What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Went to a car cruise late this afternoon about 40 minutes from our house.  The car cruise was kind of dead so I cut out early and remembered an old member of the Model A Restorers Club lives not far away.  This man is 92 years old and he and his wife were very active in the Model A Restorers Club but his wife passed away about 5 years ago.  That and with his knees going bad I knew he could not drive his Model A's anymore and that he had to sell them all off.

Since I had purchased my Monte I kind of drifted away from the MARC (Model A Restorers Club) but decided to rejoin it after not being a member for 10 to 15 years.  I knew from talking to a member that Bill was having a hard time of it and rarely had visitors at his house so I decided to drop by and see Bill.

When Bill came to the door he recognized my face and I said "Do you remember Me" and he said yes.  I asked if he felt up to a visit and he smiled and said "Sure, I love to sit on the porch and if you will help me out onto the porch we can sit out there.  We started talking and it was like we had not missed a beat.  You see I was a 45 year member of the MARC before I drifted away so I knew many members over the years.  

It was sad to see Bill in his advanced years and sad to hear how much he misses Joan (Bill said to me, "you know they say it gets easier as the years pass but it really doesn't, I miss Mom as much today as the day she passed") Mom is what he called his wife Joan.  It was sad to hear how he had to sell all of his beloved Model A's and antique Caddy.  As sad as all of this was it was good to get to sit with Bill for an hour or so and just shoot the breeze and talk about the good times we had on Model A outings with the club, all of the picnics, one and two or three driving tours with the club.  It was a good feeling to see how much Bill appreciated someone stopping by to just talk with him.

Bill told me about selling all of his cars but also mentioned he has quite a large number of parts that he just doesn't know what he is going to do with them.  Bill told me that some people had kind of taken advantage of him on buying some of his parts.  I told him that he needs to find someone that he trusts to come and go through his parts and make some lists of what he wants to sell and then help him price and sell some of those parts.  he told me he has fenders, doors a totally rebuilt steering column and many small parts.  Unfortunately I have not been active in the club until recently so I am not really sure what Bill's parts are worth so I doubt I could be of much help.

I told Bill that I needed to leave so I could get the car back before dark (I had the Monte Carlo with me and Bill loved it).  I helped Bill back into his house and asked if he would mind if I stop back on another day when we would have more time to talk and he told me "Come any time".  As I was closing the door, I said to him, "Bill I know you recognize my face but it has been so many years since we have seen each other do your remember my name?"  Bill seemed a little embarrassed and admitted he has been trying to remember my name since I had arrived.  I told him I was sorry and should have told him when I arrived who I was.  I told him, "Wait till you get to be my age, sometimes I can't even remember my own name"  Yep, even though the car cruise was a bust I really had a good evening.

rob

• Like 15

Rob , That was so very nice of you !!

I am quite certain your visit was the highlight of the week for Bill

We are extremely fortunate to have a President who leads by example.  Nothing but good people here.

• Like 5

Thanks for posting Rob, this and a few other stories posted on the forum can give a restored faith in humanity in todays world. A great story to start off the day with 

• Like 3

Great post Rob.  We all need to remember that someday we may be the one waiting in our house for someone to stop by.  Maybe there is a Bill in your town.  Thanks Rob for setting a superb example.  

• Like 1

Beautiful story. Thank you Rob… It certainly causes one to think about how life is so fragile and it must always come to an end.

62 years of being married to her means far more than anything on earth. Without her our home and cars would mean nothing. 

Ed C

Haven't driven her in a few days…. Been busy getting ready for the Fire season… After Hank and I got off the mower , we sat in the garage and had a beer with our Monte… Three hours on the hill side with Zero turn mower did us in.  Hank doesn't care, it has wheels… 101408702_ScreenShot2022-05-17at3_15_15PM.thumb.png.0cda0efcc75ab18bff1c9161d0d70ba5.png35152738_ScreenShot2022-05-17at3_05_18PM.thumb.png.fb4148a5ce4a4af7ff200d454e534bad.png

Ed. 

12 hours ago, EVC said:

Haven't driven her in a few days…. Been busy getting ready for the Fire season… After Hank and I got off the mower , we sat in the garage and had a beer with our Monte… Three hours on the hill side with Zero turn mower did us in.  Hank doesn't care, it has wheels… 101408702_ScreenShot2022-05-17at3_15_15PM.thumb.png.0cda0efcc75ab18bff1c9161d0d70ba5.png35152738_ScreenShot2022-05-17at3_05_18PM.thumb.png.fb4148a5ce4a4af7ff200d454e534bad.png

Ed. 

How many acres are you mowing there Ed. 

One of the farms that I recently sold , I could never finish bushhoging . By the time that I finished the last field , it was time to start all over again. All of which had nothing to do with the pastures . UGH 😫

4 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

How many acres are you mowing there Ed. 

One of the farms that I recently sold , I could never finish bushhoging . By the time that I finished the last field , it was time to start all over again. All of which had nothing to do with the pastures . UGH 😫

As little as possible , Typically 2 to 3 acres actually needs to be mowed.. Some of it can't be mowed and I use a weed eater. The grass on my place has always grown very well, lots of surface water flow and absorbtion,,,,  but fortunately needs to be cut only three or four times a year.  My neighbor will run his sheep on my lower pasture….That really helps.  

The real trick was learning how to use a zero turn on a slope… The ride to the bottom can be very exhilarating if she gets away from you.  

Timing is everything.   Too wet is impossible . Too dry and you'll start a fire. 

