What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

I had a productive day, I removed the dash pad and replaced all the dash bulbs with led’s, turns out only a few of the bulbs were bad, the holders were corroded.  Fixed the radio, speaker ground missing, replaced the right front turn signal bulb, depending on the rain I have more planned for today, #2 valve stem seals, tomorrow or Monday Fast XR-I.  Still on the list; get the bench seat to move again, fuel level sending unit, adjust the hood and drivers window,

then decide on; 

• upper, lower control arms,
  • front springs,
  • shocks,
  • 1 wire alternator,
  • heads, (after the valve seals succeed or fail)
  • intake,
  • gas tank,
  • radio, 

Got to have goals in life,lol.

J

23 hours ago, Searsman said:

Started replacing valve seals on the SS 454 after work... got 7 out of 16 done.. finish up this weekend.. had a little oil problem 😃.... 

Only 3 left to do , another day...  left side done. RT side finish tom.. hardest ones to get to...

CA7AA850-DC96-4692-894B-A4C054FAE927.jpeg

CF21D527-7C3C-480D-9C40-1B37796BEA67.jpeg

22 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

If these springs are old, are you installing a fresh new set?

Good point, they are not the originals, but my understanding is they were replaced about 20 years ago.. still sounds old to me .. no broken ones.. but I didn’t replace them.. should have I suppose...was a hard job for a medium height manlike me so I have to see if they last.. thanks for the tip ...

On 11/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, Traveler said:

I had a productive day, I removed the dash pad and replaced all the dash bulbs with led’s, turns out only a few of the bulbs were bad, the holders were corroded.  Fixed the radio, speaker ground missing, replaced the right front turn signal bulb, depending on the rain I have more planned for today, #2 valve stem seals, tomorrow or Monday Fast XR-I.  Still on the list; get the bench seat to move again, fuel level sending unit, adjust the hood and drivers window,

then decide on; 

• front springs,
  • shocks,
  • 1 wire alternator,
  • intake,
  • gas tank,
  • radio, 

J

A lot on the list.. it’s fun though, good luck... 🍀 myself? I’ll never be done...

Just wrapped up a new stereo project in the 72. Removed the entire interior, installed sound deadening material everywhere along with a layer of self adhesive foam on the floorboards, inner rear wheel wells, trunk divider, firewall and underneath the dash. 

While I had the interior out, I gave peices that needed to be touched up some of The Parts Place's interior paint along with the new kick panels with 6.5 speaker cutouts. 

Installed a Retrosound Hermosa stereo, JBL amplifier under the seat, new JBL 6×9 speakers with deluxe mesh package tray in the rear, and Pioneer 6.5 speakers in the front kick panels.  Everything went back together nicely and the car sounds great now.

1 hour ago, McCall72 said:

Just wrapped up a new stereo project in the 72. Removed the entire interior, installed sound deadening material everywhere along with a layer of self adhesive foam on the floorboards, inner rear wheel wells, trunk divider, firewall and underneath the dash. 

While I had the interior out, I gave peices that needed to be touched up some of The Parts Place's interior paint along with the new kick panels with 6.5 speaker cutouts. 

Installed a Retrosound Hermosa stereo, JBL amplifier under the seat, new JBL 6×9 speakers with deluxe mesh package tray in the rear, and Pioneer 6.5 speakers in the front kick panels.  Everything went back together nicely and the car sounds great now.

Rock on! 🎼

On 11/24/2019 at 10:22 AM, Searsman said:

Next?   Inner fenders , should be a breeze , huh?

Out with the old, in with the new. Someone painted the old ones at some point . Ugh!F2E460A5-521D-439E-AD7C-6BF920FE9D60.thumb.jpeg.286aae20c220fcc54f3a38c3b39e0b0d.jpeg

On 11/26/2019 at 8:43 PM, Searsman said:

Out with the old, in with the new. Someone painted the old ones at some point . Ugh!F2E460A5-521D-439E-AD7C-6BF920FE9D60.thumb.jpeg.286aae20c220fcc54f3a38c3b39e0b0d.jpeg

inner fenders all done.. still need to install leveling compressor.. if you do this job, you might have to extend or drill some new holes cause they are close, but not exact... used original bolts but new washers... don’t tighten tooooo tight... 

next job, headliner replacement.. by a professional, not me... 5592DDCA-F7D9-486F-A5DB-2F9DCB7FE5FB.thumb.jpeg.4b7f7189dd863983d4fec0764724e141.jpeg

