What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

I make my own.

I changed everything to Aeroquip fabric covered Startlite hose long ago. It's waayyy easier to cut and assemble, bend and about half the weight of the stainless braided stuff. And the stainless braided hose can saw through things it vibrates against.

7 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

I make my own.

I changed everything to Aeroquip fabric covered Startlite hose long ago. It's waayyy easier to cut and assemble, bend and about half the weight of the stainless braided stuff. And the stainless braided hose can saw through things it vibrates against.

Thanks, again sure looks nice and clean. I like the look but its one of those things that never makes it to the top of the to do list lol 

Now ya see it, now ya don't!

Passenger side cooler is for transmission, other is engine oil. Thermostats on each fender skirt. I added a small bar from each cooler to the hood latch reinforcement so they don't vibrate.

Grommet behind the right fender extension is for the #6 AC line. Both lines sneak in front of the battery. The #6 line stays well hidden up in the fender and will come out right at the expansion valve at the AC box.

93495098_1138023029908813_2186123274033823744_n.jpg

93529788_652430272261643_8602823230509547520_n.jpg

• Like 1

Got the steering column lockout linkage installed, thanks Tom and Joe. Bolted the converter to the flex plate but had to call a buddy to educate me on bolt grades so I could torque properly lol. So tomorrow is torque and install the starter and start working under the hood. All progress is good, or as I say on the golf course at least I advanced the ball in a forward direction. 

New calipers are in with new pads. Brake lines have been checked, remounted, all hoses replaced. Cleaned and painted brake booster, installed new master cylinder, bled all lines clean. I have working brakes for the first time in this car!

I also reapplied ospho to the inside and undercarriage, neutralized and rinsed with the pressure washer. Hopefully I can get some SPI epoxy primer on there this week! 

39 minutes ago, 72RustBucket said:

New calipers are in with new pads. Brake lines have been checked, remounted, all hoses replaced. Cleaned and painted brake booster, installed new master cylinder, bled all lines clean. I have working brakes for the first time in this car!

I also reapplied ospho to the inside and undercarriage, neutralized and rinsed with the pressure washer. Hopefully I can get some SPI epoxy primer on there this week! 

Pictures.... Pictures, no Pictures it didn''t happen

rob

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Pictures.... Pictures, no Pictures it didn''t happen

rob

I didn't take any at the end of the day because I was soaking wet, and my phone was dying. 

Just a mounted caliper. The rotors are ugly, but they "were" new ... I'll be getting a new set when I have to worry about stopping on a regular basis. I also need new (and longer) wheel studs...

I'll take some pictures when I go out to roll it back into the shop. 

20200409_175927.jpg

Rolled her back in the shop, shes all dried up. After a wipe down with wax and grease remover she should be ready for some epoxy.

Also, some pictures. 

Don't mind the core support, it will be refinished soon.

20200419_232332.jpg

20200419_232351.jpg

20200419_232313.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got to start working under the hood reassembling everything. I'm starting from the bottom up, so glad I bag'd and tag'd everything with notes. seems like forever ago pulling everything apart.Tomorrow I hope to start in the drivers side putting back the PS, AC and such. 

Progress.jpg

• Like 3

Got oil changed and transmission fluid, filter and pan changed. Took the hitch off and started cleaning out the trunk. Got it about half waxed today too. A few more things to do and I'll be ready to roll this summer (if it ever arives) next de-winterize the trailer and hopefully get started with camping season too.

Got the p/s mounted yesterday, that thing fought me tooth and nail. apparently the bracket only wants to be bolted up in a certain sequence lol. Yea Steve, I had 2 containers of bag'd items on the bench and a few bags on the shelf. I started the a/c re-install but ran into an issue with the rear lower a/c bracket clearing the header. Its always something lol 

p:s.jpg

• Like 1

I’m finally buttoning up my AC system.

The new two pass condenser is done and I closed up most of the gaps with roofing tin. It’s been handy to have a roll of it kicking around!

I have the original fuse box fed from a 30 amp fuse (I have a high power fuse block under the hood). It only feeds the body lights, radio and triggers relays for everything else (EFI system, fuel, vacuum & water pump, fans, etc). Last summer, I had a 20 amp fuse feeding it and it blew, the entire car died. 30 holds fine.

Keeping this in mind, I didn’t want the AC system on the original fuse block. Although high speed is from the underhood inline fuse holder, all other fan speeds come from inside. At second from high fan speed, this looks to be about 15 amps.

I rewired it to be fed totally from under the hood. A new relay over the glove box provides power when the key is on. I was actually able to pull out a 18 gauge wire from the cowl AC grommet and pull in a new 12 gauge wire.

I also eliminated the anti-dieseling and blocking relays.

The blower speed switch is bad. 30 bucks will get a new one.

All I need is an engine in place so I can finalize the AC hose lengths.

AC 1.jpg

AC 2.jpg

• Like 1

Just little stuff today, had to reverse the valve covers because the oil fill cap was directly under the a/c bracket going to the manifold. Installed the vacuum port fitting for the brakes and trans in the manifold. Had to get a special fitting as the stock original one couldn't be used because what i'll call the "riser" where the carb goes was to close to the vac port and couldn't be installed. Joe helped me with my lower a/c bracket issue (different thread) this am so that was another accomplishment. 

• Like 1

I haven't been able to work on the Monte in ages.  Today I went up to the storage garage to see if I could spend some Corona Virus Social Distance time on the Monte.  For Christmas Patsy had gotten me some new Window Felts.  The ones she got me were like the originals on the rear outer sweeps that have that little triangular tab that covers the little hole where the sail panel meet the quarter panel at the rear window opening.  

Each side is held in with only 3 screws so a simple repair, right.... Wrong.  To get to the screws the rear windows have to be lowered more than normal.  To do this you have to remove the rear seat bottom and back, both side panels with the ashtrays and the inside window sweep panel so you  can access the window lower limit adjustment so you can drop the window down enough to access the three screws.

This job fought me all the way.  First removing the seat bottom.  I have removed these seat bottoms many times but for some reason this one fought me all the way.  Finally after bruising the heels of my palms of my hands trying to force it down, back and up I finally got it out.   Then, on to the rear seat back, simply remove the two bolts at the bottom and it should pop right up and out but this fought me also.  For some reason it would not release at the top, especially on the passenger side, it kept hanging up.  So, I took a break and swore at it for 5 minutes.  After that I was able to somehow pop it up and out.

In reality I think I know why I had so much trouble.  I think the last time I did this I was not so "tonage Impared".  In other words, for someone weighing as much as I do trying to maneuver between the front seat and rear seat make this job much harder.

With the seat out and the side panels removed I thought I was home free right.... Nope, I pulled the new felts out of the box and found them to be not well formed and slightly bent so I had to reform them to make them fit but finally got them installed.  

I was expecting the installation of the seats would give me some issues but as hard as the seat back and the seat bottom were to remove they were just the opposite.  The seat back fell right into place and the seat bottom also snapped right back into position.  

Anyway, the job is now done.  I need to take some pictures but my phone battery was starting  to die so the pictures will have to wait.

rob 

35 minutes ago, Leghome said:

No pictures didn't happen as you always say Rob 🤣😀

Ask my sore body if it happened Larry.  Everything hurts from the positions I had to get into... Pictures will come but with the phone running low make it impossible.

rob