What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

Looks good, I’m planning on ordering those same tires today.  My local tire dealer is willing to let me try these in 275’s on the back, no charge if they don’t work, what do you think clearance will be like?

A 275 will fit in the rear without rubbing issues but that will depend on the rim width and backspacing.

7 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Thanks for reply, 8” ralley wheels with 4” back spacing AZ’s(?) or AS’s I remember the 4” is correct.

john

275s on 8” rims with only 4” backspacing will not fit. My 245s on those rims rubbed the quarter panel slightly and I had to bend the quarter panel lip a little to get clearance. You need 5” backspacing on an 8” wide rim in order to fit a 275.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck said:

275s on 8” rims with only 4” backspacing will not fit. My 245s on those rims rubbed the quarter panel slightly and I had to bend the quarter panel lip a little to get clearance. You need 5” backspacing on an 8” wide rim in order to fit a 275.

any idea what backspacing is needed for 275’s

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

any idea what backspacing is needed for 275’s

You need 5” backspacing on a 15x8 rim to fit a 275.

• Like 1

I found a home for one of the yellow letter NASCAR Goodyear tires. My lounge area in the garage. I need to find one of those short centre caps for it.

70DCD21C-8269-4357-B6B5-E426C229CC46.jpeg

35B71068-FD5C-43F6-B0D6-412385539894.jpeg

• Like 3

I put the new fuel filter on today. Got the camper finished up ready for camping season moved it back over to side of house to get the car out. Took it out picked up my girl and went out for ice cream 🍦 beautiful day here today.

• Like 2

Today I gave her a bath:), took her fer a high octane drink and we took off to out first cruse this year. Beautiful day! Wings and wheel cruise in Cynthiana Ky. The only fg Monte there, fg Monte stands out in any group of classics!73476DDA-6E56-4332-AE0E-FFC14F432F73.thumb.jpeg.2e4add0657f28f5e3702c2e9d729402a.jpeg157E8082-D8DF-4B5B-8518-F1C82D24ECF2.thumb.jpeg.a821ad0b309f00f678b80d5c456233bf.jpegFF1FE6B3-02FC-4EA0-9620-CC82FD7E7392.thumb.jpeg.4fa8c458b71e65915b68a3cf6c915664.jpeg73476DDA-6E56-4332-AE0E-FFC14F432F73.thumb.jpeg.2e4add0657f28f5e3702c2e9d729402a.jpegF0B49D34-CA5F-4F40-9B37-D1E8B6552470.thumb.jpeg.4813ea117728be80c324ea4f22d52bec.jpeg

2663EC28-C54A-4049-8050-FD65C2A2DEEA.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have gotten my New Rally Wheels installed.  Replaced the ones I had on with Wheels Vintique 30 Series 15"X8" all the way around.  Had 15X8's on rear and 15X7's up front until these got put on.  I stayed with the 4" BS and up front, I might need up to a 4 1/2" BS as I think tires 245R 60 Series BF Goodrich T/A's with (2) people in the car tend to I believe rub on Inner Fender.  My front end sits below Factory and closes up those tolerances bringing tires closer to Inner Fender.  

Took her out for a drive today and discovered this issue during that cruise.  Bothersome but not especially worrisome at this point.

So, check out the pic's as I initially was Up In the Air deciding, so what do ya think now that I have come back to the Ground? 😁

Doug

MY MONTE WHEELS 018.jpg

MY MONTE WHEELS 010.JPG

MY MONTE WHEELS 007.JPG

• Like 3

Well, Doug, since you asked, I think your front tire rubbing on the inner fender issue has everything to do with your new 8" rims having only 4" backspace and almost nothing to do with the height of your front end.

Perhaps you missed the many discussions we've had recently on this forum regarding wider rims (and tires), backspace and offset.  A 7" wide rim with a 4" backspace has zero (0) offset.  The stock 15x7 rally rims have 4.30" backspace or +.30" (POSITIVE) offset which moves the wheel/tire combo INBOARD .30" and no rubbing will occur (even with 245/60s as I can attest from personal experience).

When you switched to an 8" wide rim with only a 4" backspace you now have a -.50" (NEGATIVE) offset which moves your wheel/tire combo OUTBOARD a full .80" further than the same tire mounted on a stock 15x7 rally wheel. So, it's not surprising that you are encountering some rubbing under certain conditions.

