What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

1 hour ago, Paul Bell said:

one hand tied behind my back and a beer in the other hand. :rolleyes:

So you were better lubricated than the engine????

rob

• Haha 1

My current valve springs have 600 lbs open valve pressure. I installed them in the car. Super difficult, I needed a five foot bar to compress them to get the locks in. I had a bunch of rope in the cylinders to hold the valves closed.

Crower says the new lifters need like 700+ lbs. No way was I gonna change springs in the car again.

Although pulling the heads are a lot of work, it's easier than an in-car spring swap.

And I can do a few other things, like cleaning out the evap box, I want AC next year.

Man, that doesn't look good Paul. I'm considering a hydraulic roller for my 427BBC. nothing like the lift of yours. closed chamber heads('66 vette) Hope you get all the tiny particles out of that engine.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Well, just got my Monte Carlo back on the ground and did a shakedown run this morning (work), seems to be fine. Upper /Lower tubular a-arms, new shocks, brakes (drilled / slotted), EBC pads, upgraded the sway bars front/rear (UMI performance),and a new 750 Vac. sec. Holley Brawler carb. I'm still thinking running rich, might get it dyno-tuned at some point. front end alignment 1st and inspection on order for it. Watkins Glen Vintage Race/Car Show is in 4 weeks and my son will be home on military leave, so we can blast around the road course an see how it handles. seems to be tighter all the way around so far. I know no pictures, didn't happen. I'll figure that out soon though.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

James, my lift is .630/.630.

Bullet says they can grind my cam with slightly more lift in a hydraulic version but it's $500.00, no-needle hydraulic roller lifters are actually $100.00 more and I'd have to strip down the front of the motor-no small task with a serpentine front drive.

I have a magnet on a flexible wire so it'll grab whatever isn't in the filter. Any bigger chunks wouldn't pass the oil pump's pickup so they'll be in the pan.

Well, my Monte has been sitting in my trailer since last year when I brought it home from Carlisle... yesterday I finally started it up and pulled it out. 

Went to the local car cruise near me and it was so crowded I just parked the car far away and walked around. I see a 71 so I head over and there is Greg Blasco (Capri's husband) talking to the car owner. Then I run into my girlfriend's friends and hung around them. Their 18 year old son has a early 90's Camaro and it was cool to see how much interest he has in cars. There is still hope for the youth.

FB_IMG_1565527417134.jpg

• Like 2

Took mine out just cruising around, put a little over a hundred miles (smiles) on it but started hearing a noise and felt a little clunking. After I got home I looked under the hood and the rear shim pack fell out on the drivers side (alignment shims) Not sure why but I assume it loosened up over time. Will get some in there for now but I guess its alignment time again.

Cruised Woodward Saturday PM, not much happening. Drove around Sunday but the speed control no longer was working so I took it apart and now it works. Sanded the two "contact" points and removed the rotten air filter. Anyone know where to get a new speed control air filter? It was falling apart, perhaps the debris caused it to stop working?

Bruce

17 minutes ago, Mikstudie said:

This year, new radiator, alternator,    front calipers and hoses.........

Mike, you should start planning now to make it to Carlisle next year for the Eastern Meet celebration of the 50 Anniversary of Monte Carlo.

rob

So this is where I’m at.

I have a mechanical cam and the needed mechanical lifters, they’re 25 year old Crower roller lifters. The cam is a custom grind from Bullet with the LS firing order. The lifters are from before anybody knew to give them a wheel oiling hole, they rely on “splash lube”, which doesn’t happen a lot at idle or sitting in traffic. One broke, somehow the cam isn’t damaged. I never lost oil pressure which means none of the needle bearings got into the pump, they’re in the pan. I’ll get them out.

Bushing style bearing lifters (no needle bearings) are the most reliable today but the most expensive, a set is over $1,000.00. Worth it to me.

Lifters need to have specific spring pressures. The lifters from Crower or Isky need over 700 pounds at full open valve. These springs are about $500.00. All these springs have different inner diameters so Titanium retainers are about $300.00. There’s no way I can install these springs in the car so off come the heads-add in $170.00 for Cometic head gaskets. I’m swapping out the ARP head bolts for ARP studs, another $190.00.

My headers are kinda beat up and they hang very low. I want those American Racing Headers, made specifically for and only fit big block Monte Carlos (it’s not a poor fitting Chevelle header). They are a whopping $1,465.00. ARH is near me and I know them so I’ll ask to go watch them make them, this is a made to order header.

This hits about $3,500.00.

A mechanical cam is noisy and as it has a lash gap, when the cam lobe hits the lifter, it impacts it. Bullet says they can make the cam slightly bigger in a hydraulic and I’ll have the same power. It’ll be smoother and quieter. If I do this, add $500 for the custom cam and $380.00 for shorter pushrods (hydraulic roller lifters are taller) but the springs are less pressure and less expensive. Going this route puts everything at about $4,300.00.

Either way I choose, my car won’t be running until springtime.

heads.jpg

29 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Hope you can make the 2020 Eastern Meet for the 20th Anniversary of Monte Carlo in Carlisle.

rob

Hi Rob, I hope all is well and thanks for the message. I have no idea at this time about the 2020 meet but will keep it in mind. It would be exciting being the 50th but due to the distance I would most likely fly down. 

Cheers

Larry