What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Well I'm so close to firing this thing up I can taste it lol. Amateur tip #? , I think I posted those little clips on the lower radiator support will slice through a pair of Levi's, well not learning from pass #1 I was reminded that not only will they slice jeans but also skin just in case you forget lol. The p/s pump kicked my butt trying to loosen it to get the pulley on, thanks Joe for the guidance. I'm going to need a different throttle cable bracket (different thread) but I sort of figured that. The dual feed fuel line for the carb won't fit, it hits the heater hose going to the manifold. Spent a good part of the day going to all the big box stores, a few auto stores, another buddies house and checking the online big box stores. Seems nobody makes a 5/8 NPT to 3/4 barb 90 degree fitting. So right now i'm just going to run rubber fuel lines to get things going in a positive direction and re-visit that. That being said, with all the cussing, bleeding, and wondering how did I get that bruise i'm learning a lot and life is good lol. 

• Like 1

Not really something I did TO the monte, but more what I did FOR it. The donor went under the knife, and after a lot of cussing, we got her out. I tell you what, it didn't want to come out! Grandpa said he's pulled 1000s of engines, and nothing has pissed him off this much!

20200524_185806.jpg

20200524_190045.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got around to replacing the shocks and springs on my Monte these last couple days. I have no idea if they’d ever been swapped. My Uncle did minor repairs to it over the years he had it, but my Dad always said my Uncle never liked to get under the car. First time for me doing any work like this so I had my dad supervise. Lifted her up and found more work to be done, but she rides so much better now. I just went with OESpectrum shocks and Moog Springs all around. I’m not really good at taking pictures while I’m working, since I’m so new to this my “one-track mind” takes over. Also put new pads up front and dived head first into swapping out the Drum shoes in the back... I wanna stay as stock as possible, but discs for the back seems so much easier going forward. We’ll see. After, I took it for a spin and lived to write this update... I’ll take the WIN!

3112C49F-98F0-4F62-BEBA-0834C6F4C7AF.jpeg

681138FD-4374-43C8-B58C-35E2508B70E5.jpeg

4CAE19D8-A16B-4C25-BACC-F13806DCABCF.jpeg

E5AFB6BF-708B-4FD4-99C3-2BDCC97EA7F4.jpeg

2448CE45-4507-4339-B6DE-37FA50A23B2C.jpeg

3 hours ago, TrailBoss said:

Looking pretty good to be nearly 50. No idea what to do with them, guess I can hang them in the shop..

green.jpg

I put one in our stairwell. Also have one in out living room end table.

0FA039C1-69D9-4C9E-A8B5-70A0A3AB7EF9.jpeg

ADDDE227-97EC-4011-A910-F88710D9FA0B.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrailBoss said:

Looking pretty good to be nearly 50. No idea what to do with them, guess I can hang them in the shop..

green.jpg

Dave, Unfortunately there is not a high demand for those hubcaps.  In reality they were an option rather than being standard equipment.  Personally between those custom hubcaps and the classic plain Jane caps I like the plain Jane caps better.  On the bright side, those caps were also available on higher end cars such as the Impala and Caprice so you could try to sell them that way.

Rob

Replaced body bushings today. It went...ok. The firewall bushings fought me a bit...I also think I was short a couple bolts and washers...not super happy about that. Also, drivers side under door...the old bolt broke flush with the cage nut...didn't have anything long enough to drill and extract so its just sitting in there, held in by the other bushings.

20200528_224253.jpg

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Dave, Unfortunately there is not a high demand for those hubcaps.  In reality they were an option rather than being standard equipment.  Personally between those custom hubcaps and the classic plain Jane caps I like the plain Jane caps better.  On the bright side, those caps were also available on higher end cars such as the Impala and Caprice so you could try to sell them that way.

Rob

I completely agree. I don't want to sell them, heck I never sell anything.. haha. I was just surprised how well they held up over the years. 

Well its ALIVE lol. I'm going to try and attach a video but Ive never done that so sorry if it doesn't work. Yes there is still work to be done but todays task was to prime and time the crate.Its been a long road and thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge, guidance and opinions, it is very much appreciated! My very 1st engine swap and ive bled, fought, struggled  and cussed a bunch though it but what a learning experience it was. 

• Like 3

Its door time! Took them off by removing hinge pins and roller...hopefully I can get them back on without taking off the hinges! Next up is stripping them, filling trim holes, and any work on the internals that need to be done. I know for sure the drivers window is all out of whack.

20200529_213923.jpg

Glass is out, handles off. Doused all the internals in penetrating oil. They seem to be in good working order, so they shouldn't have to come out. Next step is to strip them...and probably find a better storage space for glass...definitely going to get talked to if I leave it here!

