not a roller, I'm running an old school solid flat tappet. 

Waiting to hear how you make out. Fingers crossed and praying....

Thanks. The custom cam (LS order) is $500, the lifters are $1,000 (!) and I've already learned how difficult it is to change 600 pound open valve springs in the car so I'll pull the heads. Upgrade to ARP head studs, Cometic head gaskets and I really need new headers, the ones I want from American Racing at $1,400 (!) the project would almost reach four grand. While I have all the space, pull & clean the evaporator in preparation of working AC.

Looks like the lifter body at the roller axle broke. I'm happy to say the cam lobe doesn't have even a scratch. I hope to find the broken lifter parts in the pan. New/better lifters and I should be running again.

69132705_439647006621022_2662434996836368384_n.jpg

67828567_461252727805454_582398321251844096_n.jpg

68756676_2457029564356713_1715947547668774912_n.jpg