What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Today did the tedious job of applying anti seize lubricant to the header bolts, anything bolted to the aluminum heads, manifold and the 2 spark plugs that were going to be troublesome when more stuff goes back on. Had to get a new 3/8 -16 x 6 bolt for the lower alternator bracket since the original wasn't going to work, mocked the heater hoses in. And got the p/s reinstalled! I think (knock on wood no jinx's) i'll be back on the road this month turning in some break in miles lol. 

Progress2.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing that was visually noticeable today, spent the early part of the afternoon cleaning and putting tools back in place, going through all the zip lock bags making sure I didn't miss a washer or clip or something. The zip lock bags with parts from the old 454 that weren't transferable were then put in their own box. I have to get a new neg battery cable, with the aluminum heads the original won't reach the block for a good ground source, and there was originally a ground wire on the passenger side calve cover i'm going to have to find a new place for. Got some vacuum lines in place, got the starter wire ready for the starter install and kick down wires ready to go back on the trans. And I put the plug and ground back on the a/c, pretty much going through everything that was coiled up on the removal of the old. Also installed the aftermarket water temp sensor in the intake manifold, I did the copper line for the oil pressure gauge  before dropping the crate in figuring it would be tedious afterwards lol. I'd like to stay stock (laughing at myself since i'm dropping in a crate) but in my past experience with 40 to 50 year old cars I want better oil pressure and water temp readings. Hope to get the starter and such done tomorrow, then next week mock up the carb, install the radiator hoses and belts, then be ready to prime the engine and get it started. One can only wish but thats the plan on paper at the moment. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bob 71 said:

the bottom of the fender looks dented by the patch panel is this normal or is it a dent you have to fix one of my fenders looks same way

I'm pretty sure it's an imperfection that needs to be fixed. It looks like a dent, or maybe a  fastener was left on when fender was removed and bent it in? Either way, it's on the bottom of the car so I probably wont worry too much. This is 100% NOT a show car so I'm not taking as much time as I could to perfect everything. 

mine is not a show car either it was built to be driven. I have a good pair of used 750 each fenders to go some day but one of the fenders on now has dent/bump like that now the trim hides it good unless youre a monte guy and notice it

Cleaned up pretty well. I could probably just go to filler...might try to make another pass with welder...undecided lol. I still have to strip them and do some hammer dolly work.

20200505_001905.jpg

20200505_001854.jpg

Preps underway for the Eastern Meet. New radio mocked up and heater box awaiting diverter door clip. From there a Dakota Digital cruise control system and new  tires since the current tires are pretty worn out. All that and I will be ready to roll.

Dash.jpg

• Like 2

Well i'm sitting here drinking a beer laughing at myself and with myself for the speed bumps ive run into the last couple of days lol. Went to install the starter Sunday and there were no nuts on the posts (my rep told me GM doesn't ship them with nuts on the posts anymore) and I couldn't understand why I didn't have any spares "in stock", well thats because they were metric. Went to the hardware store and handled that. Bought a new neg battery cable so I could reroute the block ground, thought it was 4 gauge and got home, much smaller than the existing. Don't know if it was because of the old HEI dizzy or the amp in the trunk for the stereo by the PO but it seems both the neg and pos are 2 gauge, so back to the store tomorrow or friday. The guy that rebuilt my trans wants me to double check that I didn't pull the converter too far out of the trans when I bolted it to the flywheel, so my buddy is coming by tomorrow to help me check that. Yes I could do it myself but i'm getting to old and sore these days to take a bolt out, crawl from under the car to the front of the car and spin the motor and repeat 2 more times to unbolt then repeat to bolt it back in lol. On the positive side I did wire in the kick down harness to the trans and reinstall the hooks for the e-brake cable so there was progress made. And on a side note, those clips on the radiator support will slice a pair of Levi's in the blink of an eye. 

• Like 1

I decided to redo how I attached the fender skirt water flaps. Stainless wire stitching wasn't doing it for me.

I shaped some 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum flat from Home Depot to match the outline of the attachment point. Then used allen button flange head screws and flange nylock nuts to secure it all.