You are correct that a 4 1/2" backspace on an 8" wide rim (which is zero offset) might alleviate the issue because it will move your wheel/tire combo a full 1/2" further inboard.  Note that your wheel/tire combo will still be .30" further outboard than the same tire on a stock 15x7 rally rim but you can probably get away with that. 

An 8" wide rim with a 4 3/4" backspace will get your wheel/tire combo back to a nearly stock location (with +.25" offset vs. +.30" offset for stock). 

Note also that you shouldn't get carried away with too much backspace (and too much positive offset) on the front rims when mounting wider series tires because you will then get inside tire rubbing on the frame on tight turns. 

There is a "sweet spot" where wider tires and rims work fine on our first gen Montes, both front and rear, but you have to pay close attention to the amount of positive wheel offset required to position your new wheel/tire combo squarely in it.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Well I FINALLY made it to the track last night lol, gawd its taken forever. Was having fun, made a few passes and was playing with air pressure on the drag radials as I was spinning off the line. Last pass Monte died after the burnout, had to get pushed back off the track. Something in the trans arena went south, console shifter is all out of whack. Park is in gear, couldn't find neutral to idle the car, and wherever reverse is the car instantly dies. Also no matter where the shifter is car rolls freely. Pretty much had to power brake (lack of better wording) the Monte back onto the trailer. Now THAT was fun! Oh well at least it doesn't seem catastrophic, no huge puddle of ATF but my planned fun race weekend just turned into work and repair lol. I'm sure I'll post a thread after I crawl under the car and nothing is blatantly obvious. 

lanes.jpeg

• Sad 1

Went to adjust my steering box connection at the pitman arm due to the car turning harder to the left than the right. Way back when I did the steering box upgrade I figured I didn't install the pitman arm properly, off by a tooth I guess, causing the issue. Someone told me that an alignment would cure the problem but it didn't, and for a few years now the car has been like that. Anyway, I got to looking and noticed that with the wheels turned hard to the left the brake line on the right is stretched to the limit. Deciding that cannot be good I purchased new brake lines in case the existing ones were stretched or compromised somehow by being occasionally stretched while turning and set out to tackle the steering box to pitman arm issue. Well after disconnecting the pitman arm it appears the splines on the steering box output shaft have a key spline making it impossible to get the pitman arm in the wrong position. So I put it all back together for the time being but will have to get down there and really look to see what can be done to move the steering box one spline and correct my steering. Weird. Maybe I didn't see it correctly as I had to scoot around on the floor and if I get the car higher in the air I may be able to figure out what is going on.  Back to the drawing board! 

Hey James, I think your friend was right. A good alignment will take care of that. If i remember correctly the pitman arm does only go on one way. So in theory ALL the tie rod ends have to be moved to the short side.   Someone who knows alot more than me will chime in and let you know for sure.  

Good Luck

I got a parts delivery yesterday. I’ll probably change the heater core and heater fan while I’m in there. The last time I did the heater core was 20 years ago (60,000 miles). The fan motor is original.

BA890DAA-0263-47B0-BE5D-3145D1AF1088.jpeg

73172FDF-2664-4F3C-9998-E2786B07A769.jpeg

2355323B-BE1A-4A32-BFB5-612E05B4AE8F.jpeg

BBA51355-862B-4F01-9E19-E5E54E2B9CC8.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I got a parts delivery yesterday. I’ll probably change the heater core and heater fan while I’m in there. The last time I did the heater core was 20 years ago (60,000 miles). The fan motor is original.

BA890DAA-0263-47B0-BE5D-3145D1AF1088.jpeg

73172FDF-2664-4F3C-9998-E2786B07A769.jpeg

2355323B-BE1A-4A32-BFB5-612E05B4AE8F.jpeg

BBA51355-862B-4F01-9E19-E5E54E2B9CC8.jpeg

On a non a/c car will the heater core come out the engine side?

5 minutes ago, Dtret said:

On a non a/c car will the heater core come out the engine side?

No, but all the nuts are easily accessible without the inner fender in place.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

No, but all the nuts are easily accessible without the inner fender in place.

I gotta put one in the chevelle and have never done it and I have new fenders to put on. So I was hoping I didn’t have to go internal. Oh well. Thanks