What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

10 hours ago, EVC said:

Yep… almost the same scenario here.. Were getting new, younger neighbors and fortunately they are all on board with safety and fire control…

My property is now the standard they are following…. Great kids… LOL all under 50.

I'm way past the controlled burn thing. It's now tree trimming, mowing, some weed eating and feeding the chickens… 12573952_1019953921402329_5151025437179395254_n.jpg.89461b99f5e162e38fd255d1c7839fbf.jpg

That’s awesome. Now that’s a true car guy. Lol. 

• Like 2

picking away at the list, passenger mirror installed, power trunk latch installed, power door locks installed (not factory) amp/volt conversion done. still waiting for replacement tach. Also waiting for left door handle mechanism. I think thats it. Went through the heater contols and everything appears to be working as it should, no vacuum leaks dampers open and close, vacuum at the water valve when it is suposed to close. I will have to warm it up and see if the valve is faulty. not sure what else to check before the dash goes back. I wired a USB plug insde the ashtray to charge whatever. Just picked up seat relocation plates that I had cut locally, need to drill and tap some holes and  paint. 

20220407_131323.jpg

20220407_131400.jpg

20220407_131507.jpg

20220407_131533.jpg

20220407_131629.jpg

20220325_120716.jpg

• Like 7

Very nice work there.  Those are a lot of upgrades being done at the same time.  Since you had the dash apart did you also replace the heater core.  You may have mentioned it but I may have missed that part.

rob

Was going to replace my drivers side inside door handle also, but it takes one with a long shaft because of the back plate behind the door handle.. haven’t had any luck finding one , ,,,, yet...

I didnt do the  heater core, looked at it and I am hoping it was done during the rebuild. I know now would be the time, another 4 hours I am guessing. I am getting too old for dash, or rather under dash work. Who knows, probably another few weeks till we get decent weather here.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Grant 

• Like 1

Well I'm beginning to sound like a parrot repeating the same thing over and over again lol but the first race of the year was canceled because of weather. And I'm tired of this cold weather. Woke up yesterday and it was in the low 30's. BUT it actually warmed up in the afternoon 😁 so was able to fuel the Monte up and take it for a nice little cruise. Celebrated the first cruise of the year with some Kronenbourg 1664's in the evening lol. Going to stop by my friends shop today to see when I can bring it in to have him go over the timing carb setup and such to get it dialed in better than I have it. 

Supposed to be warmer all week so along with that I can get the electric fans, headlights  and other stuff installed too. For those following along I put a post it note on the drivers window to clean up my spark plug wires on the dizzy lol. I know it felt good to get the cover off and off the jack stands but nothing compared to driving it down the road. Thats why I broke out the expensive beer lol 

• Like 3

On 4/10/2022 at 9:38 PM, Searsman said:

Beautiful day to piddle with the Monte..  oil Change ! On the 71 ,not the bus 🚌..:).. 54C036EB-BA75-477B-B730-B99AA19EBD59.thumb.jpeg.8fcc413f47dd40a7ada8365f68f2e34c.jpeg

I absolutely love the color combo , it just looks so pure and elegant ...

AGAIN, NOT THE BUS !!!! LOL 😂😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

I absolutely love the color combo , it just looks so pure and elegant ...

AGAIN, NOT THE BUS !!!! LOL 😂😂

Thank you Michael, I kinda prefer the clean look . I know the true color of the white but I won’t say haha.. it’s kinda off white...has a good smooth shine to it.. the wheels are American racing black chrome... thought about a color change on initial purchase of the car but it really does suit the cars sleekness the way it is now, so I won’t change it... PS. Didn’t change oil in the bus, it holds 29 qts .. 😱... 

• Like 3

Removed my old 10DN alternator tonight and installed the new 100 amp Powermaster 12SI, along with a CVF bracket from here in Minnesota, everything fit great, my 402 had a 7/16ths hole for the alternator pivot bolt, but when I ordered I wasn’t sure so they threw in both a 3/8ths and a 7/16ths bolt. Not that it’ll be noticeable but comparing the weight of the alternator and the bracketry the CVF and Powermaster are nearly a pound lighter. (Excuse the wiring mess, I’m mounting the battery in the rear and cleaning up all my engine wiring)

69F12AB9-A58B-48C3-8AD1-E4BF7DCAAD9F.jpeg

9B60E7A1-61E4-4AC0-ADB1-52AF18AAA103.jpeg

• Like 4

Well I finally straightened/cleaned up the spark plug wires on the dizzy lol. Not a huge improvement with pre-made wires but a little better. Maybe on my next summit order if I'm feeling ambitious I'll order a set I can custom fit to look cleaner. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 70MC402 said:

Removed my old 10DN alternator tonight and installed the new 100 amp Powermaster 12SI, along with a CVF bracket from here in Minnesota, everything fit great, my 402 had a 7/16ths hole for the alternator pivot bolt, but when I ordered I wasn’t sure so they threw in both a 3/8ths and a 7/16ths bolt. Not that it’ll be noticeable but comparing the weight of the alternator and the bracketry the CVF and Powermaster are nearly a pound lighter. (Excuse the wiring mess, I’m mounting the battery in the rear and cleaning up all my engine wiring)

69F12AB9-A58B-48C3-8AD1-E4BF7DCAAD9F.jpeg

9B60E7A1-61E4-4AC0-ADB1-52AF18AAA103.jpeg

Power Master has never failed me.. After rebuilding and replacing the original engine in my Money Carlo, I took mine in to a local shop to be checked after about 80, 000 miles… It was still in great shape …  We replaced the bearings and brushes because we were there… 

Got started on the electric fans upgrade yesterday, man there's a lot of room in there without the fan shroud lol. But of course I gotta run back to Ace this morning, because I need a fitting for the temperature sensor. And how does the engine bay get so dusty in hibernation under a car cover lol. Dropping the Monte off Wed at my friends shop for fine tuning so progress in crawling along lol. And tomorrow is race day, Mother Nature permitting, so life is good 😁

My buddy is racing today back in Fl at our local tracks last race, property was sold, unfortunately that's becoming very common across the country. 😡

• Like 3

On Thursday I went to the store in my 70 Monte and while walking away I look back at the car like we all do and noticed I’m missing a centre cap. 
E40D4E61-E3C2-4EA5-B686-B7ECF1FC4121.jpeg.1eae841a6da2be6b6d556a95012f6a4a.jpeg

I just put these wheels and caps on Monday night but Thursday at lunch was the first time I looked at the passenger side since I put them on Monday. I’ve been driving it to work every day which is 25 min on the highway. I must have lost it between Tuesday and Thursday morning. I guess it just wasn’t snug enough. For the record it was a reproduction cap.

I lost two several years ago but I believe they were stolen at the swap meet I attended that day.

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

On Thursday I went to the store in my 70 Monte and while walking away I look back at the car like we all do and noticed I’m missing a centre cap. 
E40D4E61-E3C2-4EA5-B686-B7ECF1FC4121.jpeg.1eae841a6da2be6b6d556a95012f6a4a.jpeg

I just put these wheels and caps on Monday night but Thursday at lunch was the first time I looked at the passenger side since I put them on Monday. I’ve been driving it to work every day which is 25 min on the highway. I must have lost it between Tuesday and Thursday morning. I guess it just wasn’t snug enough. For the record it was a reproduction cap.

I lost two several years ago but I believe they were stolen at the swap meet I attended that day.

Sucks, but not the worst thing that coulda happened. Better than returning to a dent or scrape.

And your swap meet story brings back memories. For decades here in Chicago we had an open air flea market every weekend called Maxwell Street.  It just recently started up again after a several year hiatus.  But if I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard stories of people going there to buy back their stolen hubcaps, tools and electronics I’d be a very rich man. I had a friend locate several tools taken in a garage burglary on the tables of a vendor.  He collected back everything that was his and asked “how much for all this”?  When the seller responded $350, my bud started showing him the discreet initials and markings he’d etch onto his tools and responded “you’ll take zero dollars and like it”.  Even if the vendor wasn’t directly responsible for the burglary, he damn well knew he shouldn’t have had those tools.  Rotten [censored].

Lotta dirty dealers at Maxwell Street. 

• Like 4

Yesterday I prepped her for a trip to Medford Oregon… Got up this morning and decided to drive the Buick…  The Ashland grade isn't dry and remains unpredictable. 

Hank doesn't care. IMG_2290.thumb.jpeg.ec9aab518f4dfe09ed42f5824875a3b3.jpeg

BTW….

Any of you who may have driven on that stretch of I 5  knows how dangerous it is,,,, especially the north bound downhill side into Ashland Oregon. The Donner summit on I 80 in Northern Calif is nothing but a 60 mile down hill joy ride in comparison… 

your going to miss those except at the pumps, the highway. I have a set 2.56 gears. Just kidding. I had, I thought 3.08s in my 71 monte with a 402 and if I stayed under 90 mph I could get as high as 22 mpg. That was when I could get a gallon for .48 cents. That might date me a little. 

• Like 4