95821460_2153413424803811_6808805284912300032_n.jpg

96727356_735095553896403_2208622705027055616_n.jpg

• Like 2

More fender work. Got one stripped, and got more gas for the welders. Tomorrow I should be able to get the other stripped, get all repairs finalized, and ospho both of them. 

received_252440169289707.thumb.jpeg.a9b8c771d929413078924e468acea7c3.jpeg

I might also work on some smaller stuff, like extensions etc. 

• Like 1

Progress, ya got to love it.  

Motor trans and rear are in.  10 bolt to 12 bolt, turbo 350 to 2004R, and 350 2bbl to 383.  Cams broke in waiting on oil to do a change and then take her for the first drive.  I’m sure there are some surprises waiting for me, but that’s to be expected with sooo many changes.  

Still on the list; oil/filter change, adjust the TV cable and bracketry (interference with the air breather drop down cover), electric chock final connection, check the lifter lash,  SS dash(havent’t assigned a priority to this yet, probably the first thing after the shake down) inner fender wells, engine bay clean up, new power steering pump old one works fine but just like me old...

List is getting shorter, but I seem to find new items as I go LOL

3D70FC9A-500E-43D3-9ACC-0AD54D314B08.jpeg

70E2FE2B-0A6E-4327-967A-2A2F355F16EF.jpeg

2EFD284A-AEA8-4179-B34C-19CE0FD60CFE.jpeg

• Like 5

looking good Traveler, keep the posts and pictures coming. My post it note collage of to do items is shrinking from the wall, sometimes I delete 3 and add 2 new lol. Of course yesterday I had to run to Ace hardware because I didn't have a short 7/16 bolt. But yes progress is progress  

I performed a more difficult task today, installing the two screws that hold the blower speed switch on the inside of the dashboard.

I gotta get a mouse who’s good with a ratchet wrench.

But I did discover laying a long mirror on the windshield to see into the dashboard is the next best thing to removing the windshield.

I have these plastic cups all over my shop and car to hold screws and stuff. One tumbled down the left cowl duct. :blink:  :doh:  That mouse sure would be helpful! 🐭

mirror.jpg

cup.JPG

• Like 1

Paul,

I remember doing mine a couple years ago.  Yes, it is a bit of a pain.  I think I held my phone over the dash because I could not see it too well and took some pictures with the phone and that helped.  I was glad after replacing the switch that that was the issue... All I had was off and High before replacing the switch but the switch took care of the problem.

rob

Over the last few days I got the fender and door ready for some polyester primer and replaced some rotted metal on the front of the hood and began sanding it down.

hfnk_L_Uq2pFZ4MUg-_w16rYqEswHHv3DpMsjWHWLUBS5w6DlcUmnMHHFj2i6VV2aYxruV5yF_f_2B-4MxSg2FVC3ZDcNz86H6uj8kNAgHgoEw1lFAh8ATr52KGIaij33PsFLPWzKUDzwWNtMH3zp0FBO7J8STGrBD2vROUTa1Civ8gYnN6yUghdCvanFckx511GWWpbIiuQbXZXR0XwkDLdqdVss636iTzB4Hgq6JvvXE4Qq87tjCIp-JvTAoN6K_ekEehQ7C-vonSKnpFbINdlkqbOFIfv4YiLawCsWMwspm5KTOKHx53NKvY0eg8bsvB_gXLOgTRRpSeSxDePwOxrtcBFmmF8MOMPisc7fsxsOuGHiw_NulmilUqXnNqJX4GoXEIcWWcfeVdfTW7XmPU8sjro0oxyJ77y5MnF6gOGWsQOSfdZl31ZC00amRjmaEd-DEoDADaTd8YjPffxIaZfLcNGinDdjtpZE7OZq3GoUI-YyEtlxcW63C_4oUD1ZQXsM84UdiUjmbDMy3I7y-nTAWD_0yE8xNrR9WqX5SLXW6g6DkcRLB5DxU5d9M0f8cSmHhcLU_buvnpFWHLwtQzx4NKhQTHsNVvlK1YBZcAZc1mjH50URvzz8KDfpCArGv6WW_dd10_rYEIdDeIwEhnZnW05F_q1vuoY-lWnY95_vE63IrMPgW17Zblg=w1911-h929-no?authuser=0

