What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Made some pretty good progress on the fan shroud, first time tigging aluminum too, still need more seat time but I don’t think itll rattle apart too soon. I was able to get the top plate and fan mounting figured out today, also earlier this week I got the 454 block back from the machine shop to start deburring and clearancing for the 496 rotating kit. For now it’s all oiled and bagged as it’s 14 degrees and I don’t want to fire up the shop heat tonight. 

716A7710-BAF4-42B7-84AA-178CF5E1B55E.jpeg

0605C610-754C-4A32-838D-20631F457133.jpeg

5E9CD7BB-DB74-4E1D-97A0-32FC8E36D161.jpeg

0C70765A-D22E-4AF8-A5DD-AEE6F7C821E8.jpeg

33B4FA59-81C8-4D0D-AB89-4C8472AA0CB8.jpeg

11B57971-9DB6-4B5D-92CB-6CE5E26F8C64.jpeg

• Like 7

She's back in her bed, safe at home again …1136404725_ScreenShot2022-02-22at3_02_43PM.thumb.png.5f1b2ad86d7ebe8d93826ded46fc228b.png

Replaced the valve guides and installed a new square bore Edelbrock performer intake..The machinist recommended I use bronze valve guides ….

The new Edelbrock intake is about 1"taller and the thick gasket was concerning, so I used a thinner air filter to insure hood clearance… Went back to using a standard HEI Distributer rather than the MSD…

I was never happy with the MSD…  

Runs great… Can't wait to drive her up to Oregon and visit our Daughter… 

Next will be installation of the new LED tail lights… 

Ed  C … 

Not to much on the monte other than working on hood some but it's a holy crap kinda day, went outside this morning and it's almost 40 degrees colder than yesterday and went to body supply store and the paint will be $366.00 for a quart not to mention the clear will be $95.00 with activator primer is only $55.00  guess that blows my budget all to hell.  Also stopped and looked at a truck, 2018 Silverado 2500 with 100k miles $54000.00 holy crap! Think I'll just stay in for the rest of the day 😂 nothing wrong with my truck anyhow and it's got less miles too, not yet 100k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Not to much on the monte other than working on hood some but it's a holy crap kinda day, went outside this morning and it's almost 40 degrees colder than yesterday and went to body supply store and the paint will be $366.00 for a quart not to mention the clear will be $95.00 with activator primer is only $55.00  guess that blows my budget all to hell.  Also stopped and looked at a truck, 2018 Silverado 2500 with 100k miles $54000.00 holy crap! Think I'll just stay in for the rest of the day 😂 nothing wrong with my truck anyhow and it's got less miles too, not yet 100k

Holy cow thats expensive paint and a really expensive truck. Was it a diesel at least? I hope so for that price. What paint shop are you going through? Napa on teall ave? I've had some really good luck through Liquidz on the north side. They have some really good pricing over there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GatorDog72 said:

Holy cow thats expensive paint and a really expensive truck. Was it a diesel at least? I hope so for that price. What paint shop are you going through? Napa on teall ave? I've had some really good luck through Liquidz on the north side. They have some really good pricing over there.

No it was a gas motor, basically the exact same truck as mine only newer. I'll pass on that one. I think I'm going to look around at some different places but I did use ppg on the rest of the car. I got all the stuff at saves auto body ( now colours auto body supply) I did actually get some primer at advanced auto in Cicero. We'll see I still have time.

Today I bought a couple new used tires from a guy locally, they’re $520 a pair plus tax new and I paid $370 for them! I currently have a set of very used ET radial Pros, these will at-least allow me to drive in the rain, and be legal to drive on the road. 

A8C78C4B-43C9-4707-8D75-7A0F9FCE474A.jpeg

9C668422-2059-4FE1-B6F3-7955CA6B9052.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 70MC402 said:

Today I bought a couple new used tires from a guy locally, they’re $520 a pair plus tax new and I paid $370 for them! I currently have a set of very used ET radial Pros, these will at-least allow me to drive in the rain, and be legal to drive on the road. 

I'd say they're not very used since the stickers are still on them 🤣

Yeah he said the only mileage on them was rolling them around his shop a few times! It doesn’t look like they’ve even been mounted on wheels either. Once our weather warms up I’m going to drive the car in to work, make a pass and record my time with the Dragy I have and then swap tires and see how much different it is between the ET radial Pros and the et street SS for street pulls. 

2 hours ago, 70MC402 said:

Yeah he said the only mileage on them was rolling them around his shop a few times! It doesn’t look like they’ve even been mounted on wheels either. Once our weather warms up I’m going to drive the car in to work, make a pass and record my time with the Dragy I have and then swap tires and see how much different it is between the ET radial Pros and the et street SS for street pulls. 

I'm going to order my Draggy next month and the Dr Dial-in app for when the season starts in April 😁

• Like 1

Installed the new taillights today… First one took about about an hour. Second one took about 20 minutes… Very happy with results… No major problems…

The first thing I did was cut the pig tails on the new lights to about 6 "… put the tail light adapter in …. and hooked them up for testing .. Getting the new gaskets to stay in place was the most difficult part, so I use a few spots of RTV...

After testing , the Wiring was simple… I cut the yellow wire on the new lights and hid them in the remaining portion of the loom… 

Then its was red to red….   then black on the light to the blue on the adapter … green on the light to black on the adapter….. Ed C . 

17 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Glad it went well.  This is a popular upgrade with a lot of our members.

Just a note, your links are not working fo me.

rob

Thanks Rob…

I really appreciate the help from club members …

This April, Monte Carlo has been a part of our lives for 52 years… I've logged well over 350,000 verifiable miles in the Monte drivers seat and along the way I've learned everything I know from experiences of others and those of my own… It gives me great pleasure knowing that the car I loved from first sight has finally gotten the attention it deserves… All of our children (4) learned to drive in the seat of a Monte Carlo …..

New ideas are always welcomed …. Keep up the great work of sharing…..

IMG_0033.thumb.jpeg.37e4f3ccc41fd428fe80b042993ef1dd.jpeg

Ed C … 

21 hours ago, Searsman said:

Loaded miss Monte on a lighter weigh trailer to test for Carlisle trip, but have no idea what to use as a splash guard on this open trailer

That looks like a tight/snug fit 😮

• Like 1

Hey Ron, i know they sell them, a few Long Island guys had bought them years ago. i don't remember where they purchased them. Hopefully one of them will chime in and let us know. 

• Like 1