The inner fenders look great.  Those of us who have installed these new ones know you are right on having to drill new holes in some of the areas because they just don't line up very well.  I can tell you that if you had decided to go with the Chevelle type metal ones you would have had to make some of the same adjustments on the holes.  Your's look more original than the ones I installed 10 to 15 years ago. Mine do not have as much of a smooth finish as mine.  Again, they look great!!!

rob

The 15 minute job of converting to pointless ignition is true if the distributor is on the bench, took me just a little longer, let’s says 2-3 hours, I chose the Fast XR-i system over the others available due to ease of installation, some could have required you to shim the distributor which requires removal.  If you go to do this install in the car I suggest that you mount the module to the plate then install the plate to the location of the old points, as the advance counter weights are in the way and the small (#6) screw is difficult to align. Attach two wires, reset the timing and idle and your done. Got a new PS2 coil and the fast module off of amazon for $62.09.

22 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

The inner fenders look great.  Those of us who have installed these new ones know you are right on having to drill new holes in some of the areas because they just don't line up very well.  I can tell you that if you had decided to go with the Chevelle type metal ones you would have had to make some of the same adjustments on the holes.  Your's look more original than the ones I installed 10 to 15 years ago. Mine do not have as much of a smooth finish as mine.  Again, they look great!!!

rob

Thaks Rob, I thought about metal ones but am quite pleased with the shine and smoothness of these.. almost like they have a glaze on them... another good thing, there was no shipping charge!.. one place wanted 140$ , one wanted 90$ to ship... if anyone wants to order some they can get my email off my profile and I’ll send website name.. fast delivery too... however , like I mentioned before, there probably will be some drilling ... Ron..👍🏻🚙....

13 hours ago, Traveler said:

The 15 minute job of converting to pointless ignition is true if the distributor is on the bench, took me just a little longer, let’s says 2-3 hours, I chose the Fast XR-i system over the others available due to ease of installation, some could have required you to shim the distributor which requires removal.  If you go to do this install in the car I suggest that you mount the module to the plate then install the plate to the location of the old points, as the advance counter weights are in the way and the small (#6) screw is difficult to align. Attach two wires, reset the timing and idle and your done. Got a new PS2 coil and the fast module off of amazon for $62.09.

Install new pointless distributor in mine last year.. about 100$ bucks... autozone, ...

Haven't done to much yet to the Monte, still sitting outside at my buddys place till we get a the wifes cousins clone GSX out of the garage. But I did go up and fire up the big block and man do I love to hear that sound!!! I did put a car cover over the Monte to keep the elements out, since the window and trunk seals are shot.

IMG_5683.jpg

then decide on; 

• front springs,
  • shocks,
  • 1 wire alternator,
  • intake,
  • gas tank,
  • radio, 

J

Hope you get to go to the eastern meet in Pa Traveler... be a Funtime.. love to see that Monte...ron

then decide on; 

• front springs,
  • shocks,
  • 1 wire alternator,
  • intake,
  • gas tank,
  • radio, 

J

3 hours ago, Cooltech said:

Haven't done to much yet to the Monte, still sitting outside at my buddys place till we get a the wifes cousins clone GSX out of the garage. But I did go up and fire up the big block and man do I love to hear that sound!!! I did put a car cover over the Monte to keep the elements out, since the window and trunk seals are shot.

IMG_5683.jpg

Hope you get those seals replaced and head to the western meet this year... that 71 should be in the garage ... not the clone gsx...😁

Just now, Searsman said:

Hope you get those seals replaced and head to the western meet this year... that 71 should be in the garage ... not the clone gsx...😁

Weather broke just enough today to start the 71 and lister to her purrrrr...Searsman

8 hours ago, Cooltech said:

IMG_5683.jpg

She looks like she is frowning.

rob

It's a LOT easier with the front fenders off Mark, lol (stirring the pot).:rofl:

and 12 more bolts....poof, up, up and away goes the body...

• Like 1

The car's been parked under cover since early October but I've been acquiring parts for the next stage in the build. I ordered a hydraulic clutch kit for the 5spd conversion I've had for some time now. I've also been putting together a fresh top end and valve train for a 355 I've had in storage. I'm looking at 400hp/400ftlb with the combo and coupled to the 5spd it ought to make for a fun car.