BTW.. Hank wears a safety strap… Mowing is party time for him...

Ed.

730D651D-BD41-498D-B439-9C79F109BB6D.thumb.jpeg.ee6da0958a9d1fecdd5d53515a0073f2.jpegOk, so maybe I’m a little premature on this , but maybe not. Got the 71 cleaned in and out , loaded on trailer .. I’m ready for Carlisle. This is our biggest, bestes cruise this year and I don’t want to spoil it by messing something up in the next 30 days gallivanting around .! So sue me :)… she shines like new money !9C2408B0-C34E-479E-885A-398EAF2C6E5E.thumb.jpeg.30e67161afbe834d7023b5d2ca2a81e7.jpeg2D4F691B-0A89-4E05-BD5B-9A5BB5A6BD2A.thumb.jpeg.9293909153eb76a0c70a0ab379ea3873.jpeg

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Searsman said:

730D651D-BD41-498D-B439-9C79F109BB6D.thumb.jpeg.ee6da0958a9d1fecdd5d53515a0073f2.jpegOk, so maybe I’m a little premature on this , but maybe not. Got the 71 cleaned in and out , loaded on trailer .. I’m ready for Carlisle. This is our biggest, bestes cruise this year and I don’t want to spoil it by messing something up in the next 30 days gallivanting around .! So sue me :)… she shines like new money !9C2408B0-C34E-479E-885A-398EAF2C6E5E.thumb.jpeg.30e67161afbe834d7023b5d2ca2a81e7.jpeg2D4F691B-0A89-4E05-BD5B-9A5BB5A6BD2A.thumb.jpeg.9293909153eb76a0c70a0ab379ea3873.jpeg

Beautiful! 

56 minutes ago, Searsman said:

This is our biggest, bestest cruise this year and I don’t want to spoil it by messing something up in the next 30 days gallivanting around .

That thought has crossed my mind too actually...

Car looks great, see you there!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Good, yours is ready, you can clean and shine mine when you get to Carlisle.

rob

Haha. Yes Sir Boss 🤣. But , I bet yours is already ready !

10 hours ago, jft69z said:

That thought has crossed my mind too actually...

Car looks great, see you there!

That might be a good idea for you too. Remember last year. 😬

Ok Rob, after thinking again about cleaning your car, I printed all the emails and notes on this site you sent everyone about the upcoming show and as it turns out ,it’s over a half inch thick . So, maybe I could take a couple swipes at cleaning your car after all. You certainly probably haven’t had the time since doing so much coordinating for this meet. Seriously tho... I recognize and thank you for so much effort.. amazing...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That might be a good idea for you too. Remember last year. 😬

Exactly...

45 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Ok Rob, after thinking again about cleaning your car, I printed all the emails and notes on this site you sent everyone about the upcoming show and as it turns out ,it’s over a half inch thick . So, maybe I could take a couple swipes at cleaning your car after all. You certainly probably haven’t had the time since doing so much coordinating for this meet. Seriously tho... I recognize and thank you for so much effort.. amazing...

Ron, you know I was kidding about you cleaning my car.  I will find the time to do it or I will get my grandkids out into the parking lot at the hotel to do it with me.

rob

18 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Ron, you know I was kidding about you cleaning my car.  I will find the time to do it or I will get my grandkids out into the parking lot at the hotel to do it with me.

rob

Rob, you said I had to wash your car too. I didn’t get no “I’m kidding “. What gives?  I see now that I’m sliding down to the bottom of the list. Lol just kidding. Thanks for all you do. And if you need your car washed I’ll find someone to do it. Or park it in the hotel pool. Hot tub for cars. Lol. 

20220523_144810.thumb.jpg.dd67e4db1bfddd02e35ba0efe4bf9383.jpg20220523_144838.thumb.jpg.aef8c9a8791586f7a021110742128fcd.jpg20220523_144941.thumb.jpg.5ecc233676101e1c12d2f89e2d77d2de.jpgThis morning I was taking Patsy for her eye doctor appointment.  On the way there I told her I wanted to find the time to inspect the brakes on the Monte prior to heading to Carlisle because I installed the brakes back in 2000.  

Her appointment took less time than we thought so after I took her ho.e I packed the tools and floor jack into my Denali and headed to my Monte storage garage.

There was still about 1/3 pad left but all 4 were showing signs of cracks.  

I called Advance Auto Parts and they told me 3 day order, I called CarQuest and they told me they would order them and have them in Thursday or Friday.

I called O'Reilly and they also said they would order them and if my order was in by 1:00PM they would have them by 2:00 PM.  

Job done and all looks and feels good.

rob

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Well done Rob. That’s amazing that them parts were that hard to get. 52 & 154 pads fit most all medium size gms from 70 to 88. 

Dennis, I wanted the original equipment organic pads since I am still running the stock original rotors.  If I would have wanted Simi-Metalic or ceramic I could have had them immediately.

rob

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 9:48 PM, Rob Peters said:

rob

Yep I knew that. But , I wasn’t kidding when I said I would clean it , I was lying 😆. Especially since Dennis is supposed to clean it ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Searsman said:

Yep I knew that. But , I wasn’t kidding when I said I would clean it , I was lying 😆. Especially since Dennis is supposed to clean it ...

Why do I always get heli-coiled????  I’ll do it if I HAVE to but remember I don’t like to wash my own cars so I’m not very good at it. I may miss a spot or nine. lol 😂 

• Like 1