What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Replaced rear shocks and springs last night. Didn't take any pics as my phone was dead, just the comparison between the new and old. Not sure if the old ones were drop springs or just collapsed. Her booty definitely has some bounce now!

20191222_174906.jpg

Beautiful day here today, 68 and dry. Drove the 71 to a covered bridge close to where I live.. Colville covered bridge in Bourbon county Ky... was nice to get out and just drive the monte... 8902C055-3B4B-4831-A4B6-71BFD17372AD.thumb.jpeg.1e3415aec038fe403da437bfdd101d4c.jpeg

• Like 7

Got one side of the brakes apart, was worried about caliper hanging up but it just needs to be cleaned up and lubed. Bearings are good.  I cleaned everything up getting ready to paint calipers.  Picked up new pins,sleeves and berings and knocked out the old wheel studs in the back. Ordering new drilled and slotted rotors and new wheel studs.  Doing one side at a time due to limited garage space. I gotta clean some stuff out in the spring.

• Like 1

Well yesterday I was able to get the monte home!! Now I just have to juggle things around in the garage and make a bit more room. But now I am able to do things and stay out of the elements.

IMG_5784.jpg

• Like 6

The Monte is allowed to live in the shop for a few weeks, so I'm using the time to try and save it from the elements. There was some surface rust coming through in some areas, and wanted to knock it down and protect it until I have the time and resources to properly treat and prepare for paint. 

The biggest rust spot was on the drivers sail panel, all great metal...just exposed. I took it down to about 90% bare metal and did a quick etch primer. 

After it dried I thought it looked pretty good so I decided to tackle the roof. There were smaller patches of surface rust popping through as it had been sanded on before. I honestly got a little carried away and stripped the whole roof pretty much...luckily I had just enough etch primer left lol. I got in a bit of trouble for going a little crazy and not covering the lathe and mill...luckily none of the vettes were in the front shop!

Today I was allowed to continue...with some supervision lol. Took care of the rest of the surface rust except the trunk. I also explored some of the worst of what I have to work with. 

I'll probably need at least 1 quarter...maybe just a skin...deck filler panel may as well get replaced. Trunk gutter, and I will have to fab up a tail panel/ rear valance thingy. Luckily everything is still solid, so I can protect it and focus on mostly mechanical work.

Tomorrow I'll finish surface rust on the trunk lid, and probably try to see how much good metal I have to work with in the tail. I will also be trying to get the inside patched, treated, and coated before it has to live outside again. I have some Ospho on the way!

20191225_143742.jpg

20191229_191252.jpg

20191229_191413.jpg

20191229_191307.jpg

20191229_191358.jpg

20191229_191318.jpg

20191229_191327.jpg

20191229_193524.jpg

20191229_193512.jpg

20191229_195800.jpg

20191229_195816.jpg

• Like 1

Took her “71” to the upholstery shop for a new original style, headliner... no way I’m attempting replacing  it !... she just loves being pampered , like going to the beauty shop.. I’ll leave her there till she’s happy 😃... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

No one is ever going to see them

We did.., lol (j/k. I tapped the dents out of mine & sprayed them silver)