What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Another sad day today, I moved the trailer back into it resting place for the winter. Put it on board's so it dont sink in over the winter. Got batteries out and lubed everything up. May be taking a trip in early April so hopefully only a few months rest. I'm ready to go camping already. 

25 minutes ago, rtgz71 said:

Can’t remember ever seeing anyone put a/c on an LS6...good idea though!

I did. It's a "gentleman's" car, or whatever the saying is, lol

20201022_125519.jpg

• Like 2

Finally changed the steering gear box. Then it was on to the heater core. Man is that a job. Got a new core from O'Rielly's and it fit perfect. Heater box was in great shape other than the dried up anti-freeze from the leak. Cleaned it all up and reinstalled it. I have to say going back in was the hardest for me. Getting it to stay in place to get a nut started would have been much easier with two people. I did remove both bucket seats and the rear seat along with the console. I took all the carpet and insulation out and power washed it. Will be putting it back in today after I finish sewing 2 dozen hats for a customer and cleaning the fish I caught yesterday. Gonna be a long day!

Thanks to all that shared info on the core change out. That made it much easier.

No pics right now, but small good news! My car is no longer on a baby bottle! Tank is in and she is drinking well.

Tomorrow I should be able to swap out the old wheel studs for the longer arp ones.

Maybe dive into electrical under the dash...something something can of worms...

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

I went shopping today. 

125431157_10157331017337680_867771132838

I went shopping today too with my girlfriend,  trying to keep her as busy as possible.  Her dog got hit by a car and killed Tuesday evening and shes taking it pretty hard. We were very close to the dog and she will be missed. Our pets are a part of the family!

• Sad 5

32 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I went shopping today too with my girlfriend,  trying to keep her as busy as possible.  Her dog got hit by a car and killed Tuesday evening and shes taking it pretty hard. We were very close to the dog and she will be missed. Our pets are a part of the family!

Damn, that's awful, very sorry for your loss. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing really exciting, just enjoying my Monte lol. I wiped the car down Sunday and put a coat of wax on it. We had 2 days of cooler weather and I remembered I had never checked to see if the heater worked. Took a little cruise today (cooler temps are gone for the moment) and yes the heater works fine lol. The old BFG'S on the rear had me 20 mph off on the speed limit, so I ran past the speed trap solar sign and with the drag radials i'm 15 off. So glad its in multiples of 5 lol. I think this was the first cruise I've made where I wasn't listening for or watching stuff after tweaking/adjusting stuff. Was nice just to sit back and crank the stereo up and cruise down the boulevard.

DTDR.jpg

• Like 4

1500 miles on break-in of the original nrs matching engine. 350/ with 041 heads. Roller cam. Lots of low end torque between 1000 to 4500rpm…. We live in hill country and this works extremely well for us….

700r4, 256 gear ratio….  Avg highway milage has been consistently 20 mpg.

In the hills and local driving it's 15/16mpg.

297940_246686738710581_582823487_n.jpg

fbfoiccibjgknbnb.jpg

giaefclgaonjoepk.jpg

Got to go to “one” nice car cruise today,  errrrr this year! Was ILL during Carlisle pa show . Hated to miss that one. Everything down this way was cancelled..

anyway- the one cruise was Somernights cruise in Somerset Ky.. great cruise!. Approx 1500 cars plus that many and more people... surprised it wasn’t cancelled. It was in sept.. had a wonderful time. Drove the 71 round trip about 200 miles. She loved it. Made her run even better!

Only one 71 SS there. Mine.. seems most people had never seen one so they kept us busy asking questions and checking out the 71.. one gal said she had a 71 SS like  mine but it was a 350 cu in. I said Hum.. right!

a few shots of the 71 with admirers standing around her...  also, looking forward to Bristol Tn meet this year.. and finally getting out of the house!!!

B8C5798F-961E-43D1-A064-DDFAFEB2F0F8.thumb.jpeg.e748f26c3466c4ba49f0c6d3ebd4ebd6.jpeg81AF6D1C-10DB-46E3-8229-82170B5635A9.thumb.jpeg.2eef2f3addd0a9945b61a71fda749c50.jpegE6DDBFB5-0822-4C08-BE2E-3EB3652A45D1.thumb.jpeg.7a0b17d86bfb12547073a483321f741d.jpeg

• Like 6

My roommate from when I was in the Air Force had a gray Chevelle with the stripes like the one parked next to you. My roommate's was not an SS but it came from the factory with the stripes so I wonder if it was an option on the SS Chevelle's like the gauge package was on our Monte's.

Glad you were able to make it to that meet, the car looks great!!! 

rob

18 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

My roommate from when I was in the Air Force had a gray Chevelle with the stripes like the one parked next to you. My roommate's was not an SS but it came from the factory with the stripes so I wonder if it was an option on the SS Chevelle's like the gauge package was on our Monte's.

Glad you were able to make it to that meet, the car looks great!!! 

rob

Yes you could get the stipe pkg as an option. SS was not noted in the vin so you could get any part of an SS as an option. That’s why there are so many clones out there. The only way of positive proof of an SS is paperwork. That’s why my 70 chevelle has never been restored

• Like 1

Thank you Rob, the first gens are  a beautiful design and form to begin with.. so smooth and elegant looking. They stand out in a group of cars.. lots of chevelles at that show.. I know the owner of that particular grey chevelle. We all drove down to that cruise together. Only one other first gen there. A 72. We talked a lot obviously,,,,actually, in one of the pictures you can see the front grill of the 72 sitting across from me.. strange with that many cars “1500”, we were parked  so close to one another and I didn’t know him till then.. I think our Monties were part of the main attraction, as they were surrounded by people... Ron....and thank you Dennis for the chevelle stripes info... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine out today for it's annual new years day warm up. It started up just fine. Now it's in for about another 3 month nap with battery tender hooked up. I'll be doing some stuff to it over the winter but nothing major. Let's hope for an early spring 😀

20210101_113836.jpg

• Like 5

WOW! I can believe that this thread is still going.  I opened the hood on mine to unplug the float charger from the battery to use to 110v power cord to start my snowblower.

I wish we could bring back that word association game back. 

Took my dash apart for the upteenth time today to replace a faulty speedometer. What I found inside the housing was a lot of brown dust type material under the speedometer. I wonder where that came from and what the material was, also if that would have been an indicator that something inside the speedo was wearing prematurely. Being the faulty speedo was fairly new I will give it a thorough inspection to see if I can see why it failed. 

I managed to remove the whole gauge housing without removing the dash from the car, which is possible if you detach all the bolts, lower the steering column, and support the passenger side with a jack stand and the drivers side on the lowered column. I took the opportunity while I had the housing apart to fashion some gaskets to prevent light from bleeding out and around the turn signal indicators when the dash lights are on. Its time to get all the little things sorted before the trip out west in Sept. 

Call my crazy, but I love working on my car almost as much as I love driving it.