What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

32 minutes ago, Searsman said:

I hope it works out Dennis, on-the white letters. I tried something like that a few years ago on mine. Started looking bad with age.. had a difficult time getting it off the tires too. I  ended up using plain ole bleach white for tire lettering.. works great on mine... took the yellow out tooo..👍🏻:yay::2beers:

Ron,

I think how good well Bleach-White works depends upon how old the tires are.  I put mine on back in 2002 and the Bleach-White always worked on them.  I think the browning/yellowing that people are now experiencing is the result of the newer tires.  It is not only a problem BF Goodrich is happening though on the newer white letter tires.

In 2020 I switched to White Wall Stripe Tires.  I had them mounted a couple days before I left for the 2020 Eastern Meet.  By the time I made it to Carlisle the white walls had turned brown.  I scrubbed them with Fantastic, Bleech-White and anything else I could find to use but nothing removed the browning.  I called the guy I bought the tires from from and he told me to bring them out when I got back.  He also tried to clean them but failed.  He ordered a new set from another vendor at no charge.

rob

• Like 2

Sure could be Rob.. my tires are about 6 years old... Mastercraft... they weren’t as white on the lettering as I wanted... the car is white so they looked dingy next to it.. I tried the lettering dye or paint and it looked not so good  ,up close... I had to scrub and scrub and use the bleach white but finally got them looking  much better .  ..I also sometimes think the tire shine that is being put on tires is soaking into the white lettering making it less bright and turn brown.. but obviously that wasn’t the case with your new white walls.. because you just got them.. I think it affected mine initially tho... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still bumming about missing the Eastern Meet but I did get some monte time yesterday and today. Put front brakes on my 2500 HD Silverado and had to take monte to get a caliper all the other parts I already had. It fought me a little especially doing it on the ground in my driveway but I won. What a difference the drilled and slotted rotors made, more so on the front than the rear. I'll find out for sure next week when I take the trailer out for the holiday weekend. Hope everyone is having a great time at the meet!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Picked the ‘70 up from the trim shop today. Had the new interior installed over the last few weeks after it took close to a year and a half to accumulate all the material. FU, Covid Scamdemic. Gave her a quick bath before putting her up for the night. 

E3971BD2-CC49-422F-9BAD-EE80472F4B27.png

CBF0613C-3351-4F51-882F-FA783AA7DF72.png

B17DFE2B-410A-4697-9AA5-5C8936261C41.png

E3FFA54D-FD20-42D1-8CA9-4AE34A6118BE.png

E4F8183A-EC42-40F2-8F16-8E577B0C0EE4.png

82BB43E6-DF64-477F-95DC-A6FC293D4ABC.png

93C37D4A-56C7-4233-853A-00B0FD2DE78E.png

4A3C77AE-C384-4A53-ADBF-7686DD2E1352.png

4F01101C-D055-45AB-9EEC-B8F3E2D385FB.png

BB9681D7-694D-4F9B-A3BD-98B4F1C8DE90.png

18B0284C-31CE-4B32-A8CC-AD4110CD087E.png

DCA737B3-B9CE-43C6-8795-C679C927990D.png

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Looks great Glen

rob

Thanks Rob. I’m happy with the way it turned out. 

13 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Looks great Glen, they look good together

Thanks Paul. More pix of them together coming soon. 

9 hours ago, Dtret said:

Isn’t that a song “. So happy together…”. Lol. 

It is. Performed by ‘The Turtles’, I believe. No, Dennis, they weren’t of then Teenage Mutant Ninja variety. 

• Haha 1

Steve, nice work!!!  I wouldn't even attempt that, Great hands!!!

Glen they do look great together, as stated!!   Did you get all the gremlins taken care of? 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Steve, nice work!!!  I wouldn't even attempt that, Great hands!!!

Glen they do look great together, as stated!!   Did you get all the gremlins taken care of? 

Almost, Willie… my mechanic is going to replace the float next, just waiting till the weather isn’t as crazy hot.

Timing is spot on now, but the carb still has him scratching his head after the rebuild, says he doesn’t remember his 71 SS being as finicky.

For now she’ll stall when I put her into gear, even while idling high, unless I let her warm up several minutes. But once the choke is close to/completely open, she runs awesome. At the end of the day, I blame Dennis. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Glen said:

Almost, Willie… my mechanic is going to replace the float next, just waiting till the weather isn’t as crazy hot.

Timing is spot on now, but the carb still has him scratching his head after the rebuild, says he doesn’t remember his 71 SS being as finicky.

For now she’ll stall when I put her into gear, even while idling high, unless I let her warm up several minutes. But once the choke is close to/completely open, she runs awesome. At the end of the day, I blame Dennis. 

Just throwing this out there, when I had my mechanic go over mine, he also changed the jetting in the Holley. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Glen said:

Of course it’s my fault????  What the heck!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Took mine out today, cleaned it up from the nationals then went out to see my grand kids. My grand daughter wanted to sit in the car and was playing with the crank window. My grandson walked all the way around like he was inspecting it to make sure its still good for when he gets older.

20220725_162819.jpg

20220725_154232.jpg

• Like 10

The Hot Rod Power Tour Long Haul in 2018 put the water pump on its way out. Car got parked in late 2020 for repair. Last year I acquired a nice nos radiator from Mr. Richey here as the car has traditionally had flow related heating issues. I have both a low miles takeoff 72 corvette water pump and a rebuilt one to choose from.

While I am there, I am doing belts, hoses, thermostat, fuel filter, and replacing the fuel line from pump to carb to get rid of the aftermarket filter that has been there 20 years. Previously I removed all the hoses and lines and drained fluid. Today, I pulled the top plate, radiator, shroud, then hopped in and got the clutch fan. Loosened all belts, AC could just sit there, removed alternator, and PS pump is hanging on one bolt and hoses. Pulled water pump, thermostat, and fuel line, and called it good for the day.

Taped up the ports in new radiator for leak check and flushing and did that.

I am checking to make sure I have everything. I need to replace some bolts and chase some threads, the thermostat housing into intake bolts I don't want to reuse. The long alternator bolt was galled to the aluminum but turns, and the threads are fine.

Please pardon my aftermarket radiator jug, it has been there 50 years and my grandfather put it on. It does well where it is. The red heater hoses on the floor in one pic are staying gone, however.

20220730_133545_97a731d4a5e5608209e3d1ca0c5b18b4d50c7519.jpg

20220730_132932_42b5cd75ba2c7d3eebc420c9c23d109576f01bdf.jpg

20220730_132940_253a5f2e0500129acaf22a5c7f45185e424a3613.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

My 86 SS is currently stored at a friend’s place about an hour and a half away. Yesterday I took a trip up to get her out and put a few miles on her. I’ve done very few road trips on my 70 SS, and since the AC is working now, this was a good excuse to stretch her legs a bit. Logged 180 miles of cool 😎 pleasurable driving! Put about 30 miles on the 86 and had a couple of beers with one of my best friends. All and all it was a pretty good day.

2B7D2E9C-ED2D-406A-83D9-3A020B6BACF8.jpeg

715233B5-1E8C-4E4F-92DC-F10C3DC9D4E3.jpeg

C257D201-218D-4ADA-B021-A875C21500DA.jpeg

• Like 8