20200530_191525.jpg

20200530_191537.jpg

• Like 1

Spent most of the weekend relaxingly going back over the engine and catching up on things we passed on doing and things (like the throttle bracket) that arrived friday but didn't get installed. I pulled all the spark plugs back out, we had them removed to make it easier to get to TDC when hand turning the motor except # 8 (sorry joke for Paul and Joe) and put lube on them. Just fyi I put lube on everything that bolted into aluminum unless it had teflon tape on it. I have to wire in the electric choke, move the mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges inside and bend the oil dipstick bracket to bolt it in. Then its lift the car and top of the trans fluid and the car will be ready for its break in miles. The kid in me wanted to take a few laps around the neighborhood with the open headers but with the current state of affairs i'm gonna have to pass on that. I have a few neighbors that are sheriffs and other dept's of LE and I don't think my giddiness would be much appreciated lol. Also I wanted to give a little back to the neighbors who would stop by as I was busting my butt in the garage and poke fun at me (in a good natured neighborly fashion) and say how do you like me now! So i'll have to finish the exhaust before the break in miles start. I'm sure I will follow the recommended spec's for the first 100 mile break in but I don't know if i'll be able NOT to see what these ponies will do on the 500 mile phase. I think I should order a new set of BFG's for the rear now lol. 

• Like 1

Finished tidying up the engine bay today, i got rid of all my painters tape and colored electrical tape marking from the disassembly lol. I installed the water temp and oil pressure pods under the dash and used some of that flexible wire loom (black) to tidy and hide the additional wires i added in the harness under the hood. I also ran and extra wire through the firewall for future possible adds, to be used as a pull string so to speak. Also ran a pair of wires for roll control (which I plan on installing somewhere mid or post break in). Hope to get the exhaust finished this weekend (rain is playing havoc with my garage work) and trying to get on a buddies schedule to help put the hood back on. Two of us removed it but figured having 3 for the reinstall would be prudent lol. And I can actually say the shelves in my living room are starting to look a lot less like a parts room. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragCat said:

And I can actually say the shelves in my living room are starting to look a lot less like a parts room. 

I love that quote....

rob

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DragCat said:

Finished tidying up the engine bay today, i got rid of all my painters tape and colored electrical tape marking from the disassembly lol. I installed the water temp and oil pressure pods under the dash and used some of that flexible wire loom (black) to tidy and hide the additional wires i added in the harness under the hood. I also ran and extra wire through the firewall for future possible adds, to be used as a pull string so to speak. Also ran a pair of wires for roll control (which I plan on installing somewhere mid or post break in). Hope to get the exhaust finished this weekend (rain is playing havoc with my garage work) and trying to get on a buddies schedule to help put the hood back on. Two of us removed it but figured having 3 for the reinstall would be prudent lol. And I can actually say the shelves in my living room are starting to look a lot less like a parts room. 

Here’s how to put a hood on all by yourself 

E41B3556-6182-4BA4-AD67-F18EF9247890.jpeg

• Like 1

Yea, my other car is out getting a new clutch put into it, my son finally got his car out of my shop, so yep I have some room to maneuver. Have to love it. What it normally looks like 

4CC91821-274A-4367-B438-E280AD336699.jpeg

928CA339-2429-49DE-AF4A-3E02F4DCBAE9.jpeg

AB3BDA43-7F85-4A18-8989-D20CC14449AC.jpeg

6CCE9521-E146-467B-8E82-389BB9BE8BD6.jpeg

80F5CD8C-9105-474E-B6E1-45F17477AA9E.jpeg

• Like 1

IMG-1021.thumb.JPG.2636b02a1540022784d1e79a6afc4534.JPG

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?

2 minutes ago, stangeba said:

I love that song, listen to it pretty much every day 

• Like 1

Chicago or as it started CTA has so many great songs.

25 or 6 to 4

Saturday in he park

List of all of their songs here:

https://songs-tube.net/artist.php?id=3159

I have seen Chicago 6 or 7 times and they are my all time favorite group. It is so expensive now that I do not get to go as often as I would like which is everytime they are within a 100 mile radius.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, stangeba said:

I love that song, listen to it pretty much every day 

Got doors pretty much stripped, just need another once over. Removed weather stripping surround, quarter glass on both sides. Also removed drip rail molding, used wood block method with great success. Started stripping jambs.

Took the 4l60e off the LT1, swapped in th350 to avoid crossmember and drive shaft issues. Engine is sitting in the car, hoping to get new mounts tomorrow and get it secured.

20200606_221507.jpg

20200606_221457.jpg

20200606_221445.jpg

20200606_221725.jpg