TyacFNksG5R4vw2nVhHOEKmp_QbK38Th36oGNg34I1C6N9JgVcFyXf0PPMcI5670liRXAz7g80w6sLxiCl2YquT2fWxW9zqSAxpF7fp6i7alJVQpBEj8ikW4WuXh_PGkNivBFSquhqwRwsdu2OR2Z-y3rGgSUS1AvTg4J2eAELW48w8ehMuwt6V_qFR2OFgz53w4uPLqXXqeG0xOvrLsv37SUetRBcMVL393RkaRo7mTM9BB_fTPpnH0CWt_23pheSaaeGvyYCmNehO6BoFfmHlKPJtVJiVf_5_x4PNFaq0g9qY0TpZsXRLivVC-QhcOcjn5ucz9zmY3M2YVSn578ufLUD6MCMfmRnhj_4d-HPFdQJL73Mz20RvY7E6s-4rN1WNNJjmTqczu2Rva_5cS1ib8AFvCEoGPkvuItNxHYEehRd7bbUOF3s76T_RJOwPUn2lp0ZwpfE35g2_XMGO-b3JVBHecrhtMO0HBbiixsbwH_X1fQ5LyKqUHYfyxebUrAmPZpV34iPHlMDrQ8jO2dKsckmM_s_LOLYqeSKpqlpkXJqvWPXbnfuTsxV1pPY-pylsWLH_aSChmv6Dd2saID04jeA1U9E_jaP_tE4R7tl_J3Dchunn7QUu4dUg1x-zwJuErNus3O0tiq6kinM-3XGgjkV5ivyyjYIT6ksXBqxisauIazNSdH7W7gldl=w1911-h929-no?authuser=0

xn8iuFJ8yr_c6lSadSLJttyi2L5C0gnwgZb39R1L1Z6J4BV8Jz0hI8vznPabt8kGHGxsx_PYFMUXiYy2x7X4gOHKNJjjX5f3nawRI0eatqP_mLuxCxPha6QOnV4bFmbpsc8G4arBg568A_RCu5Dt16FWkYA1UPdA02sdgpNgHIPVuI4ZODdp56wx3iLSY5grNRrflivqnmGaHyRHr-pONJFwYlEel85z6F98N5TjplnUboypPdv9wLfWVqlM8l9PRXBPkaYsJjtCvkGgK9Lc3ImWiTqIKwXkHDL8vHm2FXDuKWwYdiWVdPMFGbBlqIbqvjpjloJaHDUYp5NsE47PnM3lYeEZfaDg-UMV_UYVtt4D1rAJ4QNGqg4KTIHcxf7n-iw90iWkKWe0_4wOkGZ3v_zJwd7hZpbh7791a5lJg8MKJyPMdMDR8zaynzP7dvqEhVl7PJPCxS7KOmgclEj-Ejzz5LM_7BrMzn8kJhsrUu2n8l0N_KgkYE_UclGfsSm20XlgpFgwxieddB88YmMKudY0VhgoZnqmMJLGtaTQ8mTAQXHcyVcz7Sw8zxbhP9lVvE19owImsomQZ1vdZae6T6NezOf5hu3CHzwxvOOiMfbOZoKgd1rjSeHXDEQFh0GcWh_u0gBD4kO5JHYW6R8c21JV1xOUxAZtNWk3djxog-w_0JcazZDSmBuA1Axg=w1911-h929-no?authuser=0

More fender work. Got both of them stripped. Did a bit of hammer and dolly work, and did my best to recreate the missing mounts for fender extension. I think I did...ok...lol. I'm waiting to drill the holes.

Also got the lil fender to rad support rods cleaned up, as well as the filler pieces for fender,inner fender, core support. Now everything is ospho treated.

20200511_214230.jpg