What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

1 hour ago, Paul Bell said:

Hey Thomas, an LT1, eh? What are your plans for an EFI system?

Yup! For now, we are bypassing electronics, setting up for carberateor. We have a lot of spare parts at the shop, so throwing it together shouldn't be a problem. Mostly just trying to get it to move under it's own power at the moment. Once I get some other more important things done I'll come back and put the lt1 back to fuel injection. At the same time I'll probably swap tranny back out, go digital gauges, maybe cam swap...

For now the fastest cheapest way to get her moving is a carburetor. 

No pictures right now, might take some tonight if phone is alive after work. Lot of overtime,  so not as much work on the car. I did manage to strip a bit more, and I removed the deck lid. 

My grandpa has been killing it though! Apparently he has been going through the wiring, testing, routing, etc. Went in the shop last night and there is a BATTERY  attached to MY CAR. More than that, I have tail lights! Still figuring out signals, brake lights, reverse lights...

2 minutes ago, tttm2 said:

Very cool, if grandad needs a wiring diagram let me know and I’ll take a picture of it tomorrow and send it your way 

That would be amazing! I'm sure he would appreciate it! 

More stripping. Roof and doors are ready. Pulled rear window, removed tulip panel/ deck filler panel. EWW. The back side of the package tray, under that panel is pretty bad. Now I have to decide if I want to treat it and cover it up, patch it, or replace the entire package tray which I don't really want to do.

20200616_223456.jpg

20200617_001054.jpg

20200617_001119.jpg

20200617_001735.jpg

20200617_001721.jpg

received_184665862981991.jpeg

Just a small update, ive been making progress but took saturday off to go to the drag strip with my DD. Haven't been to the track since last Sept and it showed lol, but had a great time.It was a beautiful day and who can complain when your hanging out with a bunch of car people. Anyway got the hood back on yesterday, what a bear with 3 of us. I'll completely agree if you don't have to take the hood off don't. I still have to put the grill back in, I took it out for the hood reinstall and glad I did. I have to actually finish the exhaust, only set the old exhaust in the header collectors to cut down some of the noise.As you can see in the background, my neighbor is a sheriff and there are a few more around the neighborhood so i'm trying to play nice. Yes the black marks on the street are from me, not as impressive as Tom and his son posted though. I reacquainted myself with adjusting the settings on the radio for the break in miles, gonna need some tunes for that lol and the a/c is blowing cold. So for now its driving and maybe a tweak or two before moving on to the next projects on the Monte

Out.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry this took so long, my truck broke down and I had to fix it, see attached photos for the wiring diagrams, all Monte Carlo related, and nice job so far 

E43CA72D-3B4E-464C-999B-2274F4EBD5A4.jpeg

847D7CB7-1AD5-4A71-A800-6BB1671CA628.jpeg

25DC68C0-DF5C-4417-AE22-72EAC62C9345.jpeg

0A3746E7-2C59-45A3-86AC-DE82610093CB.jpeg

27DE5EB8-8492-4607-A595-0ED414354834.jpeg

276F91BA-ECD0-4941-AA4D-76894C9DAAAC.jpeg

Heading to the Adirondack mountains today for camping for fathers day weekend with Lisa and my daughter and son in law and grand kids. My daughter got there yesterday and they saw a bear last night lol. Have a great fathers day all you dads. 

11 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Heading to the Adirondack mountains today for camping for fathers day weekend with Lisa and my daughter and son in law and grand kids. My daughter got there yesterday and they saw a bear last night lol. Have a great fathers day all you dads. 

Enjoy your fathers day weekend Steve.

rob

• Like 1

Ugly patched the rear section of package tray. Just to make sure its solid structurally.  Ospho treated roof, sail panels, doors, jambs. Started stripping deck lid...its like swiss cheese on the inside...gonna be a lot of patching. Might be a picture of the inside of deck lid for reference. 

20200617_235730.jpg

20200617_235645.jpg

And a 70-72 buick skylark. Same trunklid except for the emblem holes in the buick and Chevelle.  Also, no holes for the trunk emblem/crest for the Monte. 

So I put the last parts on my car today, it’s mechanically complete now, I have a lot of tweaking to do, but from a bare frame 3 years ago to now, wow I can’t believe it 

72F548BB-37CF-452E-AC6E-D7CF05C5D632.jpeg

5AC7E36E-385B-4596-B34E-FC61DCBD6D77.jpeg

• Like 7

Hey Tim, looking good! The link didn't work for me in the quoted part of your post so i'm not sure what it was. Are those gauge pod's mounted on the hood ? I had originally planned on doing the same, also had an "A" pillar 2 gauge pod as plan B but ended up just mounting the pods under the dash. 

Yea, they are, fuel pressure and the engine temperature gauges, I put 3 on the console, and the fuel had to be outside the passenger compartment so I just added in the temperature gauge because I think it is more accurate than the stock one.

816C9683-4B67-42B0-A952-251A5C53B3AB.jpeg

• Like 1

I like it, kinda an old school vibe and I get the fuel having to be on the outside. I just did oil and temp for now, I also thought about console mounting but didn't have the testical fortitude to drill into mine lol 

Laughing, I was trying to keep my parts bill to "essential" pieces. My buddy tried to get me to order electric cut outs for the exhaust (funny how friends like spending your money) but I passed on that upgrade. Am I right to assume your gauges mean your Monte is going to see some track time? 

The only track time it will see is when I go for lapping days at one of the road tracks up here, my 27 old son doesn’t believe that it will beat his modified RX8 on a road track, he’s under the impression that it is only good for a straight line. He’s so wrong 😂

I had a teacher at RIT that said ‘old age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time’ I piped in ‘except in a foot race’, that’s when he told us the story of two roosters in a hen house, lol.  Don’t hurt his feelings too much.

Someone posted on this site that ‘Experience is the teacher that gives the test before the lesson’ and I have the scares to prove it LOL.

Got the exhaust 99% finished today, I mis calculated the cutting that needed to be done so i'm 2 clamps short. I will say i'm impressed with how quiet it is, nobody will know whats under the hood lol. I hope to pick up the 2 clamps tomorrow locally, somebody should have them. I'm going to leave the grill off for a couple of days, I texted a pic to my friend and she said it looked like a shark, I laughed but liked it for some temporary runs. I hope to install the LED tail lights tomorrow, figured i'd better do the upgrade since the first 100 break in miles will be mostly local roads and want to make sure my fellow motorists see my brake lights. Not to worried about turn signals since it seems i'm the only one that uses them around here lol.